Search for content in message boards

Family members who do NOT want to be included???

Family members who do NOT want to be included???

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 8:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am researching our family history as I thought it would be good to do it before more of the information is lost forever.

I wrote to my sister to ask her a couple of questions and she responded that she does not want her information included in any online records for fear of identity theft.

Any suggestions how I might continue my project while leaving one of my siblings out of the records. And how do I list her children without them being readily traced back to her.

Thank you.

Re: Family members who do NOT want to be included???

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 9:15PM GMT
Don't put your family tree online.

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 4:00AM GMT
Or, just make it private and not searchable. Then you can continue to do the research, but will be able to assure your sister that nothing is public at all, so even if there is some Ancestry glitch, her information will not get out.

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 4:25AM GMT
Or simply focus on ancestors beyond a certain year and write down any information about present individuals.

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 4:37AM GMT
You actually could have two trees - one that includes your sister (private and not searchable, but a place to accumulate and sort your research) and one that does not include her (public, if that's your preference).

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 1:58PM GMT
Even if you place your sister and family in a private tree, searchable or unsearchable, once you connect any Ancestry records to her or her family, those records WILL be offered to anyone and everyone researching the same people via the Ancestry hint system.

The following will help:

1) Use first name initials only, and leave last names out (you know who they are, anyway)
2) Do not use their exact date of birth, use only year (exact dates of birth can easily pull public record hints for others to follow)
3) Do not connect any Ancestry records to them, period

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 5:36AM GMT
My main tree is with Family Tree Maker on my computer. I put everything in there. But when I uploaded that tree to Ancestry and when I add things to the Ancestry tree, I put "living" as the name of living people and don't connect records to them, etc.

Your sister doesn't have to have a reason not to want her name and info on an online tree. I feel you should respect her wishes. And if she doesn't want her info there, you can assume it also applies to her children (unless they are grown and give permission).

I suggest that you don't make Ancestry.com the keeper of your only tree. Do one on your computer too. And put ALL the info there.

Cyndi

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 6:42PM GMT
Thank you. Great suggestions. I have just looked at the Family Tree software and was so glad to see they have it for Mac. I will definitely be ordering (or downloading) it today.

I have seen other family records where they say "living and last name". In fact my Dad's step-sister is listed that way in several family trees I found on line. I must admit I wonder about the privacy created by this listing since it did show her husbands name and the name of her three children.

Thanks again.

Dora

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 7:20PM GMT
It's a fine line. At least when the name is roundabout, it can only be inferred by people looking at the tree. It won't come up in searches. In case you didn't know, Ancestry tree information comes up in searches, but only subscribed members or people added to the list or people able to view the tree can read it.

I often put "Living Norman" or some other combo with the surname. Sometimes I do "Living N."

Cyndi

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 8:32PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jan 2013 10:36PM GMT
>I must admit I wonder about the privacy created by this listing since it did show her husbands name and the name of her three children.<

Is the husband deceased?

If one parent has a death date entered prior to adding children, the entry format for a child automatically defaults to *deceased*. It doesn't matter the birth year of the child entered, unless you changed manually to "living", all the data will present in public trees.

This doesn't hold true if children are entered before a parent has a death date entered.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions