Search for content in message boards

Thomas Bell/Mary Stewart of Chester Co, SC

Thomas Bell/Mary Stewart of Chester Co, SC

Posted: 7 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Feb 2002 4:43PM GMT
Surnames: Bell, Stewart
I have finally traced my ancestors to Chester Co, SC. Thomas Bell b. ca. 1801 m. Mary Stewart (b. ca. 1796) and I believe the marriage took place in Chester Co, SC. Does anyone have access to lookup in marriage records of this county? I would be so appreciative if someone could find record of this marriage for me. I know that Thomas Bell came into Charleston Harbor in 1817, his arrival date according to Naturalization that took place in Chester Co, SC. I believe that Mary Stewart was the daughter of Archibald Stewart--does anyone know if he was from this area of Chester Co, SC as well? I am anxious to prove who Mary's parents were. Thomas and Mary later moved south into Newton Co, GA where they established a church called Hopewell ARP (Presbyterian) in an area known as Snapping Shoals. We believe Thomas Bell had a brother named George Bell who may have also lived at one time in Chester Co, SC and may have lso moved into Newton Co. about 1826. There are three boys of Bell name who appear in a census with Thomas Bell in 1850 who may possibly be the sons of Thomas' brother George--all these boys are born in NC. I would dearly love to find someone who is researching the Bells and Stewarts of Chester Co, SC. Incidentally, I will mention that I have done a lot of research in the Newton Co, GA area, also Morgan Co, GA and a lot of the names that appear above in the list of folks who came over on the Earl of Donnegal ship from Belfast are the same names that you will find in these GA counties. Somebody might find some ancestors there--thanks to the person who posted this wonderful find. I intend to research this ship as well.

BELL surname Chester Co.

Judy Jordan (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: BELL, HUGHES
I am researching the name of John BELL of Chester Co. I believe him to be the father of Elizabeth who married William HUGHES. On page 50 of the tombstone book there is a John BELL listed with a dod 22 Jan. 1819 age 67. Elizabeth BELL HUGHES was born 16 Feb. 1788, died 6 April 1847. Do you have any more information on the siblings/uncles or other family of your Thomas BELL? Thanks

Bells of Chester Co, SC

Posted: 13 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Hi--The name of John Bell is certainly one that came down in the family, but I do not know of a conntection to Hughes family yet. I can tell you this much--that there were other Bells in the Chester area before my Thomas came there. I think they were related to him. He was quite young when he came--his father had been killed in the Battle of Waterloo--and I do not know if his mother was still living or not. But I believe it is possible that Thomas and his brother George came to America to find relatives who had gone on before. All I know at this point is that Thomas married Mary Stewart b. 3 October 1794 in SC. It is possible that her family was from York Co, SC prior to coming to Chester Co. Her father is supposed to be Archibald Stewart--I am trying to figure out which one now--there are so many of them. If I run into any Hughes, I will let you know. The name "Hugh" is in the Stewart family but I do not know if it came from "Hughes" or not. There is a Hugh Stewart who was a Scottish merchant who married Ann Orr, d/o John Orr and Susan Monroe Grayson. Does that ring any bells? There is a Hugh Stewart in Chester Co, SC in 1790.

Bells of Chester Co, SC

Judy Jordan (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: BELL, HUGHES
Thanks for your response. I don't have any Stewarts in my line....at least that I'm aware of at this point. There does seem to be a lot of Bells who settled in Chester...the same with the Hughes. Sometimes I feel as if I'm trying to track Jones & Smith surnames! The given name of Thomas is used in the Hughes line too...as is William. All these reused given names make it such fun....!

Valentine Bell of Chester Co.

Posted: 10 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 6:23PM GMT
Surnames: BELL, MACGRUDER, ATKINSON
There was another Bell family in Chester Co. in the late 1700's to early 1800's. They were Valentine Bell and Mary MacGruder. Their daughter, Fielder Bell, married James Atkinson. They are both buried in the Atkinson Family Burying Ground in Chester Co.

Thomas Bell/ Mary Stewart

Posted: 10 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Nov 2002 12:48AM GMT
Hi Jan, I have great, great grandparents named Thomas Bell
and Mary Stewart. We have Thomas born July 1,1801 and Mary
born Oct.3, 1804. They were married Sept.22, 1819-at a very
early age it seems. Their children were Nancy Boyd, Archibald Stewart, Mary Ann, Thomas Jefferson, Sarah Eliz.,
Then we think Mary died and Thomas married Ellender Deathridge and had Frances Ellender and possibly Elsie Jane
who was my Mother's grandmother. I will give your address to
my aunt who is further researching this line. We have been
searching for this family for a long time, we never looked in Chester Co., SC since we had a estate record for Newton
Co. Ga. I hope we can exchange information and I'm so glad
to have found you!!! Oh yes, my Mother's maiden name was
Kimble. Anxious to hear from you- Leona Watson Moura in
Montana

Thomas Bell/Mary Stewart

Posted: 11 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
I am THRILLED to find you, too! This is great! I have never found many people who research this line. This is the first time I have ever found anyone who could give me Thomas and Mary's marriage date! Do you know where they married? Also, I have more information on children of this family and you have some names that I did not have. My snail mail address is Jan R. Bell, 315 Kramer Street, Carrollton, GA 30117 if you would like to correspond that way. I will have to make some copies for you because I have too much to type into the computer. Also, I have been researching the Stewarts and I know that Mary's father is supposed to be Archibald Stewart of Chester County, SC, but there are several and I cannot figure out which one is her father--do you know? I will look forward to hearing from you again.

Thomas Bell/Mary Stewart

Posted: 13 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Nov 2002 12:48AM GMT
Hi Jan, so glad to hear from you. I will be visiting with
my aunt and uncle this week and we'll gather some information and send it to you. Have you heard of a Soloman
Thomas Bell? I think he was a brother to Elsie Jane Bell
Kimble-anyway we have lists of names that I will sort through and send to you.I kind of guessed Mary's father might be named Archibald because he was the first son of Thomas and Mary-sometimes those naming patterns prove to be
accurate. Have you found anything on him in Chester Co., S.
C.? I'll be in touch- Leona

Re: BELL surname Chester Co.

Posted: 11 Nov 2006 10:57PM GMT
I am also interested in the John Bells of Chester Co. One in particular was John N. Bell who was the brother of Valentine Bell who died and left a will in 1799. I am descended from Valentine's son, Valentine, who left Chester Co. around 1812 and went to Madison Co., Mississippi Territory. The other John at the time was a Revolutionary soldier and there are records for him in the archives at Columbia. EWM

Re: BELL surname Chester Co.

Judy (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 2006 11:02PM GMT
I have since found out I have no connections to the Bell family in SC. Sorry!
Judy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions