Search for content in message boards

Caledonia

Caledonia

Posted: 13 Nov 2003 1:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Sep 2004 5:45AM GMT
Surnames: Hume, Hoge
I am looking for information on my ancestors that come from Paisley Scotland in 1682 on the Caledonia. First, I've seen 2 different spellings. The other spelling is, Caladonia. Can anyone tell me which is correct? Also, I know that William Hoge was on the ship. Did he have a wife with him at the time. He later married Barbara Hume. She was a girl at the time and was on the ship with her parents, (Sir) James Hume b.1639 and his wife Marjorie. I have seen different surnames names for Marjorie (Johnson?) middle name Scott. Is there a birth date for Marjorie. Both Marjorie and James died on the ship. Is there more information as to what the problems were on ship and how they died. Any info would be very helpful.

Re: Caledonia

Posted: 4 Feb 2006 5:37PM GMT
Hi, I am also looking for information on the Caledonia. I have documents from my great great grandmother about William Hoge and his wife Barbara, but I can't find any more information on the ship. Did you ever find anything? I have contacted the Scottish Maritime Museum but I haven't heard back yet. I know this is a two year old question, but I've just started my search, and any information will be most helpful! Thanks!

Posted: 22 Apr 2008 5:56AM GMT
If you are still looking for information, I have some. Still trying to nail it all in place, but it might help.

Posted: 21 Jun 2013 12:07AM GMT
Surnames: Hoge. Hogue
My five greats grandparents were William and Barbara Hoge (Hogue). What kind of documents do you have and would you be willing to share the information?

Posted: 3 Sep 2014 8:46PM GMT
Surnames: Haines
I have just started researching the Caledonia hoping to find a passenger named Haines. Has your research found any such person?

Barbara

Posted: 3 Sep 2014 8:52PM GMT
I am so sorry, I did not see your post on this thread. There are some mentions of the Hoge/Houge in many old genealogical/historical books. I would have to back and look but am I remembering rightly that they died during passage and their daughter became the Ward of Dr. John Johnstone, or am I mixing this with another family?

Regards,

Tim

Posted: 3 Sep 2014 8:55PM GMT
Which Haines , there were several throughout New England. Are you looking in New Jersey specifically and if so what dates or time period are you looking?

Tim

Posted: 3 Sep 2014 9:13PM GMT
I am searching in New Jersey. My starting point is Samuel Haines whose will was probated on 17 Mar 1796. His residence was in Barnerdstown, Somerset County, NJ and his wife was Phebe Ogden. I have found the graves of Henry Hains, d. 1736, and his wife, Anne, d. 1742,, in the Basking Ridge Presbyterian Church graveyard and wonder if they, perhaps, are his ancestors. The family was Presbyterian and probably were among the hundreds of Scottish families who immigrated to America in the late 1600's but I have been unable to find the name Haines, Hains, Haynes or any similar spellings on any ship's list. Do you have this name in your records?

Barbara

Posted: 3 Sep 2014 9:18PM GMT
I will check my sources. I was at Basking Ridge Pres myself a while back. Quite the Oak Tree in front. My ancestors went to Lamington Pres,

I'll check the info I have and get back to you with an answer.

Ping me again if I don't reply in a week or so.

Regards,

Tim Taylor

Posted: 6 Sep 2014 2:44PM GMT
The most immediate find is that of Charles Haines/Haynes who sells property in Middletown, Monmouth, NJ to my Ancestor, Edward Taylor, in 1677. Haines had been patented this land in 1676. He is still alive at the turn of the century and he is noted as being of Delaware when he re-certifies his sale of the land as well as transactions to others and gives Edward Taylor and another individual power to confirm one of these transactions.

As to the Caledonia, this vessel made several trips from Europe/Scotland to the Americas carrying settlers during the later half of the 1600's. In about 1697/8 it was purchased by the Company of Scotland and used in the ill fated Darien Expedition. It was one of two vessels that brought the survivors back to New York. The second vessel, Unicorn, was run ashore and abandoned after everything was stripped off and used to refit the Caledonia. From New York they sailed back to Scotland arriving about the middle of December, The holed up at the Bay of Islay until weather allowed them to sail up the Firth of Clyde to Greenock. The Caledonia wasted for the next 15 years becoming a hulk sunk on the shore until abut 1711/12 when she was raised and refitted with many of her original fixtures. Court action kept her harbor bound until 1715 when many family legends tell the tale of her again being raised and made ready to sail during the course of several nights, and families of those being persecuted (most likely) by the Jacobites sailed from Glasgow/Greenock in the middle of a dense fog. She was allowed to leave because she was expected to sink " 'ere out of sight of shore". The many legends recount that she almost sank several times, but the men pumped the bilges constantly and by the Grace of God made it to Perth Amboy near the end of July 1715. We can pin the exact date by the storm track of an early hurricane that destroyed a great many ships as it moved north up the Atlantic Seaboard. It is noted that the Caledonia was driven on the shoals of the harbor at Perth Amboy shortly after the last passenger was safely shore. We have assigned July 31 to Aug 5th as the most likely time period of this event based on recorded events. Other sources were the records of the Company of Scotland trading in Africa and the West Indies, and records of the British Admiralty as well as local legends recorded in various New Jersey family histories and area "history of ..." books from the late 1800's. Several family names are mentioned, I am still going through records looking to see if Haynes was one of them. It had been long believed that the Caledonia was the sister ship of the Henry of Francis in 1685 that brought the prisoners of Dunnottar Castle to New Jersey. That has been corrected, the "America of Stockton" has been identified as the second vessel.

In the late 1600's early 1700's and 1710's there were the Haines brothers trading out of Barbados, it is a passing mention in the Historical Miscellany of New Jersey. On other pages these brothers are better identified. John Haines/Haynes of New York m. in 1687 Elizabeth Bowne in the Dutch Church at NY. He died in 1690 so Elizabeth must have been a second or third wife since his will names a son John in Barbadoes leaving him property in that place, son Andrew Haines w/no mention of location so most likely NY, Robert Haynes brother of the deceased, of the Island of Barbadoes. John Haines is noted at the time of his death as being a Merchant of NY

I do not find a Haines in the 1783 roster of the Basking Ridge Masonic Lodge, nor do I find a mention of one in the Lamington Presbyterian Records.

I will keep an eye open for the name in future research. I am sorry I could not be of more assistance
per page

Find a board about a specific topic