Search for content in message boards

Guess that letter!

Guess that letter!

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 7:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have the rest of the set figured out (or at least with guesses that I'm comfortable enough with), but this particular letter has me scratching my head. These are the only two examples of this letter that I found in six pages. (Lucky me, I ended up with three sequential sets from this timeframe. I do hope that trusted keyer is off for this project...)

The page is from 1706, and the handwriting is somewhat transitional, with a mishmash of Gothic, Kurrent, and modern. That said, the clerk seems to be mostly consistent regarding which forms of S, G, D, and J he uses, and this definitely doesn't match his standard forms of those.

T or Z, maybe? Or since the only given name I can think of that ends in "...bhart" or "...bhard" is "Gebhart", perhaps it's a G that's unlike every other G this scribe (or any other) wrote?
Attachments:

Re: Guess that letter!

Posted: 18 Dec 2012 11:27AM GMT
It's an L

Libhart
Levin

Posted: 18 Dec 2012 5:54PM GMT
I agree

Posted: 18 Dec 2012 5:58PM GMT
Kate,
the trusted keyer button is on for this project. Because most of myn are going through without being reviewed. I checked that with Paul some time ago.

Posted: 20 Dec 2012 5:23AM GMT
Thanks for the letter help.

As for trusted keyer, well, I just hope that my guesses on these older pages are close enough to help folks, because some of these clerks had truly horrendous handwriting (and spelling).

Posted: 20 Dec 2012 8:23AM GMT
You are right. I am a native German speaker and still find some of them very difficult to interpret. I can only do one or two a day of those and than turn to easier one so I don't loose motivation.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions