Search for content in message boards

Armes family from Michigan

Armes family from Michigan

Posted: 3 Jul 2005 3:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Jul 2005 2:10PM GMT
Surnames: Armes
Does anyone know anything about the Armes family from Michigan? Some of them moved to Morgan County, Tennessee. I am just starting to research my family tree and would love any help I could get.

Thank you,
Samantha (Armes) Woods

Re: Armes family from Michigan

Posted: 5 Jun 2011 11:52PM GMT
I realize its been a long time. Hopefully you have found the information you wanted. However, if not; I would ask is the Armes family you are interested in native to Michigan or Tennessee. There is a large Armes family in Morgan Co. that has been here since the 1840's. Like all southern communities, we have immigrants to all over, but especially the north. I would be glad to help in any way I could.

Posted: 28 Jun 2011 11:19PM GMT
I am researching Potter and found that he was married to an Armes, Geneva from Morgan Co. in Tenn. in 1936. Trying to find out about her. I am from MI, Woodhaven area. He remarried in 1945 and I was wondering why he remarried so soon? Any info on Geneva Armes please let me know. Thank you.
Gloria A.

Posted: 16 Aug 2011 10:53PM GMT
Do you have ANY info on Geneva? I have a great aunt named Geneva Armes from Morgan Co. TN...born 11-8-1918.

Posted: 12 Sep 2011 11:06PM GMT
Geneva Armes
Geneva Armes, was the daughter of
Wiley Anderson Armes (8 Apr 1876 in Morgan Co., TN - 4 Feb 1940 in Petros, Morgan Co., TN)
and Julia B. Armes (17 May 1876in Morgan Co., Tn - 15 July 1970 in Rockwood, Roane Co., TN).
Wiley and Julia were married 4 Jan 1894 in Morgan Co., TN.

Geneva married and later divorced a Williams. She had 2 Children.

Geneva’s siblings were:

John Sherman Armes Male born 1 Feb. 1895 in TN
- died 25 Nov 1964 in Morgan Co., TN

Dallie (Dollie) Armes Female born 8 Dec 1896 in TN
- died 9 Jan 1993 married a Basler

Dora Armes Female born 8 Jun 1899 in Morgan Co., TN
- died 11 Feb 1989 married a Brewer or Brewster

James Frazier Arnes Male born 8 May 1902 in TN
- died 19 Jun 1902, buried in Old Petros Cem., Morgan Co., TN

Frank Armes born 7 Jun 1903 in Morgan Co., TN
- died 16 Aug 1904 in Morgan Co., TN, buried in Old Petros Cem. twin to Jane

Jane Armes female 17 Jun 1903 in Morgan Co., TN
- died 19 Aug 1904 in Morgan Co., TN, buried in Old Petros Cem. Twin to Frank

Anna Armes Female born about 1905 in TN
- died before Mar 2002 marrie a Justes

Anderson Wiley “Dock” Armes Male born 13 Aug 1907 in TN - died 2 Oct 1969 in Petros, Morgan Co., TN

Luther J. “Cabbage: Armes Male born 25 Sep 1911 in Mor Co, TN - died 19 Mar 2002 in Meth. Med. Center of Oak Ridge, Anderson Co., TN

Ruby Armes Female born about 1915 in TN
- died Aft. Mar 2002 marrie Harry Young

Mable Armes Female born 5 Sep 1916 in TN
- died after Mar 2002 married a Ward

Reema D. Armes Female born 31 Dec 1920 in TN
- died after Mar 2002 married Early “Spider” Marlow

Willie Rose Armes Female born about 1924 in TN
- died about Sep 1924 in TN

Morgan Co., TN TNGENWEB SITE, OBIT. ARCHIVE
ARMES, ANDERSON WILEY 'DOCK' of Petros, died Oct. 2, 1989. Survivors: wife, Oma Armes; daughter, Nola June and husband Harold Ritter, and grandson, Jimmy Dean Ritter; Six sisters and a brother- in-law, Dallie Basler, Ruby Young, Annie Pacheco, Mabel Ward, Rema Marlow, Geneva Milliron and Luther Armes. Burial in Wartburg Memorial Gardens. (Morgan County News)

ARMES, LUTHER (CABBAGE), 90, Petros, passed away Sunday, March 19, 2002 in the Mehtodist Medical Center in Oak Ridge. He was aretired coal miner and was of the Baptist faith. He was preceded in death by his daughter Loula Armes; parents Willey and Julie Asher Armes and wife Ester Ward; sisters Dallie Basler, Dora Brewster and Anna Justes; and brothers Sherman and Doc Armes. He is survived by ex-wife Callie Armes of Petros; sons and their wives Bobby and Shirley Armes of Ohio, B.J. and Beverly Armes of Crossville, Tommy Armes of Knoxville, Daryl and Laura Armes of Nebraska, Larry and Pat Armes of Nashville, Ronnie and Norma Armes of Petros, Carlos Armes of Petros and Eric and Leann Armes of Petros; daughters, Patricia and Herb Jackson of Elmont, Ala., and Jewel Armes of Petros; sisters Ruby Young of Wartburg, Mabel Ward of Deer Lodge, Geneva Williams of Knoxville and Rema Marlow of Petros and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren. The family received friends Tuesday, May 21, 2002 from 6 to 8 pm in Schubert Funeral Home, Wartburg. Funeral services began at 8 p.m. with Rev. Lonnie Lowe officiating. Graveside services were held Wednesday at 11 a.m. in the Old Petros Cemetery. [Morgan County News]

MARLOW, EARLY 'SPIDER', 77, of Lake City, died Sunday, May 24, 1998, at Fort Sanders-Loudon Medical Center. Mr. Marlow is survived by four daughters, Sandra Goad and Carole Goad, both of Chattanooga, Susan Kortoff of Lake Tahoe, Nev., and Doris Carroll of Petros; three sons, Donald Marlow of Scott County and James Marlow and Michael Marlow, both of California. Burial at Old Petros Cemetery. (The Oak Ridger)

I took much of this information from a gedcom posted a few years ago by a Mike Armes. Gemeology.com family #110
Most can be extracted from the census and cemetery records of Morgan Co., TN

Posted: 13 Sep 2011 5:38AM GMT
Morgan County newspaper clippings show a George M. Williams, 32, married Geneva Armes on 20 Sep 1939.
The oldest child I know of would have been about 1946.
It is possible that she married and then divorced a Potter earlier.

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 6:54PM GMT
Correction: Geneva was agge 20 ; not born on 20 Sep.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions