Search for content in message boards

Edward Cassidy - Donegal & Virginia

Edward Cassidy - Donegal & Virginia

Posted: 19 Dec 2009 9:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cassidy McConnell
Looking for any descendants of Edward (Ed) Cassidy, born in Co Donegal (possibly Carraduffy) c. 1889. Parents George Cassidy and Isabella Allingham.

He emigrated to the States and I believe ended up as a policeman in Virginia.

He used to correspond with his cousin Bill McConnell, who emigrated from Co Donegal to Melbourne, Australia in the 1950s.

Any info would be appreciated.

Re: Edward Cassidy - Donegal & Virginia

Posted: 6 Nov 2011 12:43AM GMT
Just saw this post and you may already have loads of information about Ed Cassidy. My grandfather was Edward Cassidy, born in Donegal, Ireland in October, 1889. He died in 1972. However, he was not a policeman in Virginia. He worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad; his son, my father (also Ed) lived in Virginia (but not a policeman). From what I understand, my grandfather and his brother George were the only children of Isabella and George who did not immigrate to Australia, so your cousin probably kept in contact with Ed's other siblings in Australia as well! I have created a family tree on this site with loads of info and a few pictures. I will attempt to attach a picture of Ed (my pop pop)!
Thanks, Pat Cassidy Barr
Attachments:

Posted: 6 Nov 2011 9:45AM GMT
Hi Pat.

Thanks for getting in touch and clearing up Ed's occupation.

I understand that it was the Cassidys who emigrated to Australia who persuaded my great great uncle, Bill McConnell, to take his young family there after his wife died. One of Bill's daughters and I correspond at Christmas so I'll let her know that I've been in touch with the US side of the family.

My great great grandmother, Mary Cassidy McConnell, was George's sister, the youngest of the family as far as I'm aware. If you would like any info on her family you have only to ask. I also have info on other Cassidy lines that you may or may not have. I've received the same document from about 3 different people with Cassidy lines in it, so it's possible you may have received the same one at some point.

Good to hear from you and if would like anything please drop me an email.

Regards.

Ian McConnell

Posted: 13 Sep 2013 1:31AM GMT
Surnames: Cassidy
Hello, My ancestors are related to yours through my 3rd great grandfather George Cassidy of Carraduffy. George was born in 1789 , married to Mary Johnston. His children included Hugh, my 2nd great grandfather born in 1810; George, born in 1815 (both immigrated to the U.S.); John, born 1819; Andrew; Catherine; William; and I believe,Margaret. The son John, born 1819, married Isabella Vance and one of his children was George, born about 1851, who married Isabella Allingham. George's son Edward was born in 1889...and there you go.

From this, I calculate that my 3rd great grandfather Hugh was uncle to his brother John's son George, b. 1851, and great uncle to Edward, b.1889.

I would be interested in learning any more about the families as I have just found the Cassidy connection in Carraduffy. Thanks. Marilee

Posted: 15 Sep 2013 10:56AM GMT
Hi Marilee, thanks for getting in touch.

I'd be only too pleased to send you what I have on the Cassidys. Hopefully you'll be able to add or confirm some dates.

I'm going away for a few days but if you'd like to send me your email address I'll send you some info when I get back.

Ian

Posted: 15 Sep 2013 1:01PM GMT
That would be great...my email is modonnell05@comcast.net Also, if you have any info on Edwards' descendants who live in the U.S. and especially in the Mid-Atlantic, that would be wonderful - I'd like to contact some of my fourth cousins (I think that's who they would be). I live in Harpers Ferry, WV bordering Virginia.
Thanks!
Marilee

Posted: 16 Sep 2013 10:47PM GMT
Hello Marilee,

My grandfather, Edward Cassidy, was born October, 1889. His parents were George and Isabelle. I think the Hugh you reference was his brother. However, I don't believe he was a police officer. Edward had three children. My father was one of them. Born in philadelphia in 1922 died 1979. He married my mother and they had five children. We all live in the Philadelphia area.

Pat(ricia) Cassidy Barr

Posted: 16 Sep 2013 11:45PM GMT
Hi Pat, Hugh was actually John's brother. John was the father of George (Isabella's huband) so therefore Hugh would have been Edward's uncle. Hugh was born in 1810. I think that would make you and I 4th cousins! Do you have any stories about Carraduffy passed down from your grandfather?

I am going to Ireland next week and was hoping to find some Cassidy's in Carraduffy that are related. Do you know of any that are still there? Or I would love to be in touch with your family and perhaps meet sometime since we are cousins. I live in Harpers Ferry, WV but on occasion visit the Philadelphia area. My email is modonnell05@comcast.net.
Thanks.
Marilee

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 1:15AM GMT
Pat, FYI, here is the line of my ancestors:

George Cassidy, born 1789 (also father of John Cassidy)
Hugh Cassidy, born 1810 (brother of John/married to Isabella Vance))
George Cassidy, born 1853 (1st cousin of George/married to Isabella Allingham)
Eva Cassidy born 1878 (my grandmother/2nd cousin to Edward Sr.) )
Elizabeth Patricia Hamilton , born 1912 (my mother/3rd cousin to Edward Jr. )
Me, born 1942 (4th cousin to you)

Marilee

Posted: 28 Sep 2013 10:03AM GMT
Hi Marilee.

I've been trying to send you some family trees for the last three days but nothing seems to want to leave my Outbox! I'll get them to you as soon as I get the problem resolved.

Ian
per page

Find a board about a specific topic