Search for content in message boards

William Hutchison, Loudoun County, Virginia

William Hutchison, Loudoun County, Virginia

Posted: 6 Oct 2010 10:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
This William Hutchison, born ca 1715 and died before Nov. 10th, 1787, was the father of Joseph Hutchison (variously, Hutcherson, Hudson). Joseph Hutchison was born about 1756 in Loudoun County, Virginia; he died May 15, 1842, in Hudsonville, Breckinridge County, Kentucky. Joseph was 86 years of age at the time of his death. For proof of Joseph's paternity, see documents I shall mention herein, including Loudoun County Deed Book L, p. 169, deed dated 20 Jul 1776. In this deed, the land owner, John Augustine Washington of Westmoreland County, Virginia, leased 150 acres to farmer William Hutchison (Joseph Hutchison & Susannah Dodson). Susannah was Joseph's wife.

This William Hutchison's wife was NOT Jane Waugh. Her name was Sarah (maiden surname unknown). No other marriages of this William Hutchison of Loudoun County, Virginia, have been discovered. In a plea to the probate court of Loudoun County, Sarah, wife of William Hutchison (deceased), asked the court to appoint Joseph Hutchison the "rite of admst" on the estate of "my beloved husband Wm Hutchison. " Signed: Sarah Hutchison and Wm Chamblin (Chamblin was probably a witness and/or court clerk). [See: Miscellaneous Administration Papers, Loudoun County, Virginia, Oct. 10th 1787.]

Joseph Hutchison was appointed by the court as the administrator of the William Hutchison (deceased) estate. However, he appealed to the court to have others, whom he named, appointed as administrators of the estate in lieu of him. He indicated that his wife, Susannah Hutchison, was likely to expire which was making it difficult for him to comply with his duties as administrator of his father's estate. [See: Papers filed with JUDGMENTS, etc. Jan-Mar 1792, Loudoun County, Virginia, request dated Feb. 12th, 1792.]

The documents settling the William Hutchison estate were presented to the Loudoun County Court 21 Jan 1793, by Wm. Bronough and Ben. Grayson, administrators. The estate settlement was recorded Feb. 11, 1793. [See: Loudoun County, Virginia, Will Book D, p. 299; Estate of Wm. Hutchison.]

I noted that none of the buyers at the auction of the personal property of William Hutchison (deceased)were named Waugh.

There was at least one other William Hutchison in Loudoun County in this era. I have not performed any research respecting other William Hutchisons of Virginia of which there were several.

Re: William Hutchison, Loudoun County, Virginia

Posted: 7 Oct 2010 6:14PM GMT
There was another William Hutchison in Loudoun County, Virginia, in the late 18th century. When searching at Ancestry for William Hutchison, see in "Stories and Publications," this book: James W. Head. HISTORY AND COMPREHENSIVE DESCRIPTION OF LOUDOUN COUNTY, VIRGINIA. Washington, D.C.: Park View Press, 1908, p. 135. The entry states that a William Hutchison was commissioned as an Ensign in June of 1781 and that he was a son of Benjamin Hutchison.

This was not William Hutchison, born 1715, as he was about 66 years of age in 1781 and too old to receive an officer's commission.

The book was also published at Provo, Utah, by The Generations Network, Inc., 2005.

Posted: 8 Oct 2010 11:03AM GMT
Evan Price left a will dated 22 June 1754 in Westmoreland County, Virginia. (See: Fothergill's WILLS OF WESTMORELAND COUNTY, VIRGINIA 1654-1800.) He named his wife, Sarah, to receive land and other estate during widowhood; daughter Sarah Hutcheson was named; a son named John to receive land upon which William Hutcheson lives; son Evan the home plantation; two daughters, Mary and Grace Price and the two sons the residue of the estate.

I suspect but cannot yet definitively prove, that William Hutchison's (born 1715 and variously mentioned as: Hutchison, Hutcherson, Hutchinson, Hutcheson) wife, Sarah, may have been the daughter of Evan Price, mentioned above as "Sarah Hutcheson." This claim, however, is mere speculation at this juncture. At least, that is a line of research which I am now investigating since William Hutchison, born 1715, was known to have married a woman with the given name of Sarah.

Posted: 9 Oct 2010 7:32PM GMT
Evan Price was deeded land in Loudoun in 1761, 280 acres of a tract he and John and Robert Popkins had purchased from Josiah Clapham. (Josiah Clapham was Joseph Hutchison's commanding officer during the Revolutionary War. I, Francis Keenan, retrieved these records from NARA.) At the same time, John Popkins was deeded 141 acres and Robert Popkins another 141 acres of the same tract.

Joseph Hutchison and John Popkins were witnesses on the will of Peter Romine written in 1787. This information was what had led me to speculate that Joseph Hutchison's (1756-1842) mother may have been a Romine.

Since Evan Price and William Hutchison appeared in Loudoun County about the same time and within a few years after the death of the Evan Price in Westmoreland County, VA, it may be that William and Sarah came from Westmoreland County. Joseph Hutchison, if born in 1756, was born before Loudoun was formed from Fairfax County in 1757. If William Hutchison, father of Joseph, came from Westmoreland County, he may have been the son of Andrew Hutchison who came to Fairfax County in the mid 1740's.

Posted: 10 Oct 2010 10:57AM GMT
Several family trees (which are unsourced and not documented thereby not reliable sources)at Ancestry.com report that Peter Romine's daughter, Sarah (born abt. 1756), married a man with the surname ... WEST. If this information is credible, it was likely that this Sarah was NOT the wife of William Hutchison (born 1715)as he was much older than this Sarah and because there are reports that this Sarah Romine had married another. For proof that Peter Romine had a daughter named Sarah, see:

Source: Combs &c. Families of Loudoun Co, VA (1776-1799)

Loudoun County Virginia Will Book C., pp 335-337.

In the name of God Amen. I PETTER ROMINE of the County of Loudoun Farmer being weake in body and of perfect mind and memory thanks be given unto God calling to mind the Mortality of my Body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die do make and ordain this my last Will and Testament that is to say principally and first of all I give and recommend my soul into the hand of Almighty God that gave it and my body I recomend to the earth to be buried in desent Christian Burial at the discretion of my Executors. . . and as touching such worldly estate wherewith it has pleased God to bless me in this I give and demise and dispose of the same in the following manner and form First I give and bequeath to ABIGAIL my dearly beloved Wife the House and plantation whereon I now lives during her Widohood also I give and devise unto my Son JOHN fifty acres of land liing joining Powel lot also I give and devise unto my Son PETER Two hundred acres of land whereon he now lives also I gives and devise unto my son ISAACK the house and plantation whereon my Widdow now liveth at her deceise during his neterall life in case he dieth without a lawfull heire of his Body and if the said ISAACK dieth without an heire the said plantation is to be sold and the Money equaly devided between JOHN & PETER and SARAH.

Also I give and devise unto my Daughter SERAH and the Heirs of her Body fifty acres of land where WILLIAM REED now liveth lying on the Creek and joining BENJAMIN OVERFIELD and my movable estate I order to be sold in order to pay my lawful debts and my funeral charges and the remainder to be equaly divided between JOHN. PETER and SERAH also JOHN & PETER ROMINE whom I constitute make and ordain my only and sole Executors of this my last Will and Testament and I do hereby uterly dialow revoke . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and Seal this 20th day of February 1787.
John POPKINS, PETER ROMINE, Joseph HUTCHISON, Stephen SHIPMAN

At a Court held for Loudoun County April 14th 1788 This Will was proved by the oath of Stephen SHIPMAN and on the 16th day of the same month the same was fully proved by the oath of John POPKINS and ordered to be recorded and on the motion of PETER ROMINE and JOHN ROMINE. Executors therein named who made oath Certificate is granted them for obtaining a probate thereof in due form giving security Whereupon they with JOSEPH WEST and JOSEPH HUTCHISON their Securities entered into and acknowledged their Bond in the Penalty of Two hundred pounds Conditioned as the Law directs.

Source: Will Abstracts of Loudoun County Virginia 1772-1782, Ruth & Sam Sporacio, 1988

Posted: 23 Dec 2010 11:31PM GMT
Surnames: Dodson Drane Hall Hoskinson Hudson McGuffin
HUDSON: CENSUS: 1840 Breckinridge Co, KY - Joseph HUDSON - 2 males under 5; 2 males
20-30; 1 male 80-90 and l female 5-10; 1 female 10-15; 2 females 30-40; 1
female 40-50; l female 80-90.

MAP: Leesburg is in Loudoun Co. VA and the county seat with the Thomas Balch
Library for genealogy. Leesburg was previously named Georgetown in honor of
King George II of England. Later named Leesburg because the signer of the
Declaration of Independence and several members of the Lee family lived nearby.
The Hoskinsons lived in the area; were two Josiah's in the tax list; also a
Thomas Hoskinson and story about them from Gertrude Fletchall.

BIO: Joseph Hutchison- Hudson (name changed to Hudson). The man who founded
the town of Hudson, Kentucky was born to William and Sarah Hutchison in 1754
in Loudoun County, Virginia. He was married to Susannah Dodson in Loudoun
County, Virginia and had two little daughters by her. He was the Sheriff of
Loudoun County, Virginia. He served in the American Revolution in 1777 in the
Virginia Militia and saw service under Capt. Alexander McNickin, Major George
WEST, Col. Josiah Clepham and General Dark. He was in action in the battles
at Brandywine and Germantown and then was discharged. He was drafted again in
1781 by Col. Francis Peyton but was excused from service by recruiting five
men to serve in his place. Throughout the years of 1780 and 1781 he collected
beef, wheat and clothing for the Army.
On March l, 1799, Joseph Hutchison received two Land Grants from the State
of Virginia. One was for 620 acres on Simpson Creek in Nelson County,
Kentucky , and another 560 acres on Jack Creek in Nelson County, Kentucky.
This record can be found in the Kentucky Historical Society, Vol 12, Surveys
2925 and 2926.
Joseph Hutchison's wife, Susannah, died in Virginia. He then came West
with his children to Bourbon County where he married Hannah Hall on May 21,
1798. She was 25 years of age and he was 44. He and Hannah raised a large
family whose names were; Esquire Hines, Sam Jefferson, Theopolis Hall,
Elizabeth, John, James, Nance and others. The spelling of the name was
changed to HUDSON after he moved into Breckenridge County. The Hudson Family
believed in the younger generation living with the older generation and caring
for their elders. Joseph's son, Esquire Hines Hudson and his wife, Ramma
lived in the house with Joseph and Hannah as did Esquire's son Joseph and his
wife Margaret HOSKINSON. My mother, Wilma Drane, remembered going to visit her
great grandfather, Joseph HUDSON, when she was a little girl. He died when
she was 10 years old. My Mother was related to him through her grandmother,
Margaret HUDSON McGuffine. I, the writer, am descended through Joseph's son,
Esquire Hines, through his son, Joseph, through his daughter, Margaret who
married Dr. Thomas McGuffin of Constantine, through their daughter, Pearl, who
married William Robert Drane, through their daughter, Wilma, who married my
father, Stephen Steimer of Pennsylvania. Written by Mrs. Theodore John
Kreatschman, nee Doris Jean Steimer, Grandaughter of William R. Drane.

PENSION PAPERS
Burns, Annie Walker, [View Hits] [View Image]
Abstracts of pension papers, Revolutionary War, and 1812 War soldiers who settled in Hardin County, Ky. (Elizabethtown, Kentucky)
Washington, D.C.: unknown, 1930, 102 pgs.

page 2 AVERY: Samuel Sr the V is hard to read as this is a dirty typewriter. Pension 30838 VA CONTINENTAL more about the march
page 2 Affidavit of Joseph HUTCHISON says that before the commencement of the Revolutionary War, he resided in Loudon Co, VA and was well acquainted with the soldier he served one 3 months tour in the North with me in the year 1777 and when he returned, he enlisted in the army as I understood for and during the war and starteed out in the army and was gone as he believe more than three years, when he returned which I think was after the war was over. He had on his regimentals. I have been acquainted with him any years in Loudon Co Virginia after that time and in this state about twenty years.

Posted: 24 Dec 2010 11:27AM GMT
The first born to Hanna and Joseph was Deborah. The information you have posted was known to me and published in my book, Joshua Shelby: Ancestors and Descendants. See my message dated 29 Nov. 2002 on the Shelby surname message board at Ancestry.com, msg title ... Proof of Paternity.

Are you related to the Hoskinson lineage or to the Hutchisons?

Francis

Posted: 25 Dec 2010 10:35PM GMT
My husband descends from Josiah Hoskinson b 1764 Maryland.

Posted: 26 Dec 2010 1:04AM GMT
Thank you for the prompt reply to my question. I have been in contact with a lady from Arizona who also descends from the Hoskinsons in Breckinridge County, Kentucky. She is engaged in research concerning this Hoskinson lineage. If you wish, I shall be happy to forward her postal address. She only uses the computer at the library. She has connected the Hudson/Hoskinson to more Hoskinsons in neighboring Hardin County, Kentucky.

Posted: 26 Dec 2010 11:07PM GMT
Have contact. Thank you!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic