Search for content in message boards

Main Holden and Holden #22 Island creek coal Co

Main Holden and Holden #22 Island creek coal Co

rachelle (View posts)
Posted: 1 Feb 2005 5:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hull, Curry, Dickison,
My grandfather Clayton John Hull worked in Holden 22. His family lived in there as well. His brother Walter Hull also worked in the Mines there. Are there any pictures online of this mine, or pictures of Flat top and English. Thanks.

Re: Main Holden and Holden #22 Island creek coal Co

Posted: 21 Feb 2006 7:28AM GMT
You can goto the Logan County, WV website at http://www.rootsweb.com/~wvlogan/logan.htm and ask them about any pictures you may want. They may be able to help. A lot of things have changed around Holden 22, but mining activities still occur around there today. That mountain has a ghost story attached to it that they at the website can tell you. Holden 22 is actually just a couple mountain ridges away from my home!

Posted: 20 Jul 2009 1:08AM GMT
Is the road over the mountain to what was 22 Holden passable? I grew up in 22 Holden and would to take my son and grand-kids for a visit. We will be traveling through West Virginia the 1st week of August. I would appreciate a quick reply. My e-mail is bdmays@theinter.com

Posted: 21 Jul 2009 8:49PM GMT
Yes it is passable. You can go up Pine Creek to access the road or along Route 119 (4-lane) near The Harless Industrial Park (Gaston Caperton Drive). The mine is still in use so the road is needed for trucks, but atv's and cars frequent the road as well.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic