Search for content in message boards

Friel, Laverty from Ballymena

Friel, Laverty from Ballymena

Posted: 20 Feb 2007 10:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Friel, Laverty, McLaughlin
Looking for connections to Hugh Laverty or James Friel from Ballymena. My GGranfather James Friel was born there in 1832 moved to Stranolar, Donegal around 1860's. Hugh Laverty married Margaret McLaughlin 1878 in Ballymena. They had 5 daughters,Mary was my Grandmother.

Re: Friel, Laverty from Ballymena

Posted: 30 Dec 2009 5:02AM GMT
Surnames: McKenna, McKeague, Laverty, Leadon
I have Laverty ancestors in the area during that timeframe. James Laverty and Mary Laverty (nee Kelly) had children Robert (born 1868), Charles, Thomas, James and Mary (maybe others?). They may have lived in Toome, but definitely resided in Drummard Townland. Later, son Thomas moved to Tamlaghtduff.

Our line is descended from Robert Laverty (b. 1868, d. 1922). He married Catherine Leadon, had seven children and operated a shoemaker's shop in Belfast prior to 1920. Due to unrest in Belfast, he and family moved to Bancran Glebe prior to his death in 1922.

Posted: 17 Mar 2010 11:50PM GMT
Hi,

I've emailed you regarding this post- it seems we have similar people on our trees. Care to confirm? I am an ancestor of Thomas Laverty, who is Robert's brother.

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 9:08PM GMT
Surnames: Laverty
my family tree is connected to Hugh Patrick Laverty, he had 5 daughters to Margaret and then remarried to Catherine and they had 9 children and settled in Stranorlar in Co. Donegal their son Henry would have been Mary's half brother

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 9:48PM GMT
Hi

That seems to be a connection. James Friel and Hugh came to Stranolar together to work on the Railroad. Do you have any info on that or any Friel connection in your family tree.

If Mary Laverty married John Friel, that was my Grandfather.

Thanks
John Friel

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 10:06PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jan 2013 10:26PM GMT
Hugh worked on the railway as a railway fitter in Stranorlar when he first arrived he was married to Margaret McLaughlin in 1878 who was also from Ballymena. He was widowed and married Catherine Rutherford from Stranorlar. He was born in Deerfin in Ballymena son of Hugh and Mary nee 0 Hara His father Hugh was born in Ballymena circa 1830. Was your Mary also the daughter of Hugh and Mary He had two sons called Henry one to his first wife he died when he was about 12 years old and the second one to his second wife Catherine. I visited their grave in Stranorlar graveyard last year. The census for Stranorlar in 1901 and 1911 shows that Hugh Patrick Laverty worked on the railways and he died in 1929.

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 5:30PM GMT
My Grandmother Mary Laverty born 1878 to Hugh and Margaret laverty married my Grandfather John Friel in Stranolar 1905. My GGrandfather James Friel born 1832 in Deerfin, Glennwhiry parish Antrim came to Stranolar with Hugh Laverty to work on the Railroad. Is your connection Is your connection Henry and do you still have family in Stranolar?

Have you come across much info from Deerfin, that info seems to be hard to come by

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 9:15PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jan 2013 12:10AM GMT
Yes we still have family in Stranorlar. Henry who was Mary's half brother.(mother Catherine Rutherford father Hugh) Hugh who originally came from Ballymena married after the death of Margaret. Mary Laverty was out of the house on the night of the census of 1901 and her name is shown as Minnie Lafferty and a visitor in Meenavoy. Some of my Laverty family still live in Stranorlar. I have a photograph of the grave of Hugh Patrick Laverty I am not sure where his first wife Margaret was buried. I also have a copy of the birth certificate of Hugh Patrick Laverty showing his place of birth as Deerfin I noticed the census of 1901 shows a John Friel living only a few doors away from the Laverty family in Stranorlar. According to 1911 census John and Mary had 3 children and Johns mother and brother also lived in the house with them

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 10:32PM GMT
Have you seen the photograph of Friel family grave at Stranorlar graveyard which gives details of Anne, John, Catherine and Minnie Friel nee Laverty. There is also a photo of the gravestone of Hugh Patrick Laverty and his wife Catherine. I am not sure where Margaret Laverty nee McLaughlin is buried possibly in Ballymena

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 9:32PM GMT
no other info in Deerfin except birth certificate and marriage certificate of Hugh Patrick Laverty
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions