Search for content in message boards

Wick Family, Erie Pennsylvania

Wick Family, Erie Pennsylvania

Posted: 8 Feb 2003 12:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for information on Wick family that arrivedin Erie ~ September 1837. Albion Wick and his wife Franzika Gredler with 3 children, then had four more in Erie County PA. Children were: Charles, Vantrop, Marie (born at sea en route to America), Barbara, Susana, Peter, Benedict. I lose track of them after 1850 or so - can find Wicks in northwestern PA, but not sure if they match mine

Thanks

Re: Wick Family, Erie Pennsylvania

Posted: 18 Aug 2003 1:34AM GMT
Surnames: Wick, O'Hearn
Lucinda, I am from Erie & my maiden name is Wick. I too have been trying to trace this family name, but I don't find connections with other Wick family lines. My grandfather was Dominic b. Jan 16, 1907, parents Edward Wick & Eleanor O'Hearn. I have his siblings names but not much else. Maybe we could compare more notes.

Kathy

Posted: 23 Apr 2005 10:20AM GMT
Surnames: Wick, Gredler, Bleile, Bihlmann, Rinderle
Kathy - long delayed. I think that we may tie together this way: what do you think?
I am descended from Joseph Gredler (b 1775, Biengen, Baden Germany, d aft 1850 Erie PA) m Magdalena Escher (b 3/1774, Baden Germany, d 1840-1850 Erie PA). Daughter Franziska Gredler (b 3/7/01806 Biengen, Baden Germany) m Alban Wick (b 1803~Germany, d Erie County, PA). Son Benjamin Wick (b 1846 Greene Twp,. Erie PA) m Catherine b ~1854, Pennsylvania). Son Edward P. Wick (b ~1878 Erie County PA) m Nellie Ahern (b ~1876 Pennsylvania). They had 5 children: Dominick (b 1/16/1907, d 5/1981 Erie PA), James Wick (b 1901~, d (maybe) 10/1974 Hammonton NJ?), Edward Wick (b 1909), Albert (b1914~), Mary Wick (b 1920~).

We beleive that Joseph Gredler's immigration with several of his 9 children founded 5 familes in America: Gredlers, Wick, Bleile/Bliley, Rinderle and Bihlmann/Bellman. essentially, at leat one son from each of the other families married a Gredler daughter.

Pls let me know what you think.

Best

Lucinda

Posted: 4 Jan 2006 11:10PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jan 2006 6:07PM GMT
Lucinda, sorry this is also long delayed. Not long after you posted your message, my husband & I relocated to Tennessee and I have not thought about genealogy since.

It was great to see a response to my post; you have given me encouraging information. I have seen Benjamin/Catherine Wick in a few searches but didn't think of them as a link. I was beginning to think there might be some family secret ... Anyway, I remember my ggrandfather Edward P Wick when I was a little girl. He was a very tall/large man! I don't remember his death ... I also don't know what happened to my ggrandmother Ellen. I've assumed that she died before I was born. I have my grandfather Dominick's obituary listing his parents as Edward P and Ellen O'Hern Wick. I have a copy of a picture that my grandmother Betty (Dom's wife) labeled Edward & Nell wedding, but there are 4 persons in the picture. Dominick's brothers James J & Edward F died prior to him in 1981, but I didn't know them.

So how are you placed in all of this??

Posted: 14 Jan 2006 8:24PM GMT
I also have a Joseph Gredler born in Biengen, Germany, but I have him married to an Ursula Bosch on July 5, 1824. She was born August 16, 1798 in Biengen. The only other thing I know about the family is that she died sometime before 1850 in Erie, PA. Ursula Bosch is the sister of my gggg-grandmother, Euphrosina Bosch. Euphrosina and her husband, Aloys Bohrer immigrated to Erie shortly after Joseph and Ursula Gredler did. Now whether or not this is the same Joseph Gredler, I'm not sure, but what I am sure of is that if it's not the same man, it's at the very least a relative. Let me know if you need any other information about ancestors from Biengen, Germany to Erie, PA. My (direct) family names from Biengen include, Bohrer, Bosch, Schwartz/Schwarz, Brotbeck, Zimmermann, Pfeiffer, Ehrler, Wuerz, Baessler, and Herz.

Katie Rennie

Posted: 14 Jan 2006 8:34PM GMT
Surnames: Gredler
Nevermind, I checked my records again, and the Joseph Gredler I'm talking about is the son of the Joseph Gredler mentioned previously. Just thought I'd let you know!

Katie Rennie

Lucinda (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2006 9:22AM GMT
Surnames: Gredler / Bosch / Zimmerman / Depinet / Bartel
Hi Katie - Ursula Bosch is my 2nd great grandmother. She is the mother of my great grandfather Johann Gredler (m Catherine Depinet) who was the father of my grandfather Matthew Gredler (m Minnie Bartel) . My mother was Lucille Gredler.
I found Ursula in the 1860 census - so this doesn't fit with your records. Ursula's grave is in St. Boniface cemetery in Erie
Other names overlap with some of mine. Seems like we might be 3rd or 4th cousins, or once or twice removed. There are several other families from Biengen who came to Erie PA. Some have ineresting history
I'd be interested in exploring more detail directly with you. Suggest you email me offline.

Posted: 15 Jan 2006 6:31PM GMT
Surnames: Wick, Gredler, Bleile, Bihlmann, Rinderle
Hi Kathy -
Alban Wick (grandfather of Edward P.) married Franziska Gredler/Grethler my 2nd great-grant aunt - sounds more remote than it feels because I grew up in Erie PA, where the connected families first settled.
Alban and Franziska came "over on the boat" (Sagamore) with a number of Gredlers - all children of Joseph Gredler (b ~1775 Biengen, Baden Germany). Joseph and his wife Magdalena had ~12 children. Through various marriages, they began the American lineages of Gredler/Grethler, Bihlmann/Bellman, Rinderle, Wick and Bleile/Bliley. There has been quite a bit of work on the Gredlers, Bleiles and Bellmans - all married with/to many of the early Erie PA families.
Suspect that our files may mesh well and be interesting to both of us – I’d love to trade some info offline. Email works! Best, Lucinda

Posted: 23 Nov 2009 5:30AM GMT
Surnames: EHRLER
I noticed that you have a connection to Ehrler's. I recently purchased an old oval frame c/w a portrait of a child about 18 months old. While removing the portrait I found an order form and reciept for the Independant Portrait Co., from Connellsville, PA for $6.96 from a Mrs. A. C. Ehrler. I would be more than pleased to return the portrait to anybody that is related to these people. I can be contacted at alveley3241 at telus.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic