Search for content in message boards

1913 epidemic?

1913 epidemic?

Posted: 26 Sep 2010 12:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rabon, Rogers
M. A. Rabon & S. W. Rabon had five deaths in their immediate family in July 1913. They are all buried at Pleasant Union Baptist Church cemetery in Horry County, SC. Can anyone tell me where to find records of an epidemic in the area at that time and/or what might have caused these deaths?

Re: 1913 epidemic?

Posted: 2 Oct 2010 8:25PM GMT
Possible resources for you:

The Horry County Oral History Project supposedly has files online at: http://www.coastal.edu/library/hcohp.html

but I couldn't get the transcripts to come up....? You could email the site for help.

There's a book "Obituaries from Horry County newspapers, 1861-1914" that may list the Rabons. (21 libraries in the US have this book.)

Also, there are hundreds of other history books on Horry County. Try worldcat.org.

If a library near you does not have a book you want, they usually can get it through InterLibrary Loan from another library. Just ask your librarian.

You could also try contacting the cemetery to see if they have burial records that include cause of death.

Note: Even if you found that a disease was spreading in the area, that would not prove it caused these deaths. Their house could have burned down, for example.

Posted: 2 Oct 2010 8:59PM GMT
Don't know whether this helps, but M. A. is probably Matthew A. and S. W. is probably Sallie W. (according to 1910 US Census.) They were living in Bayboro at the time.

Posted: 6 Oct 2010 2:58PM GMT
Surnames: Rabon
Thanks, chatterchit, for the replies to my inquiry about M. A. and S. W. Rabon and a possible epidemic in 1913.

You are correct in your assumption that these people are also known as Matthew A. and Sallie W. Rabon. They would have been my great-great grandparents. One of their daughters, Tula, was my great-grandmother. One of Tula's daughters, Sallie, was my grandmother. Sallie's son, Joe, is my father.

The reason I suspected an epidemic/pandemic/etc. in the case of M. A. and S. W. Rabon's family is because that is the indication given to me by my father, though I've been unable to find record of something wide-spread in Horry County at that time.

I do know that S. W. and four of the children died in the month of July 1913, but M. A. and two of the girls did not. One of the girls eventually moved to the Charleston area and is now deceased. The other girl was my great-grandmother (Tula), who remained in Horry County until her death in the 1970s (before I was born).

Tula had three children (Abram, Sallie, and Tempie). Sallie was my grandmother, but she died when my father was only 10 or 11 years old. All of Tula's children are now deceased - the most recent being my great-aunt, Tempie, who passed in October of 2007 from end-stage Alzheimer's.

I'm in the process of compiling a list of Tula Rabon's descendents, and am learning to be more grateful everyday that my family even exists, as she could easily have died in 1913 like most of the others. The list is almost complete, and I'm really hoping to get it published. Wish me luck!

Posted: 6 Oct 2010 3:33PM GMT
Thanks again for your replies.

Horry County Oral History Project - I have viewed an online index of individuals who were intervied, but haven't yet viewed a list of topics. I think there is an index available at the college, so I'll check into that again later.

Obituaries from Horry County Newspapers, 1861-1914 - There are some Rabons listed, but none for M. A. and S. W.'s immediate family.

worldcat.org - Thanks for introducing me to this site. I've checked it out and found it to be very informative.

I frequent the local libraries regularly and have inquired before about interlibrary loans. They are generally pretty good about that.

I've not yet contacted the church for the cemetery where the family was buried, but I plan to do that in the near future.

Thanks again for your help. Good luck in your own searches. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Posted: 7 Oct 2010 11:53AM GMT
I am not certain of the dates but an earlier Horry County Historical Society news letter has an article on a Flu out break about that time.

john

Posted: 7 Oct 2010 7:54PM GMT
Surnames: Rabon, Martin, Tyler
1918 is the year of the worldwide Spanish flu epidimic; hundreds of millions died from it.
Almost anything could be the cause of these particular but simultaneous deaths; however the proximity of the deaths points to a singular, family-focussed event.
I am related to the Rabon Family by the marriage of my great-great grandmother..

Posted: 11 Oct 2010 11:25PM GMT
Thanks, finnlewis and hamartin 150,for your replies regarding the flu epidemic in the early 1900s. I have found documentation of this as well, but have not found anything recorded for 1913 for any type of wide-spread disease. I have recently learned that one of the two surving children is remembered as having had yellow fever at some point, though this doesn't seem to be the case for her sister. I'm still at a loss. Any additional leads would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 12 Oct 2010 6:12AM GMT
Here is an interesting article that talks about some of the diseases that Southerners faced in the early part of the 20th century. If I find anything more specific I will pass it on. The Southern Medical Journal would probably have information on any significant outbreaks.

Martin, Mike G., and Margaret E. Humphreys. "Social Consequence of Disease in the American South, 1900 - World War Ii." Southern Medical Journal 99, no. 8 (2006): 862-64 10.1097/01.smj.0000231265.03256.1f. url: http://journals.lww.com/smajournalonline/Fulltext/2006/08000...

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 2:29AM GMT
Surnames: Rogers, Rabon, Bryant, Lane
According to great great grand father bible. Sallie Walker Rogers Rabon died of the blue bon plague in 1913 with her 4 children. I cannot make out the other sister that survive. Great Great Aunt Sallie Walker had Sister Chloe Fefi, who married Eli Bryant, Talithea Addie married Johnson Cox, Kittie Mae who married Steven R. Moody, C.Mary who married a Campbell, Martha Elizabeth who married Owens move to NC, two brothers Nathan Wm and David Oscar who married Elizabeth Lane from Galiant Ferry.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic