Search for content in message boards

why would someone remove a tree?

why would someone remove a tree?

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 3:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Jan 2013 3:48PM GMT
Surnames: colbath
Why would someone take down (or privatize??) a family tree? There was a huge Colbath family tree and one day I tried to find and access it again and it's no longer up. I get this message: Database colbath doesn't exist or has not been configured

That's what I get for not saving it when I should have. *sigh*

Re: why would someone remove a tree?

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 10:53PM GMT
I can't speak for everyone, but I've deleted older versions of trees after uploading a new one. I see no reason to clog up the servers with redundant and out of date information.

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 2:37PM GMT
A couple of possible reasons: 1. Some folks are getting fed up with Ancestry and moving elsewhere, and taking their 'trees' with them. They aren't particularly eager to provide free content for Ancestry to use in helping market its product. 2. Other folks are staying with Ancestry but making their 'trees' private because they are fed up with raiders who lift their content, often using it incorrectly, without ever bothering to say thanks or to engage in collaboration and exchange of ideas.

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 2:31PM GMT
Thanks. I haven't been able to find the same family tree. Before it disappeared, I tried to contact the person with information but the email address didn't work anymore.

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 2:46PM GMT
Thanks. It was on rootsweb, but that is owned by ancestry.
I added a post-em note to the tree as I couldn't contact the person - the email address no longer worked. Maybe someone didn't like what I posted?? I don't know. I was not contacted.
It was a very detailed tree going all the way back to Ireland. It was a real treasure to find because my mother never knew her father or anything about his side. Only had a very small amount of info to go on to find out who he was, which she finally did. And apparently he was married to another woman at the time back in his home state - this was back in 1945. She was lucky enough to end up making contact with a relative online through one of her queries and was emailed a few pictures. You can definitely see the family resemblance.

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 2:52PM GMT
There are several reasons why a person would delete or "privatize" a tree.

For example, other than the reasons stated earlier, one may have recently discovered that significant portions of the tree are inaccurate and wish not to publish until they can sort it all out. Another reason may be that the tree to which you were linked was deleted and replaced with a newer, more accurate version. Lastly, that person, for whatever reason, decicded to delete their ACOM account altogether.

There are probably as many reasons as one can imagine. Just be imaginative and you may come up with a few of your own. Those would be just as valid as anyone else's.

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 4:57PM GMT
I made mine private when it became clear to me that there are unresolved issues on my tree which I don't want people blindly copying.

Other people make their tree private when they get tired of people taking the info they've worked hard to find without even saying thank you.

Some people might become disillusioned ACOM altogether or found another site they prefer to host their data and therefore no longer want their data here.

The owner may have died and their family members didn't want the account/data to remain on ACOM.

There are probably many more possibilities.

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 3:37AM GMT
I can only speak for myself. I just made my tree private last night due to I had tons of people were just random using all the hard word that I have done on my tree to link to random people in their tree a lot of their information was even linked wrong just because someone had the same last name it does not make it the ancestor you are looking for.

I feel bad for doing this.. but I work really hard with verifying all of my facts and not just blindly linking people just because a Leaf appeared. I also have a lot of photos and family history I would love to share but not for the people that just want to fill up there tree with my hardwork.

At least a thank you or hey do you mind if I use this information..
per page

Find a board about a specific topic