Search for content in message boards

Sikes/Sykes research genealogy

Sikes/Sykes research genealogy

Posted: 1 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 May 2002 11:40PM GMT
Surnames: Sikes, Sykes
I am looking for any of the Sikes/Sykes decendants. William Calvin Sikes was born in TN and moved to MS, but his childen move to Richland and Madison in the late 1800 hundreds. I heard that he married seven times.
I would like to hear from any of his decendents from that area. Thanks, Joyce

Re: Sikes/Sykes research genealogy

Posted: 15 Feb 2005 11:04PM GMT
Surnames: Sikes/Sykes--Cupit families
My father Wesley Melton Sykes was born on January 13, 1922 in Richland Parish, Louisiana. His parents were Milton Sylvester Sykes from Crystal Springs, Mississippi and Mary Jane Cupit from either Woodhaven or Franklin, Mississippi.
My grandfathers parents were William C (Charlie?) Sykes/Sikes and Margaret Melissa Cupit. My granny's parents were William Richard Cupit and Julia Anne Rushing.
William Richard Cupit and Margaret Melissa Cupit were the children of Joseph Cupit and Rebekkah Byrd. William C(charlie?) was rumored to be from Tennessee and folklore has it that he won his last wife in a poker game at the ripe old age of ten. (I don't know if that's true or not)

Posted: 7 Aug 2007 7:04PM GMT
Surnames: Cupit, Sykes
I've just started working on this family for a friend. She is hoping to find information about medical histories.

My friend's grandmother was Bertha Sykes, who was a sister to your Milton Sylvester Sykes. Bertha also married a Cupit, and I would guess it might have been a brother of your Mary Jane Cupit; but that's just a guess. Bertha married 2nd some Chappell or other who adopted her Cupit children from her first marriage (Earl Mayo and Susie Lee Cupit).

If I have the census information straight, all of the children of Melissa Cupit and Charles Sykes were born in Mississippi except the last one, Vella (pronunced VEE-ella), who was b in Louisiana.

Do you happen to have more information about this line, such as which Cupit Bertha Sykes married? Would you have any death certificate info for any of the Charles Sykes-Melissa Cupit families? Are you aware of a Cupit family reunion that is held each year, I think later in August, and in Arkansas, for descendants of these families?

Will gladly share census stuff, or whatever I have that might be of interest. Can find out from friend exactly when & where the Cupit reunion is held if you are interested.

Posted: 11 Aug 2007 2:09AM GMT
No, I don't have any information on these Sikes'. My interest is in Charles' half nephew,who move to Delhi in about 1920? His name is Calvin Sikes who is burried in the Masonic Cemetery. Let me hear from you.

Posted: 27 Nov 2007 2:29AM GMT
I think I have what you are looking for. I sent an email to jshorter@yahoo.com ...Calvin was my great great GF. I have pictures to share if interested. I owuld love to be able to add to my tree. rwalker@grimwave.com

Posted: 16 Mar 2012 5:40AM GMT
Surnames: Sikes/Sykes
My grandfather was Melton Sykes he died of cancer. His sister Bertha Sykes, my great aunt was married to Daniel Cammie Cupit, and then married another man who my father has said was named Carter Chappell. And, according to the story, Mary Ann Sykes who my father referred to as Aunt Molly? was born in Louisiana on Christmas Day. Supposedly the family was on its way to Texas from Mississippi, when their wagon broke a wheel.

Posted: 16 Mar 2012 6:22AM GMT
Surnames: Cupit, Chappell, Sykes
I have the nickname Mollie for Mary Ann Sykes also. Her birthplace was shown as Mississippi in the 1910 census; I suppose because that's where they were going. That's a nice family story you have there.

I have names for ten children in that family (Charles Sykes + Margaret Melissa Cupit); do you need them?.

Bertha's first husband Cammie was her first cousin, I believe. He was censused in 1900 as a girl named Camie, age 7. In 1910 he was Samuel C., age 17. I can't find him in 1920; Bertha is living with her mother that year, has two children, and says she is married. In 1930 he was Cammie, age 37; his wife then is Fannie, who he seems to have married about 1920.

I'm guess that whoever talked to the census taker in 1910 said Cammie was Daniel C. and the census taker heard Samuel C.

Thank you for the name Carter Chappell. I didn't have a clue.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic