Search for content in message boards

Vargo/Varga's in SE MO

Vargo/Varga's in SE MO

Posted: 18 Feb 2008 2:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Roberts, Vargo, Magura, McCarty
Trying to find information on a few Vargo's or possibly spelled Varga in the Southeastern Missouri area...particularly leading to Vargo's in St Francois County, MO. They are Joseph, Michael, and Agnes. Any information on any of these would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Vargo/Varga's in SE MO

Posted: 19 Feb 2008 12:31PM GMT
Can you give us some dates on the Vargo's

Re: Vargo/Varga's in SE MO

Posted: 19 Feb 2008 2:26PM GMT
Surnames: Varga, Vargo, Banyik, Juhasz, Jesko, Kohut, Magura, Kalal, Oswald
Michael Varga
b. 1767; Ondavske, Matiasovce, Slovakia
d. 18 Jan 1805; Ondavske, matiasovce, Slovakia
married Maria Banyik
children: Joseph Varga
Joseph Varga
b. 27 Feb 1792; Ondavske Matiasovce, Slovakia
d. 02 Aug 1831; Ondavske Matiasovce, Slovakia
married Maria Juhasz
children: Micheal Varga
Micheal Varga
b. 09 Sept 1813
d. 21 May 1852
married Helena Jesko
children: Micheal Vargo
Micheal Vargo
b. 25 Dec 1839; Matiasovce, Slovakia
d. 1876
married Anna Kohut
children: Agnes Vargo, Michael J Vargo, Alice Elizabeth
Vargo
Agnes Vargo
b. 11 Oct 1867; Czechoslovakia
d. 09 Oct 1949; Bonne Terre, St Francois County, MO, USA
married Michael John Magura Sr
children: Michael John Magura Jr, Elizabeth Magura, Anna
Agnes Magura, Helen Myrtle Magura, Mary (Kalal),
John Paul Magura
Michael J Vargo
b. 15 Oct 1862; Austria
d. 19 Oct 1943; Bonne Terre, St Francois County, MO, USA
married Mary
children: John Vargo, Annie, Vargo, Mary Vargo, Joseph
Vargo
Alice Elizabeth Vargo
b. 1873; Slovakia
d. 14 Nov 1957; Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio, USA
married Paul Oswald
children: Andrew Paul Oswald, Michael J Oswald, Paul
Oswald, Joseph Oswald, Mary Oswald

Re: Vargo/Varga's in Cleveland, OH

Posted: 20 Feb 2008 4:05AM GMT
Surnames: Vargo, Johnson, Jecewicz, Bakos, Gregelevich
Such a wonderful and extensive history. I am interested because my Vargos lived in Cleveland, OH (as your Alice Elizabeth)and are either from Slovenia or Slovakia. They immigrated to the US in 1881 for Peter Vargo b Jan 1850 and 1886 for his wife Catherine Bakos b Feb 1860. They had the following children, that I am aware of:

Stephane Vargo b Sept 1880 Hungary (or Slovenia, etc)m Virginia Anna Johnson (Jecewicz)b 4 Jul 1904 Providence, RI
Susan Vargo b Aug 1886 Ohio
John Vargo b Sep 1888 Ohio Peter James (my grandfather) b 3 Aug 1892 Fairview, Penn
Catherine Vargo b Aug 1886 Ohio
James Vargo ?

I haven't been able to find out anything more about my mother's family and would love to find someone who has more information.

Posted: 20 Feb 2008 4:06AM GMT
Oops missed a line: This is the correction:

from Slovenia or Slovakia. They immigrated to the US in 1881 for Peter Vargo b Jan 1850 and 1886 for his wife Catherine Bakos b Feb 1860. They had the following children, that I am aware of:

Stephane Vargo b Sept 1880 Hungary (or Slovenia, etc)Susan Vargo b Aug 1886 Ohio
John Vargo b Sep 1888 Ohio
Peter James (my grandfather) b 3 Aug 1892 Fairview, Penn m Virginia Anna Johnson (Jecewicz)b 4 Jul 1904 Providence, RI
Catherine Vargo b Aug 1886 Ohio
James Vargo ?

My grandmother Virginia married Peter James Vargo not Stephane.

Posted: 20 Feb 2008 4:50PM GMT
Surnames: Vargo
I didn't find any of the names you mentioned, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Alice Elizabeth Vargo did die in Ohio, not sure how long she was there, she was born in SE Missouri. Most of my Vargo's were born and died in the SE Missouri area with the exception of a couple being born in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, or Minnesota. Some of the others were of course born in Slovakia and Austria.

Posted: 28 Nov 2008 10:19PM GMT
lcangel

Someplace in the children US documents should be their parents place of birth.
Slovenia, Slovakia 2 different countries and languages. Have you located their arrival manifest? Draft Registration Form? Naturalization petition? State marriage application? Church they attended should have something on the books.

Posted: 29 Nov 2008 3:20PM GMT
Surnames: Gregelevich, Jecewicz, Vargo
Ideally I would have documents, but I do not, other than incidental documents for my mother. Complicates things. In addition, consider that my grandmother Anna Jecewicz was adopted in the US at age 5 and the family name was changed on entry to the US to Johnson. Do you have any idea how many Anna Johnson's there are?

I have been working on geneaology since 1999, mostly on families that have been in the US for hundreds of years. I did as much as a I could with the Lithuanian and and Slovenia / Hungary families. My mother was not sure if her father's family was from Slovenia or Slovakia. In the census data it states Hungary. In fact her father is alternately listed as being born in Fairview Ohio or Pennsylvania depending on the documents I see.

Do you have any idea how many Peter Vargos there are in Cleveland, OH over the past decades?

What I was hoping for, was a family connection. Someone that may be familiar with my families, because they are related and they may be able to assist. I have had incredible connections with other family members I have found in other lines. Dozens and dozens of people that have a connection to my US families. Some connections that began in the 1600's. So I was hoping to provide enough information that I could make some family connections.

I am not sure of your experience, but mine is that someone could answer my post in several years out of the blue with a hint or a family branch in my family tree.

Thank you for yor hints, though.

Laurie C. Angel

Posted: 29 Nov 2008 3:20PM GMT
Surnames: Gregelevich, Jecewicz, Vargo
Ideally I would have documents, but I do not, other than incidental documents for my mother. Complicates things. In addition, consider that my grandmother Anna Jecewicz was adopted in the US at age 5 and the family name was changed on entry to the US to Johnson. Do you have any idea how many Anna Johnson's there are?

I have been working on geneaology since 1999, mostly on families that have been in the US for hundreds of years. I did as much as a I could with the Lithuanian and and Slovenia / Hungary families. My mother was not sure if her father's family was from Slovenia or Slovakia. In the census data it states Hungary. In fact her father is alternately listed as being born in Fairview Ohio or Pennsylvania depending on the documents I see.

Do you have any idea how many Peter Vargos there are in Cleveland, OH over the past decades?

What I was hoping for, was a family connection. Someone that may be familiar with my families, because they are related and they may be able to assist. I have had incredible connections with other family members I have found in other lines. Dozens and dozens of people that have a connection to my US families. Some connections that began in the 1600's. So I was hoping to provide enough information that I could make some family connections.

I am not sure of your experience, but mine is that someone could answer my post in several years out of the blue with a hint or a family branch in my family tree.

Thank you for yor hints, though.

Laurie C. Angel

Posted: 29 Nov 2008 3:24PM GMT
Your welcome, Laurie
Please click on my name to see how many posts I have answered. I did not mean any disrespect to your research ability as I hope you do not disrespect mine.
Do post on all the boards that apply to your surnames. Wider exposure will bring out distant relatives. Good luck.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic