Search for content in message boards

Bernard Allan Noel ERSKINE, New Zealand to London 1946-1952

Bernard Allan Noel ERSKINE, New Zealand to London 1946-1952

Posted: 15 Mar 2012 1:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Mar 2012 1:48PM GMT
Surnames: Erskine, McLeod
I am hoping somebody could assist me in finding out some information regarding my Paternal Grandfather who died in 1974.

He left New Zealand between 1946 and 1952 and arrived in the UK.
He married my Grandmother in Kensington , London in Sep 1952 and never returned to New Zealand i believe before his death in 1974 in the UK.
I have been trying to find some travel documents or migration documents for him to assertain a date he left New Zealand to the UK and the reasons why.
Rumour in the family is he was a laundid person due to something that happened in New Zealand.Wether this is true or not i don't know.

Name - Bernard Allan Noel Erskine
Date of Birth - 12 December 1924
Place - Wadestown, Wellington N.Z
Father - Allan Erskine
Mother - Daisy McLeod
Military Number for Light Infantary - 157391
Last known address - 1946 - 215 Kyber Pass Road , Parnell , Aukland.

Re: Bernard Allan Noel ERSKINE, New Zealand to London 1946-1952

Posted: 16 Mar 2012 4:05PM GMT
Have you tried searching London Electoral Register - There is a Bernard A Erskine in Stepney in 1948

Posted: 17 Mar 2012 12:14AM GMT
Hello Kobie,

Thanks for that link, I have looked and i researched and it looks like it is him. Well that will cut off 4 years of me trying to find immigration docs / passenger lists etc.

Thanks once again.

Gary

Posted: 18 Mar 2012 5:51PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: ERSKINE
N Z WW11 NOMINAL ROLLS

Name: Bernard Allan Noel Erskine
PRIVATE
INF REINFS
WELLINGTON
RADIO ASST
Embarkation: 1944
Army Number: 457391
Last Residence: 2[50], RINT[OUL] ST., Wellington, N.Z
Relative Name: Mr A Erskine 1[9]9, TASMAN STREET, WELLINTON
Relationship: Father
Nominal Roll: 1 Apr 1944 - 31 Dec 1944

2nd New Zealand Expeditionary Force (NZEF). Formed on September 3, 1939, the NZEF was New Zealand’s contribution to the war forces of Britain, France, and Australia against Germany. Enlistment began on September 12, 1939, and the first echelon embarked for Egypt in January 1940, arriving the following month.

In May 1940 the second echelon embarked, but was diverted to Britain and did not reach Egypt until March 1941. The third, embarking in August 1940, arrived in Egypt in September and was deployed to northern Greece in March 1941. Additional embarkations from New Zealand continued throughout the war until 1948, and the bulk of the NZEF fought alongside the British Army in Egypt, the Middle East, Greece, Italy, as well as in other battles in the Mediterranean region. Other units were sent to support the war efforts against Japan in the Pacific

Name: Bernard Noel A Erskine
Birth Date: 23 Dec 1923
Date of registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1974
Age at Death: 50
Registration district: Barton
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 10b
Page: 789

Name: Bernard A N Erskine
Spouse Surname: Dowdy
Date of registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1970
Registration district: Barton
Inferred County: Greater Manchester, Lancashire
Volume Number: 10b
Page Number: 864

Spouse Surname: Gillender
Date of registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1952
Registration district: Kensington
Inferred County: Middlesex
Volume Number: 5c
Page Number: 2672

VOTERS
Name: Bernard Allan Noel Erskine
Electoral Year: 1946
District: Parnell
Region or Province: Auckland

Electoral Year: 1954
Parliamentary Division: Kensington
County or Borough: Kensington and Chelsea

Name: Bernard A Erskine
Electoral Year: 1949
Parliamentary Division: Stepney
County or Borough: Tower Hamlets

Name: Bernard A Erskine
Electoral Year: 1950
Parliamentary Division: Stepney
County or Borough: Tower Hamlets

Posted: 18 Mar 2012 10:00PM GMT
Thankyou very much for the information you have soursed and supplied for me. It is very much appreciated.
At least now I will be able to find out more regarding his role in the army as your number is different to the one I had. Also, the story regarding embarkasions was nice to read so I can understand why NZEF were within Europe and possible locations of where my Grandfather was during the war.

Big thankyou once again.

Posted: 18 Mar 2012 10:11PM GMT
You are most welcome - hope it helps

Many, many passenger lists have not yet been transcribed especially more recent ones, you may have better luck on the NZ board asking for "leaving" details rather than incoming to UK

Good luck & happy hunting

Ell

Posted: 11 Dec 2012 1:18AM GMT
Hello Gary
I am the grand daughter of Allan and Daisy Erskine. My mother was Dorothy your grandfathers sister for many years she had searched for her brother after he left New Zealand.I believe to the best of my knowledge he decided to travel to London and that is where he met your grandmother married and decided to live in England. When my grandmother died being Daisy my mum was only 16 years old so Bernard would have been around 12 years old. Granddad Allan married again after the war and it is my understanding none of the children got along with their step mother. I would love to know more of his time in England.
Jenny

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 1:06AM GMT
Hello Jenny,

I'm sorry that I haven't replied prior to now, for some reason I missed your message.
What wonderful news that I am now in contact with a true decendent of my grandfather who I never met.

I will contact you with some more information within the next few days.

Kindest Regards

Gary

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 6:38AM GMT
Gary

I noticed that you have Evelyn Erskine, born 1904 at 26 Austin Street Wellington on your tree. I believe she was illegitimate and her mother was Mary Jane Erskine and that her father was William Benjamin Drury, a cabman, who lived at this address at that time. I an a descendant of William Benjamin Drury's sister, and know the Drury family story. If this make any sense to you, and seems to be the person on your tree (which I have not yet been able to look at - I am only signed in as a Guest), please get in touch.

Ken Matthews
Wellington, NZ
kglm@xtra.co.nz
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions