Search for content in message boards

Newspaperarchives.com lesson learned scam

Newspaperarchives.com lesson learned scam

Posted: 4 Feb 2007 5:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am embarrassed to say that I got scammed out of a chunk of change myself. I got suckered in on the "free trial" in newspaperarchives.com and it was during the Thanksgiving holiday season. I called within the timeframe, but they were closed. If I remember right, I had to call within a few days. I didn't realize they meant you had to call on a holiday. They also led me to believe you could pay by the month. I felt rather stupid, but I have learned my lesson. The website isn't worth two cents, yet alone the exorbiant amount of money they charged my credit card.
The moral to this story is - if there is fine print, you better read it! There is a reason it is in fine print.

Re: Newspaperarchives.com lesson learned scam

Posted: 4 Feb 2007 7:37PM GMT
If you charged with a credit card, dispute the charge through the card company. They will send a form, and a bit of writing of explanation. Might get your money back.

Posted: 4 Feb 2007 11:16PM GMT
Thanks for answering. I didn't read the fine print, so it really is my fault. I feel like they duped me,though, but I chalked it up to a lesson learned. I thought I was dealing with a reputable company like Ancestory.com. They are clear and to the point, not hiding anything from you. They are a pleasure to do business with. I have been online to newspaperarchives.com many times and never gained anything from it. It is a worthless website, other than teaching valuable lessons to schmucks like me about not giving out your credit card number.

Posted: 10 Feb 2007 8:06PM GMT
I've also heard the same general story on a bunch of other boards and forums as well. Stay away from this site!

-- Phil D'Antona

Re: Newspaperarchives.com misleading business

Posted: 4 Apr 2007 9:13PM GMT
Absolutely mislead by Newspaperarchives.com. They had a misleading offer of a "7 Day Free Trial" and were then unreachable via their Customer Service no. in attempts to cancel. Subesquently, they claimed that people had to cancel their "7 day trial" within the first 12 hours to get credit and, unkwoingly, billed me for a year of service at $120. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE. This was a terribly misleading and unethical sales gimmick. I have reported it to the Better Bus. Bureau as well as the Attorney General's Office in Iowa.

Posted: 6 Jun 2007 6:47PM GMT
I also applied for membership in NewspaperARCHIVES.com
BEWARE I haven't found one bit of information from them . After two days I tried to find a phone number or, at least, a place to write to to cancel my membership. I still haven't been able to reach them. \
I have learned my lesson. Nothing else I have tried has been as good as Archives .om

Posted: 3 Jan 2008 1:17AM GMT
Guess I have a different point of view to express. I tried newspaperARCHIVE.com's free offer but, admittedly, changed immediately to the annual subscription after I found six obits. The search process, itself, works rather slow and occasionally it will not load and interesting article, but I believe I have definitely got my money's worth. As in any site I suppose I will someday exhaust the supply of useful material for my family, then I will just cancel. I would surely NOT call it a scam.

Posted: 3 Jan 2008 5:18AM GMT
I'm glad you had success with the site. I never found anything on it other than a famous relative of mine. I'll try it again sometime, but I'll do it for free at the LDS Family History Centers. I'll never give them my credit card number again.

Posted: 3 Jan 2008 7:04PM GMT
I did the 7-day pass and had an unbelievable amount of luck with it. The search engine isn't perfect, so it took a bit of persistence and trying different permutations, but it was well worth the $20 for me. I think people would be wise to check if they have papers covering the time frame and geographical areas where they are searching before trying it.

Posted: 4 Jan 2008 2:03AM GMT
My complaint wasn't the website itself, as much as the way the money was taken out of my account. I'm glad you're having good luck with the site. We all want to be successful in our searches, but treated fairly by the websites at the same time.
On the other hand, so you don't think I'm all about complaints, I love Ancestry.com and VitalRecords. I have spent many dollars with both organizations and will continue to do so because I am treated fairly by these companies.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic