Search for content in message boards

Slaves of Edward Carrington

Slaves of Edward Carrington

Posted: 29 Jul 2002 8:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Jun 2004 12:37PM GMT
Surnames: CARRINGTON
I am trying to locate any AA Carrington's in the State of Virginia to help with my family tree. This is the only state that I have ever heard of any Carrington's. A slave owner named Edward J. Carrington was from Cumberland County, VA and when he came to Texas he brought 10 of his 14 children and 83 slaves. He settled in Seven Oaks Texas and there is a cemetery there that I plan to visit soon to see if I can find anymore information. The information go on to say that by 1858 he was the wealthiest man in Polk County, Texas.

Any other Carrington's looking for this information can e-mail me.

Re: Slaves of Edward Carrington

Doyle Carrington (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2002 10:41PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jun 2004 12:37PM GMT
I too am trying to trace my african ancestory. My great grand parents were born in Virginia and moved to Georgia and Alabama before settling in Teal Prairie, Texas (near Bryant).

Posted: 10 Sep 2002 11:12PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jun 2004 12:38PM GMT
Try looking around South Hill, VA located in Mecklenburg County and along the VA/NC border.

Posted: 1 Oct 2002 4:44AM GMT
Edited: 17 Jun 2004 12:38PM GMT
I have quite a bit of information in the African American Carringtons of Prince Edward County, VA which is right next to Cumberland County. I'm the genealogist for the Scott-Carrington family of Prince Edward County, VA. I live in New York City but my mother was born in VA.. Send any e-mail to beyny@mail.com as well as the above address.

Thomas M Carrington (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2002 5:37PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jun 2004 12:39PM GMT
I was amazed to see your listing. I am trying desperately to locate ancestors. All I know is my grandfather is Fred D Carrington from Mississippi. He was the first black aviation officer in the US Army. I believe he married a Black Foot Indian wife. My family is now concentrated in Chicago and a few in California. Any information on how to get your book would be great. Also any other info you could give me on my search. Thanks, TC

Kat (View posts)
Posted: 28 Dec 2002 6:27AM GMT
Edited: 17 Jun 2004 12:39PM GMT
Curious? Do you have any information on the Carrington's from Halifax County VA???

Posted: 3 May 2003 2:03PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jun 2004 12:40PM GMT
Surnames: Carrington
I too am researching AA Carringtons from Virginia. My great grandmother was Sarah Carrington. Her father was Andrew Carrington, a mulato. I have found them in the 1860 Virginia census in the City of Petersberg. However, he was a free man, so your slave owner would have had to free him before leaving VA.

Your Carringtons may be siblings or other relatives. What was the name of your ancestor? Also when did the slave owner move to Texas?

Thanks for any help.

Posted: 17 Jun 2004 2:40AM GMT
Edited: 17 Jun 2004 12:41PM GMT
Surnames: Carrington, Cary
ill look through my notes and sent either the note or website to you guys where i found a Carrington that married a Cary in Gloucester,VA. I would check there if i were u all.
I dont have this surname in my family as far as i know but i do remember reading over that name several times in this website

Posted: 23 Jun 2005 9:19PM GMT
Thanks for your help. I have just found your email. 6/23/05

Posted: 23 Jun 2005 9:22PM GMT
Thanks. Just read your email. I have been away.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic