Search for content in message boards

Running Brothers Keeper 5.2G on Windows Vista

Running Brothers Keeper 5.2G on Windows Vista

Posted: 4 Jun 2007 2:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Recently I upgraded my PC's operating system. I installed Windows Vista. It looks lovely, but is something of a resource-hog, so unless you have an up-to-date PC with lots of memory and a fast processor, you may find many applications run noticeably slower than they did with XP or Windows 2000.

Worst of all, I was heartbroken to discover that Vista was unable to run my beloved BK5.2G. I am so attached to this classic (and in my humble view unsurpassed) software for reasons that others have mentioned elsewhere.

I was considering creating a separate partition to run BK5.2 under Windows 2000, however that has been unnecessary as I have found software which enables me to run Windows 2000 (or most other operating systems, and consequently the programs which run on them) from WITHIN Windows Vista, and best of all it's free!

The software is Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. It is available for download here -

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualp...

I installed Virtual PC 2007 onto my Vista PC, then installed Windows 2000 into Virtual PC, then installed Brothers Keeper 5.2G into that! I found it most convenient to create a separate partition on my hard drive for storing the BK data files on - that way, the data files are more likely to avoid possible corruption from a system restore or somesuch operation.

The only downside is that BK5.2G runs relatively slowly - at about 10% of the speed that BK5.2G ran as a stand-alone application under Windows XP. Yet this is a burden that I can bear, for the overwhelming advantage is that BK5.2G CAN be run from a window within Vista!

Re: Running Brothers Keeper 5.2G on Windows Vista

Posted: 10 Jun 2007 1:53PM GMT
Is it that you are running Dos ver of Brother's Keeper 5.2G?
Have you tried the Windows Ver 5.2 ?

Posted: 10 Jun 2007 3:49PM GMT
Hi. Its the Windows version of 5.2 that I'm running. It was a struggle to get it running on Windows 2000 and Windows XP, but I found it completely impossible to install it and get it working in the normal way on Windows Vista (I have the Business edition) without resorting to the use of the Microsoft Virtual Machine 2007. I don't know if this is due to Vista itself or caused by my computers hardware, such as a graphics card problem.

If anyone HAS succeeded in getting it to run on Vista WITHOUT resorting to Virtual Machine I'd be interested to know how they managed it, because Virtual Machine slows things down greatly - it is, after all, a software emulation of another PC.

I see no reason why the DOS version of 5.2 couldn't run on Vista via the Virtual Machine, if you were to install a suitable legacy operating system into Virtual Machine.

Posted: 15 Jul 2007 9:41AM GMT
Have just installed a recently released Microsoft Update for Vista, KB935280 which is designed to help several older programs run under the Vista operating system, and the good news is that Brothers Keeper 5.2G now works fine with Vista, in fact it runs better than it did on some of my Windows 2000 and XP machines!

I installed it in Windows 95 compatible mode.

Posted: 31 Dec 2007 3:33AM GMT
Is there a reason that you have not upgraded to BK 6.2 - I have had no problems with it and I am running it on Vista, XP home and Pro, and using a file server to boot.

Posted: 31 Dec 2007 5:09PM GMT
The reason I haven't 'upgraded' to 6.2, despite testing it, is that I prefer the appearance of 5.2! As several others have said elsewhere, I find the most relevant information is presented in a more accessable way with old 5.2.

I've now running 64-bit Vista on a new PC with 2.66 GHz dual core processor and 4GB of memory, and find that I can only run Brothers Keeper 5.2G using the Virtual Machine. I've currently loaded Windows 98 into it and with hardware virtualization enabled BK 5.2G runs incredibly quickly - much faster than on my old 3.2GHz Celeron PC under 32 bit Vista!

Posted: 31 Dec 2007 10:20PM GMT
Thanks for the info - I like the new version - I guess that is personal preference. I also can't stand windows vista - what a pain it is to setup. Good hubting in genealogy.

Posted: 6 Aug 2008 11:23AM GMT
Before I started my family history project in 2001 I picked up a free download of BK5.2

I tried many of the other Genealogy software once I got started and didnt find one i liked so stuck with BK5.2

Later I purchased a laptop to add to my desktop and its main function at first was to accompany me on my research trips to libraries and records offices. I took the opportunity to purchase BK6 at the time to get hold of a manual to see what functions in the software i hadnt made use of. I found when I uploaded my GEDCOM form the BK5.2 desktop to the BK6 on the laptop I lost what i considered far too much crucial information. Also i foudn it looked like too many fo the other products I had tried and rejected.

Specifically I make considerable use of the 7 blank text lines per person to record birth death and cnesus details in full. When I export the data to a gedcom and send it to Rootsweb for example that data coopies across intact but when I import that same GEDCOM into BK6 and many other genalogy software it is lost completely. Similarly I had customised the 2 lines for marriage recording and some of the less useful lines on the person records all of which gets lost in a GEDCOM transfer so i much prefer BK5.2 to anything else for recording my raw data.

I am on my 2nd laptop now and it is 6 years old and has ahd a number of faults and repairs leading my wife to worry about it packing up entirely ( ironically it is running better than ever currently as I doubled the RAM at last repair. It runs XP with service pack 2. ( I do have both online and memory stick backup regimes in place as well as copies of the data and program on my wife's desktop also running XP so i am not that vulnerable.

However my wife has just acquired a new laptop free with a mobile phone contract and wants me to have that and her to take over my old laptop. The problem is it runs Vista and wont even allow a lot of old software to install giving some obscure incompatability messages. It is runing Vista with service pack 1 I have heard some horrendous tales of Vista service pack 2 (i am scrupulous about not running Microsoft Updates - they test everything out in the wild and I lost my first laptop to XP service pack 1 whcih disabled all USB ports and apparently the motherboard itself! so where do i stand re BK5.2 on Vista with SP1. Does that include your fix to emulate older windows versions or would I need to upgrade it. Personally i want to stick with my old laptop but the wife is definitely scowling about that!

Posted: 6 Aug 2008 1:44PM GMT
Edited: 7 Aug 2008 2:09PM GMT
I am not sure why you were using gedcom transfer from one version of BK to another. I just usually use the upgrade program included. My wife and I have been using BK since it's early days and love it. We have had very few problems and notes to the programmer (owner) of the company have always been returned in a timely manner. I bought my wife a Vista laptop for Christmas and BK6 seems to run just fine. We have not tried to import many GEDCOM files, so I cannot tell you what we would lose. With BK6 you have the ability to select the data you want exported (and to what fields in the GEDCOM).

Any questions - write me @ sixpack127@wowway.com

Posted: 6 Aug 2008 2:34PM GMT
Youre right of course. My first attempt at transferring my data was through the inbuilt conversion tool within BK6 to ove from BK5. I lost far too much of my data that way so attempted to use the GEDCOM method to build the data instead with no better result. i lost all Source information for example.

I consdiered starting from scratch using the new version but didnt like it, and it was far too big a job so I uninstalled BK6, reinstalled 5.2 from my original download and then recovered from my backup and have kept with 5.2 ever since. I found BK6 had lost everything that made 5.2 different to everything else on the market.

Each to his own - there's a lot to be said for finding software you like and does the job for you and sticking with it I am sure you will agree.

My data now runs to 14500 individuals so I would not like to lose a single byte of that data and have to retrace my research steps to build it again.

I started doing my wife's ancestry afer my second marriage 2 years ago and installed Rootsmagic on her desktop which I now use as a subset consisting of her data whilst incorporating her data also into my own tree on my laptop. Rootsmagic is a good package but I prefer the ways I use my BK5.2 Currently I am thinking of installing Legacy for its charting functions which is certainly a weakness in my BK5.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions