Search for content in message boards

21 Endsleigh Street,St.Pancras,London.

21 Endsleigh Street,St.Pancras,London.

Posted: 31 Mar 2012 6:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have an ancestor who was born at this address in the early 1920's and the birth was registered by one E.Batten,Lady Superintendant. Does anyone have any information regarding this address as I keep coming across it during my research?I'm getting the impression it was some form of hospital,possibly for unmarried mothers and would love to find more information.

Re: 21 Endsleigh Street,St.Pancras,London.

Posted: 31 Mar 2012 6:35PM GMT
On the 1911 census it is listed as 21/22 Endsleigh St and is stated as a home for prisoners wives! There are only staff listed though,Superintendant,Matron,Creche nurse,housemaid etc.

By 1920s it could have changed its use,maybe the electoral rolls would help.

Posted: 1 Apr 2012 5:31AM GMT
Oh dear!It is a possibility as the father's occupation is listed as Union Official and in 1923 the General Strike would have been looming so it wouldn't have been difficult for him to have been locked up!Is there a way to investigate an address in the Census rather than a name?I have a name and address for the father but can't seem to locate either.What's more intriguing is that the fathers name,address and occupation were removed from the birth certificate some three years later,I didn't think you could do that.

Posted: 1 Apr 2012 8:40AM GMT
Edited: 1 Apr 2012 8:42AM GMT
If you have the name and address for the year of the census and cannot find the person they may have been missed from the census,the name may have been mistranscribed,if its the 1911 census the head of the household would have filled it in, anyone that was away from the address on that date would not have been on their form,but should have been on the census form wherever they were staying!Its not that unusual for people to have benn missed.
If you don't want to post the persons details here you can send me a private message and I will take a look at the census for you.

Also I think that not all of the 1911 census is fully transcribed yet.

If its not a census year you were looking for try electoral rolls.

Not sure about the birth cert being changed,is it possible that mother remarried and her new husband adopted the child?

Posted: 1 Apr 2012 9:20AM GMT
The birth certificate details her married name and maiden name,it's my mothers aunt.My mother is still with us at the young age of 80!She distinctly remembers that Ann,the mother,was not married.She did marry some years later,1933,but to someone else.There was never any mention of the sons father so he didn't play any part in his life but my mother does remember that the son,Edward,went to boarding school and was always very well dressed and turned out.Not what you would expect from a single mum in the East End during the 1920's which leads me to believe that the father at least faced up to his financial responsibilities or perhaps he died leaving some kind of inheritance,an endowment of some kind perhaps for his education?The father is listed as living in 5 St.Jude Street,Bethnal Green which is no longer there.I have also found an Australian enquiring about his grandmother who was a superintendant at the Duchess of Marlborough's Home for Prisoners Wives and Children located at 21-22 Endsleigh Street in 1914 so I'm getting nearer!I have to say a big thanks for your help.I'm also in touch with Anns great great granddaughter,a cousin I didn't even know I had,so the whole business is getting very intriguing!

Posted: 1 Apr 2012 9:20AM GMT
The only way that the father's details could have been removed from the certificate would have been if the mother (if it was she who originally registered the birth) had provided the registrar with a statutory declaration that the original details were incorrect. In other words, she would have had to admit that the child was not her husband's. Were the couple still married (and the husband alive) at the time of the birth?

Posted: 1 Apr 2012 9:24AM GMT
Our posts crossed!

So it appears that this was an illegitimate birth and that the mother originally attempted to feign marriage to the putative father. In that case, it is likely that it was the father (or his family) who obliged her to make the statutory declaration and have the birth registration changed.

Posted: 1 Apr 2012 9:32AM GMT
Hi there,there is a Statutory Declaration mentioned on the birth certificate presented by the mother and one Georgina Martha Siver who I know is a family friend of the mother.They certainly weren't married but if his family wanted it changed I'd have thought one of them would have got involved to make sure the record was changed.Curiouser and curiouser!

Posted: 1 Apr 2012 9:36AM GMT
I think it is, indeed, likely that the father's would have been involved, but this would not necessarily have been referred to in the official paperwork. Perhaps they threatened to withhold the financial assistance which it sounds like she was receiving unless she corrected the record.

Posted: 1 Apr 2012 1:11PM GMT
It's turning into quite a mystery.The father is listed as a Union Organiser on the birth certificate.Would he have had the funds to provide financially for the child,was he imprisoned for some kind of illegal union activity,was he already married?The birth certificate has certainly asked more questions than it has answered.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions