Search for content in message boards

Hazlett's in Tarentum or Allegheny Co. PA

Hazlett's in Tarentum or Allegheny Co. PA

Posted: 5 Dec 2005 9:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
My husband's mother was a Hazlett. She was born Margaret M. Hazlett to Edward H. and Helen Irene Houck Hazlett in 1916 in PA (Tarentum). Her parents died in 1929 and 1928 respectfully. Her parents are buried in Millertown Cemetery. She has siblings, Edward, George, Alice (who married Kenneth Bows?), (I believe there was also a Leah who must have died early because she is not listed in his obit). Edward H.'s parents were John and Alice Hazlett. After John died Alice married a Hewitt. They all lived in Tarentum. Edward H. worked at the Penn Iron and Steel Company. The oldest son George died in 1964. He had married Martha Belle Kirkland. He had children George A. Hazlett Jr., Janet Hazlett (married a Hoscheid) and Alice who was unmarried and still living at home in 1964. There were 4 grandchildren. Margaret had married a Charles Joseph Jentgens in 1934. Any help with this line appreciated. Thanks for your time and effort. Peggy J. PPJent@aol.com

Re: Hazlett's in Tarentum or Allegheny Co. PA

Posted: 6 Dec 2005 7:25PM GMT
Surnames: Lewetag Baron
Peggy take a look at the book on West Deer I have posted

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~westdeertownship/Open...

here is the family "history" from that book. I think there are a couple of pix as well if I remeber correctly

The Hazlett Family

William Hazlett emigrated from Ireland sometime in the last quarter of the eighteenth century, settling in what is now West Deer Township. He may have come here even before Deer Township was formed. Old records indicate that Hazlett School existed on his farm by 1800. Family records indicate that he married a Miss Lesley and became a farmer. His homestead was just south of the Culmerville- Bakerstown Road, east of Logan Road.

A son, George Hazlett, was born in 1800. In 1829 he married Eliza Karns, from what is now Harrison Township and Brackenridge, and shortly afterward moved to that area for the next twenty-one years. In 1851 the Hazletts returned to that old homestead. They had three sons and three daughters but only the sons survived their parents, who died in 1870 and 1871.

One of the sons, James E., was born on the Harrison- Brackenridge site and moved with his family to West Deer in 1851. In 1859 at the age of twenty-two he married Nancy Porter, whose grandfather, Robert Porter, was one of West Deer's pioneers. This union bore six children, two of whom were life-long West Deer residents. Clara A. married Dr. Daniel G. Rowley and later taught school for many years in the Culmerville Schools. George W. married Margaret May McCorkle of Dorseyville and established himself as a progressive farmer on the Hazlett farm, the farmstead which is located behind the present West Deer Municipal building (Curtisville School). Their two sons, Karns and William, have been well known in West Deer for many years.

Karns married Sarah Bryson of Gibsonia and to them two sons were born. Vernon lives in State College where he is with the Animal Sciences in Penn State's College of Agriculture. He has two children. James, the younger son, is married to Nancy Mitrecik of Hampton Township and they live on part of the Hazlett farm. They have three children, Todd James, Tracy Jane, and Tara Jean. These children are the seventh generation to bear the Hazlett name in West Deer Township and the fourth generation to live on the same land.

William married Flora Fredley of West Deer and lives on part of the Hazlett farm. They have two children, a boy and a girl. Carl, an attorney, lives in Tucson, Arizona and has four children. Janice is married to Harold Cunningham of West Deer and their home is on Christy Road. They have three children, Sharon, Scott, and Amy. These children are the seventh generation on the Cunningham side to live in West Deer.

Hazletts in Tarentum and Fawn Twp. Allegheny Co. PA

Posted: 4 Jan 2006 4:34AM GMT
Surnames: Hazelet, Hazlett
Peggy,

In the 1920 Census you Edward H. Hazlett was age 25, and living in Tarentum, Allegheny Co., PA.

I looked the WWI draft registrations on Ancestry.com and found his registration. This gives his name as Edward Henry Hazlett, residing in Tarentum, PA, age 23, signed June 5th 1917. He was born on May 3rd 1894, in Fawn Twp. PA, which is in Allegheny Co., just north of Tarentum. He was a Steelworker at Allegheny Steel in Brackenridge, PA.

I search the 1900 census (on Ancestry.com) for Edwards in Fawn Twp., Allegheny Co. PA who were born in 1894 and found the following entry on page 188B (stamped number) line 59:

Hazeles John Head W M Sept 1866 33 M 9 Coal Miner
" Alice E A wife W F Jan 1875 24 M 9 3 3
" Lewis C son W M Feb 1893 7 S In School
" Edward H son W M May 1894 6 S
" Ruby G daug W M Aug 1986 3 S
All born in PA.
This was indexed under John Haziles on Ancestry, under John Hazeles on Heritage Quest, but probably the name should Hazelet.

Posted: 15 Mar 2006 3:34PM GMT
Surnames: Hazlett
Do you have a Porter N. Hazlett in your family history? I'm looking for his children to help a person in the state of Indiana. I live in Tarentum, PA.

Elizabeth Fischer (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2006 3:30AM GMT
Surnames: Daut/Doutt, Nolte/Nulty, Wellinger, Schwartz, Jordan, Rehner, Coon/Kuhn, Hazlett, Blose, Niel/Neel/Neal/Neil,
I have Hazletts in my family from that area, but no Porter at this time. Sorry

Posted: 11 Apr 2006 8:22PM GMT
Surnames: Baron, Lewetag
I am not tracing Hazlett line (although I went to school with one of them) I just put the book of West Deer on line. I am not in Pa any longer but in Oregon sorry take a look through the book you can download and search

Posted: 11 Jun 2006 5:31AM GMT
I just happened to type in Porter Hazlett to see if I would get any hits on rootsweb message boards and I did. In my family tree I have a Porter Hazlett married Catherine Fox. She was born in 1887 but I do not know what year he was born. They had a son James T. Hazlett born 1906 and died 1907. I don't know what happened to him after that because Catherine remarried. They were in the Tarentum - Lardintown area. If you would like to email me and let me know if this sounds familiar I will see what else I can find. Catherine Fox would have been my gg aunt.

Colleen Lasichak
Superkidsz@aol.com

Posted: 11 Jun 2006 4:16PM GMT
Edited: 12 Aug 2006 2:13AM GMT
Please forword any information you have on Porter Hazlett. Do you know where they are buried? It might be Millertown Cemetery or Pleasant Uniity Presby. Church Cemty.I have a very large file on the Hazlett family in Allegheny & Butler Co., PA. This is my husband's family starting in Butler Co.,PA. I live in Tarentum and Millertown is located about 3 miles from my home. Millertown has 1 church, Millertown Methodist Church and just out of the village is Pleasant Unity Prebyterian Church and cemetery. Many members of the Hazlett family lived in this area of Fawn Twp., Allegheny Co.,PA. I also know the Fox name. I will look in my files for Catherine Fox. Please reply. Libby

Peggy J (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jun 2006 5:59PM GMT
Hi Libby: Just thought I would touch base with you about Porter. I do have some info on him but not a lot. I am the one that is working on John Hazlett who married Alice Goldinger and then he died and she married Thomas Hewitt. She had several children by both husbands...one of them being my mother-in-laws father. Edward Henry Hazlett. I have contacted you several times and would love to know what you have on the hazlett's in the Fawn Twp area. That is where it seems they rested (and started out maybe). Thanks for your help. Peggy J.

Posted: 11 Jun 2006 8:02PM GMT
Edited: 12 Aug 2006 2:13AM GMT
I know one of the Hazletts was a bus driver. One of the Hazletts lived next door to me, but she was raised by a Parkinson family. Her father is deceased but I have lots of OB's on this family. I have not gotten to the newspaper to get the ob on Thomas Hewitt. His granddaughter, my girlfriend is very ill. The ob should list his children. I think I send you his dates. The McIntyre, Jones, Fox families are related to the Hazlett families. They lived in 5th St., Campton area of Natrona Hgts, Harrison Twp., and Fawn Twp., of Allegheny Co.,PA. Look in the census records for these areas. I spoke to Judy McIntyre, who I went to school with and Porter Hazlett was related to her. I just have to look at my notes on Hazlett. I think his grave site is at Pleasant Unity Presbyterian Church Cemetery, 188 Millerstown-Culmerville Road, Tarentum, PA. 15084. I suggest you write to the church and ask them to search their cemetery records and request a list of Hazletts buried there. Must go for now. Libby
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions