Search for content in message boards

Who was the widow Glover who was hanged?

Who was the widow Glover who was hanged?

Posted: 11 Jun 2003 8:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
In Samuel Sewall's diary there is a notation for the year 1688 that on November 16 the Widow Glover was hanged. Does anyone out there know who she was?

Re: Who was the widow Glover who was hanged?

Posted: 12 Aug 2003 12:45AM GMT
In my notes, with no details, is a sentence I wrote down that says:
Mrs. Glover, hanged in 1688 after confessing during the Salem, MA witch trials. I know some group of Glovers, left Salem, MA in the years that followed and moved to Long Island, NY, and then on to NJ. (It was a very iffy connection at best with my family line, so I didn't pay too much attention to it. I don't have the documentation, but there is a place to start.) Good luck.

Posted: 16 Feb 2004 3:02AM GMT

Posted: 21 Apr 2008 11:37AM GMT
Classification: Death
Surnames: Glover
Goody Glover

Following an argument with laundress Goody Glover, Martha Goodwin, 13, begins exhibiting bizarre behavior. Days later her younger brother and two sisters exhibit similar behavior. Glover is arrested and tried for bewitching the Goodwin children. Reverend Cotton Mather meets twice with Glover following her arrest in an attempt to persuade her to repent her witchcraft. Glover is hanged. Mather takes Martha Goodwin into his house. Her bizarre behavior continues and worsens.

http://www.salemwitchtrialsfacts.com/salemwitchtrialstimelin...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic