Search for content in message boards

Was Boston a Port of Entry for Irish 1850-1900?

Was Boston a Port of Entry for Irish 1850-1900?

Posted: 17 Mar 2001 1:39PM GMT
Edited: 30 Dec 2001 10:03PM GMT
Am having problems, this information may solve some of the headache. Could anyone point me in the right direction... is immigration from Ireland through Boston available online? Through CD purchase (and where)? Or anything else you could tell me.
Thanks GREATLY in advance of ANYTHING! :)

Boston Immigration

Posted: 27 Mar 2001 10:44AM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2002 1:25PM GMT
There are several good sites online for Ireland to Boston immigration. Rootsweb.com has a number of passenger list links, the best of which is the Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild. However even the best sites only cover a small fraction of ships arriving at the major ports and you may search many and still not find your ancestors. CD's are of more help, but they are pricey. For starters visit Familytreemaker.com which provides an online catalogue of passenger lists it has compiled on CDs. Other companies that produce genealogy software also have CD offerings. Finally, have you considered a visit to one of the regional offices of the National Archives to veiw microfilms of lists? If you live in greater Boston the Archives are located in Waltham. If not, visit the Archives on line (Nara.gov) to find what information is stored at a more convenient regional office. Good luck.

Boston Immigration

Posted: 27 Mar 2001 4:46PM GMT
Thanks Bill for the reply. The info about Waltham is really helpful.

Irish Immigrants to Boston

Posted: 10 Apr 2001 6:43AM GMT
Edited: 5 Jun 2002 12:01PM GMT
Hi,
I have some of the Family Tree Maker CD's, including one that has Boston arrivals. It only gives basic information, but it helps as a starting point. The CD's are useless to me right now, since almost all of my ancestors either came through Canada or were Canadian. But if you want me to look at them for you, I'd be happy to.
Cheers,
Gwen
(gwnhwyfer@aol.com)

Irish Immigrants to Boston

Posted: 10 Apr 2001 12:57PM GMT
I would really appreciate your taking a look .. Have been so horribly unsuccessful in gathering information. Have followed through on anything and anyone even remotely similar without success... My g-grand Michael McLaughlin came over (can't even find out year, with his mother Anne or Anna.. initially settled in Brookfield Mass. and we're not totally sure that was their original location when immigrating but he married my g-grandmum who was born and raised there and my gran and her sisters were also born in Brookfield...) at least that seems to be the best we can figure out... He never applied for citizenship... so we're at the end of a papertrail... death certificate has no useful info. ANY HELP WOULD BE MOST HUMBLY APPRECIATED and I would be in your debt forever.. and maybe longer.. :)

McLaughlin: Boston arrivals.

Posted: 10 Apr 2001 2:04PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jun 2002 12:01PM GMT
Hi Alona,
The CD only covers entries in Boston from 1821 to 1850, but I found two families that might match yours.

1. Located on National Archives microfilm series number M277, roll 28.
Date of Arrival: April 7, 1849
Port of Arrival: Boston
a. Name: Ann McLaughlin
Country of Origin: Ireland
b. Name: John McLaughlin
c. Name: Malachi McLaughlin
d. Name: Margaret McLaughlin
e. Michael McLaughlin

2. Located on National Archive microfilm series number M277, roll 19.
Date of Arrival: July 1, 1845
Port of Arrival: Boston
a. Name: Ann McLaughlin
b. Name: Michael McLaughlin
c. Name: Thomas McLauglin

There were also 10 more Ann's listed and 9 more Michael's, though none were together. If you want the information for them, please let me know and I'd be happy to email it to you.

I hope either of these are what you are looking for.

Cheers,
Gwen
(gwnhwyfer@aol.com)

Boston Irish Immigration

Posted: 11 Apr 2001 4:04PM GMT
Hi Ann... the second sounds like a great possiblilty... the age of Michael (age 1) is about right.... but, if you don't mind.. I'll get back to you very soon... :)
I am in your debt... :)
Alona

Re: McLaughlin: Boston arrivals.

Nancy Patton (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2001 11:22PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Could you look up a James patton who came into Boston around1849-50. i was told that is where he came into. Thanks Nancy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions