Search for content in message boards

Help locating place name in Westminster

Help locating place name in Westminster

Posted: 1 Jun 2012 9:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Jun 2012 4:09PM GMT
Surnames: Dell
Just wondering if anyone could help me locate this "place" or street. Check out the record for Charles Henry Dell, number 3336. His address is listed as 3 Erin Place, "Thames Bank"? Am I reading it correctly? Would anyone know where this is or might have been?

Al
Attachments:

Re: Help locating place name in Westminster

Posted: 2 Jun 2012 6:43PM GMT
Thames Bank is in Twickenham SW14 Close to the Chiswick Bridge and the north Sheen cemetery.

I do not see Erin Place on the map at all.

Posted: 2 Jun 2012 9:20PM GMT
Hi
You could try looking on Google Books for "Erin Place", there is a little bit there.
Think it is saying that -
1, 2, 3 Erin Place, Thames Bank
was later known as Nos 102, 103, 104 Grosvenor Road
Apparently No.2 was the Bricklayers Arms (circa early 1850s)

Parish seems to be St George Hanover Square
The "Historical Streets Project" on Your Archives has an "Errin Place" (near Ranelagh Road) listed in that district in 1851 census HO 107/1478 folios 624-5 (no indication of what numbers given here) and HO 107/1477 folios 526-7 (numbers 9-13)
From this you might be able to look up the enumeration district descriptions if they are available online.

Looking on Google Maps/Street View, what now is 104 Grosvenor Road in Westminster is indeed on the bank of the River Thames

And on Mapco (old London maps) http://mapco.net/london.htm
just picking out one - Kelly's Post Office Directory Map Of London 1857, the Pimlico, Westminster section has Thames Bank on it with Ranelagh Road running down to it from Lupus Street.

John

Posted: 2 Jun 2012 10:25PM GMT
Thank you!

This is incredibly useful information! I have not been able to find my family in the 1861 census, and the closest record I've found is a school admission for 1866 at 3 Erin Place. Hopefully I'll be able to track that street down in the 1861 and see if they are there.

And thank you to the previous poster for their response too!

Posted: 3 Jun 2012 12:30PM GMT
The funny thing is, I've been trying all last night to find Grosvenor Road in the 1861 census in Westminster, St. John the Evangelist, but there were only two or three addresses on that road recorded there. Perhaps you're right it being in the St. George Hanover Square district. My Phillimore Parish Register book only seems to indicate St. John.

Al

Posted: 3 Jun 2012 8:40PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jun 2012 8:40PM GMT
Hi Al
Can't access the full census until after the holiday, I'm afraid. But it does look as though Erin Place, and indeed most of what is Grosvenor Road is in St Georges.
MAPCO has also got Stanford's Map Of London Showing The Boundaries Of Parishes, Ecclesiastical Districts, And Poor Law Divisions 1877
Which puts Grosvenor Road in Pimlico (St George Han Sq), its on the Clapham + Lambeth section.
And doing an address search on the 1901 census site for 104 Grosvenor Road confirms this.

Looking up those references for the 1851 census, HO 107/1477 and HO 107/1478, the registration sub-district is Belgrave.
What I do know is that unfortunately the whole of Belgrave sub-district for the 1861 census is lost. So if they are there in 1861 then that will be why you can't find them (have same problem myself with one of my families)
Very frustrating!
John

Posted: 11 Jun 2012 8:48AM GMT
A lot of the streets, where other children attending St Michael's School live, are still in the area.

If you put Ebury Square or Lupus Street into Google maps, you will find the area of London where St Michael's School used to be.

It is close to the Thames, the area is between Chelsea Bridge and Vauxhall Bridge.

Pat ...

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 5:38PM GMT
This is fascinating. I am looking for 3 Erin Place as well. I've just had a death cert. for Elizabeth Tattersall 1854 at that address. I can't fibd it on any maps, although Thames Bank is there as part of Grosvenor Road.

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 6:07PM GMT
If you private message me your email, I can send you a map from 1837 that has Erin Place on it. Since my post, I've been able to find various useful maps. My ancestor was at that address in 1866. I wonder if there is any relation at all?

Posted: 18 Dec 2012 8:19AM GMT
martin.allen17@btinternet.com

I'd be grateful for that. I haven't found one, although I've pinned down to a few hundred yards.

My gg grandmother died there in 1854 of cholera - that was the year of the big outbreak and John Snow's research.

The 1851 census has the house occupied by six families. I'd assume they came and went. My gg grandparents arrived after 1851 and died in 54 and 55. He had been a surveyor connected with railways in Lincolnshire. He is now described as 'contractor at works'. Since there was no railway at Victoria at that point I assume he was working south of the river.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions