Search for content in message boards

Ancestry Extracts

Ancestry Extracts

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 4:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Was just wondering if anyone prints out and keeps the Ancestry extracts. When I print out a census I also print the "information" sheet (extract) that gives the source (citation) information. Does anyone else file this information sheet with their census sheet? If not, do you just use it to enter the source citation in your stand-alone software? Some of these are only index information so there's not an actual document but I guess I can use the info to get an actual copy of the document from the Family History Center. Just wondered what others are doing. Thanks for any input.

Kim

Re: Ancestry Extracts

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 4:31PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jan 2013 1:39PM GMT
I, for one, prefer incorporating index-provided data in all my citations (sometimes I'll forget to do so), but not as gospel info (I always correct any indexing transcription errors with a notation to that effect and will often add additional info to it).

Perhaps its a somewhat lazy approach to summarizing all the content within a particular document, but it will generally provide at least the basics of the source...and indexes are, after all, simply a record of someone else's perception of content.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 3:09AM GMT
Edited: 31 Dec 2012 6:13AM GMT
Ditto - attaching the index data is what I've been doing as well.

In the case of mis-enumerated, mis-transcribed, mis-indexed data I was forever adding notes to events explaining how the individual was mis-indexed, why the source is actually that for the individual I attached it to (for example pointing out children/family with correct ages). Attaching the index data alleviates much of that work. And importantly contains the search criteria/data needed to find the source, in this case using ACOM.

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 3:54AM GMT
Thanks for your help. That is exactly what I needed to know. I will use the information in my software then file with my documents.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic