Search for content in message boards

M.E. Cemetery Elmont (LI/Queens NY)

M.E. Cemetery Elmont (LI/Queens NY)

Posted: 12 Jul 2002 3:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
I recently got the death certificate for my gggrandfather , George Abrams, and the cemetery listed on it was M. E. Cemetery Elmont. I called the Municipal Archives and they could not tell me which cemetery that was, and they're the ones who sent the certificate! Can anyone help? Thanks:) Michele

Re: M.E. Cemetery Elmont (LI/Queens NY)

Posted: 16 Jul 2002 3:22PM GMT
Edited: 27 Feb 2004 8:33PM GMT
Michele,
If your family is Jewish, it sounds like it could be Maimonides Elmont, which is next to Beth David on Elmont Road. This site http://www.jgsny.org/cemeteries.htm gives a general map of the area. Look at # 24.

Also from that website:
Maimonides Elmont County: Nassau
90 Elmont Road, Elmont, NY 718-347-0095
P.O. Box 125, Elmont, NY 11003
The Maimonides Elmont office holds the records for both Maimonides Elmont and Maimonides Brooklyn. Some records exist for burial society plots.

Hope that helps,
Bonnie Birns

Michele H. Golder (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2002 3:55PM GMT

Posted: 18 Jul 2002 8:02PM GMT
Michele,

M.S. stands for Methodist Episcopal, a denomination of Methodist that no longer exists. ME churches became part of the United Methodist Church.

Elmont and Valley Stream are in Nassau County, not part of New York City, but very close, on the Queens County border.

United Methodist Church website has a St John's at
2 Rottkamp St
Valley Stream, NY 11580
(516) 285-6003

Valley Stream and Elmont are next to each other, possibly the cemetery or church was Elmont address at one time, or death cert is just wrong as to which village it is in.
If you pull up the above address on mapquest, you will see St. John's Cemetery down the road, about 6 blocks west of the church.

Only way to find out if this is it, is call, good luck.

Nancy

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 10:10PM GMT
Hello, I have just received a death certificate of my
gg grandmother for 1872. The cemetery listed is M.E.
Cemetery. She died in Manhattan. Your posting was 10 years ago, but have you found an address
for this cemetery where your great great was also buried?
Would you share what you found out?
Dorothy

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 1:16AM GMT
It's only a guess but there is a Jewish cemetery in Elmont New York listed as Maimonides -Elmont (to distinguish it from Maimonides - Brooklyn) Call 1 718 347 0095 to see if they can help.

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 10:43PM GMT
Thanks for the information, Bonnie, but my family was not Jewish.

Michele

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 10:47PM GMT
Thank you, Nancy. I have since visited that cemetery on my own. I found the graves of my grandparents and surprisingly, the grave of my gggg-grandparents as well! It was a wonderful surprise. I took lots of photos there if anyone needs a headstone photo, I may just have one.

Best,
Michele

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 10:50PM GMT
Hi Dorothy,

We visited there a few years ago on a week day and no one was at the church there. I wandered through the graveyard which is very well kept. If you let me know who your grandparent is I may have take a photo of the gravestone as I took many photos.

The address is St. John's United Methodist Church on Stuart St. in Elmont, NY. The phone number that I have for it is 518-285-6003 if it is still valid.

Best,
Michele

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 10:54PM GMT
Michele,

I wasn't expecting to get a response 10 1/2 years after I posted a message! I am glad you are still searching your family and happy that you were able to find where they were buried.

Good luck in you research!
Bonnie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions