Search for content in message boards

Craig,WILLIAM, ROBERT,WILLIAM DANIEL, James From SCOTLAND-IRELAND-AMERICA -KENTUCKY-NEW JERSEY

CRAIG, William, Robert, William, Daniel,James from Scotland-Ireland-America-KY-NJ

Margaret Craig Hullinger (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CRAIG, Nickell, Hullinger
If you will go to www.genealogy.com and type in William
Daniel Craig it will take you to a site with information on these families. Also the descendents of Papa John Nickell are found there. Good luck. Margaret

Craig,WILLIAM, ROBERT,WILLIAM DANIEL, James From SCOTLAND-IRELAND-AMERICA -KENTUCKY-NEW JERSEY

Posted: 21 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2001 3:47PM GMT
Surnames: CRAIG, McGUIRE, NICKELL, NEWTON, COFFEE, CISCO, PRITCHETT, JONES
Hi everyone:

I am looking for connections to the Craig family that is linked to the names above. The Craig families were intermarried to all of the names listed. I have William Craig In Scotland in 1685 Edinburgh. He moved to Ireland and then to America. His children Robert Thomas Craig b. 1713
James Craig b. 1715
John Sr. Craig b. 1718
A lot of the names listed above came to be because my grandmother was born to a Joel McGuire and Lucretia Nickell. Their families have connections to all of those above. If you can find a connection would you please contact me. I share my information and what every you have would be appreciated to add to my family tree.

God Bless
Steve

William Craig

Posted: 25 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 11:09PM GMT
Surnames: Craig
I am related to William Craig b. 1685 Edinburgh,Scotland.
James Craig b. Dec.1715 Antrim, Ulster co.,Ireland d. Feb.7,1790Va. m. 1742 to Mary Laird
I have your information with the Nickells family and alot more. I have been researching the Craig family for about 18 years and am always trying to add to what i have. Would been willing to share with you.
Tonya Craig Powell

Robert Craig b 1777 New Jersey

Posted: 22 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 8:19PM GMT
Surnames: CRAIG, HODGSON, ADAMS, STRONG
Looking for more information on ancestors, Robert Craig b 1777 d 1860, married 1803 to Elizabeth Hodgson (daughter of Nathaniel Hodgson and Margaret Allen).Their eight children: Gertrude Elevitta Fulkerson Craig, b 1804, David Nevius Craig, b 1805, Brachia Stout Craig, b 1807, Margaret Maria Craig, b 1810, Nathaniel Hodgson Craig, b 1812, Stephen Hunt Craig, b 1814 in New Jersey, d 1903 in Trumansburg, NY, Lydia Jane Craig, b 1818, and John S. Craig, b 1820. (It is possible that John Craig lived in Basking Ridge, NJ)

Stephen Hunt Craig (my great grandfather) married 3 times, Marietta Alderman 1852 in Covert, NY, Charlotte L. Adams 1865 in Covert, NY, and Sophia Ganoung 1882. With my great grandmother Charlotte he had five children: Estella, Lizzie, Ivanella, Edla and Myra b 1876(my grandmother). With Sophia Ganoung he had Mary Gussie Craig b 1885 and Stephen Craig b 1888 d 1973 (some of his decendants now live in NC).

We appreciate your assistance.

Capt. Robert Craig

Posted: 20 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 8:19PM GMT
Surnames: CRAIG
During a visit to the Finger Lakes, NY we learned that our Robert Craig b 12 Jul 1777, d 4 Jun 1860, was born in Lemington, Somerset Co., NJ and died in Basking Ridge, NJ.
He was Capt. Rober Craig, War of 1812.
Does this ring any bells with anyone? From notes written by a cousin in 1931, she stated that she though he descended from Moses Craig who came from Ireland to NJ c 1736, Lemington Church, North Branch, NJ. Apparently this was never confirmed.

Robert Craig

Calvin Thayer Craig (View posts)
Posted: 16 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Craig
Does your Robert Craig ( Capt. in war 1812)come from a James Craig, of Liverpool England. Our James Craig was, we believed married a second time to Margaret Houghton in 1801 in Liverpool Cathedral. We believe he had a son, Robert born before this second marriage. Possibly Robert had a brother John, also in war of 1812.

Re: Robert Craig b 1777 New Jersey

Posted: 30 Mar 2006 12:07AM GMT
Robert's parents were: Aaron Craig (5 Sep 1748 Somerset Co, NJ-31 Aug 1785 Somerset Co, NJ) married Margaret Fisher (1743 Somerville, Somerset Co, NJ-Aft. Aug 1785 Somerset Co, NJ).
Aaron's parents were: Moses Craig (1702 Northern Ireland-31 Jul 1777 Somerset Co, NJ) & Hannah ? (1706-3 Sep 1776 Somerset Co, NJ).
Margaret's parents were: Hendrick Fisher, Jr. (1697 Palatinate, Germany-16 Aug 1779 Somerset Co, NJ) & Elizabeth Bries (b. 19 Oct 1703 NJ), daughter of Volkert Hendrickse Bries & Elizabeth Poulis).

Hendrick Fisher, Jr. emigrated with his father from the Palatinate, Germany to Holland to New Jersey about 1703. The original surname was Visser or Visscher.

On 11 Aug 1721 Hendrick became a member of the Reformed (Dutch) Church at New Brunswick. He was ordained a deacon and also of its co-church at Six-Mile Run in 1722, then again in 1725. In 1727 he was ordained an elder and remained an elder at New Brunsick for nearly 50 years. He was serving as elder in New Brunswick and Six-Mile Run in 1772. He served as evangelist and lay preacher. He espoused progressive but strict religious views. Rev. Theodorus Jacobus Frelinhuysen called his as helper in lay preaching in 1736. He translated from Dutch to English and published five of Rev. Frelinghuysen's sermons. He was a leading delegate on Reformed Committees and became the most prominent, most active and most responsible of all the elders in the Somerset County Dutch churches.

In 1755 the Dutch church proposed founding a college in the New York City area. In 1766 and again in 1770 Gov. Franklin of NJ granted them a charter. Hendrick Fisher was elected President of the Board of Trustees. The site for Queen's (now Rutgers) College was established in New Brunswick because of the large amount of subscriptions raised in the New Brunswick area by Hendrick Fisher and Rev. Jacob R. Hardenbergh, who became the first President of the college.

In 1740 Hendrick was elected to the New Jersey Assembly but could not serve as he had become naturalized in 1739. He was aagain elected in 1745 and held that seat for thirty years. "No man was so frequently honored, no man so often entrusted with important duties, nor so often the chairman of important Committees." In 1759 he was appointed Justice of the Peace in Somerset County; Judge of Common Pleas 1759; Judge of Oyer and Terminer 1759, 1767-1770.

Roger Freestone (View posts)
Posted: 4 Apr 2006 12:34AM GMT
Thank you for your posting. As to Hendrick Fisher, I have similar, but a few different facts, that I received from a cousin six years ago. You might be interesed in the data:

4/1/2000

"FISHER"

"Hendrick FISHER, the father of Margaret was born in 1697 in the lower Palitinate. He came to America in 1703 with his father's family. He was a mechanic by trade. He was Elder in the Duktch Reformed Church of New Brunswick for eight terms. He was appointed Cathechist and Lay Preacher to Rev. Frelinghuysen. To reach more Christians with his message Rev. Frelinghuysen desired to have his sermons translated into English. This Hendrick Fisher did. He was President of the Church Board of Trustees byi 1753.

"In 1770 he is listed as president of the Board of Trukstees on the new charter for Queens College of which he was a major instrument in its receiving a Charter. Queens college was in New Brunswick and was established as an outgrowth of work byi ministers in the Dutch Church to found a college of learning in the vicinity of New York. After the war the College name was changed to Rutgers. Hendrick Fisher was also responsible in 1764 for the legislation which created Princeton. He was also one of those appointed to sell lottery tickets to raise L3,000 for that college.

"He was elected a member of the Colonial Assembly in New Jersey in 1745 and was reelected continuously until 1775. In 1916, he still held the record for most consecutive years served. He was first elected in 1740 but was declared ineligible as he had only been naturalized the year before.While in the assembly he was chairman of many committees. He was one of the three men New Jersey sent to represent her in the congress called to meet in New York in Oct 1765. From 1769 to 1772 he was New Jersey Chairman to settle a century long boundary dispute with New York. The boundary was fixed. In January 1775 he was appointed on a Committee of Grievances of which he was elected chairman. The committee sent His Majesty, King George, a petition asking for a redress of "grievances under which the colonies are now laboring." In May 1775 he was a delegate to the Provincial Congress of New Jersey which met in Trenton. He was elected its chairman. He served as chairman of the Committee of Safety which had charge of legislative and executive affairs dukring the recess of Congress. In feb. 1776 L50,000 in currency was to be printed. Hendrick was one of four whose signataure was to be on the bills.

"In 1759 he was appointed Judge of the Court of Common Pleas and Oyer and Terminer of Somerset County where he served for many years. Unfortunatelyi records of this court were burned in 1779. He was very unpopular with the British. When British General Lord Howe offered pardons to all the citizens of New Jersey who would forsake their allegiance to the American cause, he made an exception of Hendrick FISHER along with his neighbor Abraham STAATS and Tobias VAN NORDEN also of Bound Brook. In December 1776 a foraging party from the British army drove off many of his cattle. On April 13, 1777 after the first battle of Bound Brook, the victorious British army marching back to New Brunswick stopped at his house and took all the moneyt hey could find and the rest of his cattle. They did not find him. He died at the home Aug 16 1779 and is buried in a family graveyard on his farm. His stone was of red sandstone and weathered away in the early 1900's. He married about 1725. His wife was Elizabeth (Libshe) BRIES, the daughter of Volckert Hendrick BRIES. Elizabeth was baptized 19 Oct 1703 at the Raritan Dutch Reformed Church in Somerville, NJ. She died after 1787.

"His will bequeaths his property including the household servants to his wife, children, and grandchildren. They had 12 children. A complete list of them is in Volume 8 of the "Somerset Quarterlyi".

"His father Hendrick FISHER came from the Rhine region of Germany and settled in Piscataway Township on the Raritan River approximatelyi 6 miles above Brunswick about 1703. Stories that he purchased a house and considerable land from William DOCKWRA in that year on the South bank of the Raritan River near Bound Brook are in error. He died at his sons home 17 Oct 1749. He was well over 70 so would have been born around 1670-1675. The name was often spelled Visscher. the name of his wife and other children if any are not known."

Re: Capt. Robert Craig

Posted: 16 Mar 2007 5:40AM GMT
Robert Craig (1777-1860), SOMERSET NJ is my ggg-grandfather.

Robert is the son of Aaron Craig (1748 - 1785), a surgeon in the Rev. War

Aaron was the son of Moses Craig (~1702-1777) who immigrated from Northern Ireland in 1730.

For more Craig family stuff relating to your Robert Craig see: http://www.gencircles.com/users/rjcraig

Craig Horlacher - Denver

Posted: 16 Mar 2007 6:12AM GMT
Hello

Robert Craig b 1777 d 1860, Basking Ridge NJ is my ggg-grandfather. He was a vet of the War of 1812.

Robert's youngest son: John King Craig (1820-1910) is my gg-grandfather. (Have picture of John)

John's youngest son, Waters Burrows Craig (1866-1954)is my g grandfather. W.B.'s daughter Emily Goble Craig Mase (1897-1985) is my grandmother.

Robert, John and Waters are burried in Basking Ridge NJ.

If interested contact me (cfhgeo@attglobal.net)

Craig
per page

Find a board about a specific topic