Search for content in message boards

McLaren family in Demerara, Guyana.

McLaren family in Demerara, Guyana.

Posted: 1 Jul 2010 9:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McLaren, McAlpin
Peter married to Helen McAlpin, had son John born around 1862, Peter listed as a Sugar Planter.

Any idea what a Sugar Planter actually is, labourer, foreman,owner ?
Also I can't trace anything about this family or their history in Guyana.
My info is from John's records as he came to Scotland to get married and and died here.

Thanks

Gordon

Re: McLaren family in Demerara, Guyana.

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 7:23PM GMT
Surnames: McLaren
Hi, my 3rd great grandfather Alexander McLaren was in Demerara from about 1820 to 1850 before returning to Scotland. He owned 2 sugar plantations called La Bonne Intention and Zeeburg. He has several children, including Peter born in 1837. I dont know Peter's wife. He had at least 2 cildren born in Demerara but we believe he eventually he moved back to Scotland. I've no idea if these are the same people, but there arent too many Peter McLarens around.

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 7:33PM GMT
Hello,

Feel we may well be talking about same family.
Did Peter have a middle name ?
I have name of a potential wife, Helen McAlpin(e)
Son John Alexander McLaren, born in Demerara, who was married to an Elizabeth Edwards.

Does any of this tally with your info

Regards

Gordon

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 10:42PM GMT
HI Gordon
I have Alexander (1806-1870) and Fatima Pan (or Parr) with 6 children. Peter (born 1837), Mary (born 1841) John Patrick born 1843, Alexander Duff born 1847, Annie born 1849, Isabella born 1854. All children were born in Demerara but all except John Patrick were sent to Scotland for their education. Mary, Alexander, Annie, and Isabella stayed in Scotland. John Patrick lived for a time in Demerara and eventually returned to Scotland with wife and children. I have reason to believe that Peter may have married and had 2 children in Demerara but nothing definite. I don't have a middle name for him, but that doesnt mean there isnt one.
Most of them lived in Greenock or Glasgow.
Cathy

Posted: 29 Jun 2013 5:52PM GMT
Hello Cathy,

Seems like our line of McLaren may originate from Peter.
I have a middle name of Watson for him. Does that name have any meaning for you ?

I feel more info on Peter is needed to complete the connection. I only know that he was deceased by 1844 as indicated on his son John's marriage certificate.

I believe I have a photo of John which I'll find and send through, perhaps this may show a resemblance to any McLaren photo's you may have.

Regards

Gordon

Posted: 29 Jun 2013 9:09PM GMT
This is so interesting. Are you sure he was deceased in 1844 as my Peter was born in 1837. Didnt you say his son was born in 1862?
A man named Peter Miller Watson was the co-owner of the Plantation called Zeeburg with Alexander McLaren, so that would make a definite fit. This Peter Watson was a slaver, plantation owner, and sugar exporter.

My Great Great Great Grandfather Alexander Mclaren was born in Killin, Scotland, but went as a teenager to Demerara to make his fortune. He started out working on plantations for other but eventually owned two. He was married twice, first to Anne Lockett and had one child. Ann died in childbirth and we dont know anything about her. His second wife Fatima was said to be a free black woman, (at least at the time they married) and may have come from Jamaica. Therefor the children were half black. Alexander moved back to Scotland around age 50 and purchased two estates. John Patrick and Fatima stayed in Demerara to look after the estates there and they shipped sugar to Scotland. Doanld stayed in Scotland and was a ship captain. Mary married a doctor called John Coppleston Baker and they lived in Liverpool. Isabella married a Mr Smith and eventually their family moved to Australia. Annie married a lawyer named Alexander Philip and they moved to Canada. Annie is my ancestor. I am going to email you a few photos, one of Alexander, one of Fatima, one of Annie and one of Mary. Annie and Mary would be sisters to Peter. Did your Peter look like he may be part black? The one of Alexander Baker would be a first cousin to your John. (if this is the right family)
Cathy
Attachments:

Posted: 2 Jul 2013 9:13PM GMT
Hello Again,

My apologies, typing error, should be 1884 not 1844.

The photograph is of my wife Elaine's Gran, Helen Aird nee McLaren along with her Father who is John Alexander McLaren, son of Peter Watson McLaren.
Any family resemblances ?
Helen was certainly of mixed race.

Gordon

Posted: 2 Jul 2013 9:15PM GMT
Hello Again,

My apologies, typing error, should be 1884 not 1844.

The photograph is of my wife Elaine's Gran, Helen Aird nee McLaren along with her Father who is John Alexander McLaren, son of Peter Watson McLaren.
Any family resemblances ?
Helen was certainly of mixed race.

Gordon

Posted: 3 Jul 2013 7:25PM GMT
Hello Gordon
there doesnt seem to be a picture attached. Perhaps you could send it to my regular email at cathy@lorneoss.com

I am convinced this is the same family. The name Watson fits, and the name John Alexander fits because Peter had a brother named John and his father was Alexander. Did Peter have siblings? I have lots of McLaren information I can send you if you are interested.

Which country did John Alexander end up in? I gather you are not in Scotland?

Cathy

Posted: 15 Jul 2013 3:05PM GMT
Peter Miller Watson McLaren, born 1836; died 27 Jan 1872 at Plantation Zeeburg, British Guiana, testate. [Scottish People Wills]

Peter Miller Watson McLaren, Planter, "Native Creole, Coloured," died 27 Jan 1872 at Zeeburg, aged 35, of "Phthisis Hydrops Pericardi". Informant was "WB Fitzallen, Overseer, Pln Zeeburg". [BG death cert]

Peter Miller Watson McLaren was a son of Alexander McLaren of Lephenstrath and Fatima Parr. He was named after his father's friend and business partner in Demerara, Peter Miller Watson [who was probably a 'godparent'].
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions