Search for content in message boards

RICHARD ODLUM OF OFFALY

RICHARD ODLUM OF OFFALY

Tanya White (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2006 11:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Aug 2006 8:43AM GMT
Surnames: ODLUM, BERGIN
This is an update on Richard Odlum who married Catherine Bergin.

Richard Odlum was born between 1810-1820 according to the 1840 New York State Census. I made a mistake in my earlier e-mail in July.

I am trying to find his baptism in Offaly. He was CATHOLIC. I am also trying to find his parents. Richard Odlum emigrated to the U.S. in the 1830s. He may have gone to Canada first and then the U.S.

His children were: Charlotte, David, James, Robert Emmet,
and George W., all born in the St. Lawrence area in New York during the 1840s and early 1850s. Charlotte was born in 1840. This was the first living child of this couple.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Tanya

Re: RICHARD ODLUM OF OFFALY

PatrickC (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 2006 1:27AM GMT
No centralised RC registers in Offaly.

No census records for the 1800s. No vital records before 1864.

You need place of birth in County Offaly to find specific church which might have a possible baptism.

Without the specific birthplace, you can have Midlands Ancestry research it for you fee-based. Here's the link:
http://www.irishmidlandsancestry.com/

Otherwise you need to research more in the US to find specific birthplace in Offaly.

Re: RICHARD ODLUM OF OFFALY

Tanya White (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 2006 1:52PM GMT
Surnames: ODLUM
Thank you Patrick for telling me this information. It is very helpful. There should be a centralized list of RC baptisms!!

The LDS has very few Odlum baptisms listed in Offaly.
I am not sure if it was because the records were destroyed or that somebody has not listed them as yet.

My Odlums were Catholic and most of the Odlums were Protestant.

COULD SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT RECORDS, EXACTLY, WERE DESTROYED IN THE 1922 DUBLIN CONFLAGRATION. I HAVE BEEN GETTING ALL SORTS OF THEORIES ON THIS. I AM SO CONFUSED.

Many thanks, Patrick.

Tanya
per page

Find a board about a specific topic