Search for content in message boards

Peter Wright, 1740-1821

Peter Wright, 1740-1821

Posted: 18 Nov 2007 6:09PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Wright
I'm trying to find the parents of Peter Wright, born 9 Jul 1740 in Hempstead, Long Island, NY, died 7 Jun 1821 in Shaftsbury, VT. He married Elizabeth Baker 9 Jan 1761 in Hempstead. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Peter Wright, 1740-1821

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 4:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wright, Seaman
You might consider Joseph Wright, son of Adam, grandson of 'founder Peter', who married second: Temperance Seaman, widow of Arthur Kirk. Temperance was apparently pregnant when Joseph wrote his will/ died as the will supposedly makes provision for the expected child.
This may well be Peter Wright, b. 1740, who named one of his sons Seaman, perhaps after his mother's family, and had other sons named Joseph and Peter.

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 10:25PM GMT
You might be on to something here. The "Seaman" and "Joseph" names are a logical fit, as is the Hempstead, Long Island, connection - Peter Wright was born there. The date we have for Peter's birth - July 9, 1740 - seems a little off, but it could be 1) simply wrong or 2) it might be that one of the dates we're looking at is 'old style' or Julian rather than 'new style' or Gregorian - apparently both styles were in use in the colonies until 1750. Thanks very much for the insight.

Posted: 3 Feb 2010 10:31PM GMT
Surnames: Wright, Seaman
Although I have been searching for this Wright line for a relatively short time, it seems as though all online references lean back on research done in the 1800s-early 1900s, often with the comment 'the Oyster Bay Wrights seem to be thoroughly researched'. I guess that always raises a red flag to me. I understand family historians from a century ago had access to information no longer available, but since that time, some new materials have come to light.
It seems logical to me that a Wright family about ten miles away from the 'immigrant Peter Wright' home in Oyster Bay would be connected in some manner - especially given the common male names in the families. I'd love to see a copy of Joseph Wright's will, as I only have abstracts to lean on, mentioning that his second wife was expecting when he wrote the will. The elder Wrights had been Quakers, while Peter Wright and his sons were surely not, as they had marked roles in the Revolution, so perhaps some religious differences led to a 'dropping' of the Peter-1740 line from Oyster Bay references?
I'm still looking....

Posted: 13 May 2010 10:39PM GMT
Surnames: Wright, Baker, Seaman
Let me throw in another wrinkle:
Online reports of the gravestones for Peter and Elizabeth Baker Wright, in Shaftsbury, VT, indicate a death date of 1821 for Peter and 1819 for Elizabeth, with their ages given specific to months and days, as was common at that time.

It seems to me that there is a mix-up here, as Peter could not have died in 1821 as he was not recorded in the 1820 Census - his widow Elizabeth was. The enumeration date for the 1820 Census was 7 August, 1820. If the Bennington County census taker recorded his data correctly, that would mean that Peter Wright died before that date, and Elizabeth lived past that date. Even if the census taker recorded who was in residence on the actual date he visited the Wright home, his return would indicate Elizabeth outlived her husband.

Taken even further: if the name and specific age of each Wright is correct on the gravestone, but the death dates have been reversed between the spouses, that would mean that Peter Wright, aged 80 - 1 - 2, who (may have) died on 16 August, 1819, would have been born on 14 July, 1739.... which puts his birth well within the reported pregnancy of Temperance Seaman Wright, second wife of Joseph Wright.

I know, so many 'ifs', but the census data for 1820 would seem to indicate that the death dates given on the Wright graves are not correct.

I'd welcome more analysis - or better yet, information.
dresj@comcast.net

Posted: 9 Jul 2010 7:06PM GMT
Surnames: Wright, Baker
And here is another nail in the coffin of a 1740 birth year for Peter Wright:
- the listing of property owners in North Kingstown, Rhode Island, levied on the residents on 3 August, 1760, includes Peter Wright. As he was recorded as one who 'signed the covenant' of the Six Principal Baptist Church in North Kingstown in 1769 and again in 1776, and the children who were born in Rhode Island were included in the books of that church, we know he lived there. He was also captain of the town militia during the early years of the Revolution, before moving to Shaftsbury, VT, in 1778.

As men had to be age 21 before they could own land, this would make Peter Wright's birth some time before August, 1739.

In looking for the family of Elizabeth Baker, Peter's wife, I note that two Bakers are also on the 1760 list: Joseph and Jeremiah, jr.

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 12:01AM GMT
Surnames: Wright
I am in the process of cementing our descent from Peter Wright through his son Daniel and grandson Luther G. From what I have found so far I don't think there is any doubt of our relationship and it is only additional documentation that is being searched for. My brother has done a Y-DNA test on Family Tree DNA as part of the Wright DNA project. You may know that the Y-DNA for males follows the male family name and through this test men with the same last name can have their descent lines distinguished from each other. My brother's test confirms that we have no relationship to the Oyster Bay Wrights. You can see the results on http://www.wright-dna.org/dna/R1b1Results.html My brother's test is 235938 in the 'hot pink' section.The Oyster Bay Wrights are thought to be in the 'brown' section tests 20791 through 255845. I would love it if more Wright men would test!

Posted: 16 Mar 2013 12:17AM GMT
Surnames: WRIGHT
To DEWright12,

I noticed your comment about the Oyster Bay Wrights being in the brown section of the Wright DNA Project. Although there is one participant in that group who listed 1749 Anthony Wright as an ancestor, I have my doubts about that identification and my communications with that person indicate that the connection is not documented with certainty.

So it is very possible that the pink section with your brother's Y-DNA sequence is the correct one for the Oyster Bay Wrights.

I think further research, documentation, and Y-DNA sequencing will be necessary before we will be sure what the Y-DNA sequence is for the Oyster Bay Wrights.

Interestingly, a descendant of 1767 Richard Wright of Prince William County, VA, who was probably a son of 1700 Richard Wright of Stafford County, VA, is also in your pink group. No documentation of the parents of 1700 Richard Wright of Stafford County, VA, has as yet been found and this Y-DNA matching, if confirmed as tied to the Oyster Bay Wrights, may solve 1700 Richard Wright's ancestry as well as 1821 Peter Wright's ancestry.

Best wishes,

Robert N. Grant
15 Campo Bello Court
Menlo Park, CA 94025
RNGrant@grantandgordon.com

Posted: 25 Aug 2013 3:45AM GMT

Re: Peter Wright, 1740-1821?

Posted: 22 Nov 2013 7:22PM GMT
Surnames: Wright, Baker
Recent correspondence with a Peter Wright descendant indicates that family members created a fund to maintain the graves of Peter and his wife, Elizabeth Baker Wright, in the West Shaftsbury Cemetery, Shaftsbury,VT.

I am sorry to report that such maintenance has not been done. The cemetery itself is unmarked and completely overgrown with trees, tall bushes, and shoulder-height weeds. A weed cutter is needed to make way into the small cemetery, and every couple of steps one nearly trips over gravestone remnants. According to town records, sixty people are buried in this small cemetery, although I suspect some of the graves along the edges have had their markers removed and the graves have been absorbed by the surrounding farm fields.

It is a shame to have this neglect continue. Peter and Elizabeth's gravestones, probably erected when their remains were transferred from their homestead to this nearby cemetery, still survive whole and easily readable, but only if the weeds and brambles are cut away. That, of course, will only last for a season.

I will also note here that the birth and marriage dates for Peter Wright have not been found. Those supposedly recorded in the church on Long Island cannot be found. The records have been transcribed online, but do not include any records for Peter, his parents, or Elizabeth Baker and her family. It is likely that Peter and Elizabeth married in North Kingstown, RI. I suspect that Peter was, indeed, born on Long Island, but the place and date are as yet unknown.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions