Search for content in message boards

Townships in Yell, Arkansas

Posted: 27 Sep 2006 2:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Walker, Jarnagan, Barnett, Albright
I am searching the 1870 census data sheets online and looking for my family. When I found them in 1880 and onward they were in Gravelly in Yell, Arkansas, can anyone tell me which of these townships would be closest to Gravelly Arkansas - I have already gone through Dardanelle, Lower La Fave, and Upper Lafave. Appreciate any info.

1870 Census

Chickalah
Crawford
Dardanelle
Delaware
Dutch Creek
Gally Rock
Lower La Fave
Magazine
Mountain
Riley
Rover
Spring Creek
Upper Lafave
Ward

Darlene

Re: Townships in Yell, Arkansas

Posted: 30 Sep 2006 2:53PM GMT
On this link is a map of Yell County. Your town is in the lower left.

http://www.hearthstonelegacy.com/yell.htm

Joe George (View posts)
Posted: 30 Sep 2006 3:40PM GMT
I don't think the CDs available from that company show the politcal townships used in the census. I have only been able to find one publication that shows the townships. It is an atlas of townships of the United States published in 1970. I don't remember the exact name, but it your library has it you will be able to find it. I used the photo copy machine at our library to make copys of the four pages of Arkansas townships as of 1970. They are pretty poor, but they do show those townships. As far as I can tell the townships have not moved. Some of them have been broken into more than one township since they were established. The maps don't show many towns so you will need to consult another map to place the towns. If anyone wants copies of the four pages e-mail me.

Posted: 30 Sep 2006 6:00PM GMT
Thank you so much, that page really helped me.
Darlene

Posted: 1 Oct 2006 2:12AM GMT
Edited: 12 Nov 2006 3:30AM GMT
Surnames: Manes, Austin, Nunley, Batchelor, Watkins
I would like a copy of the 4 pages mentioned in your post.
By the way, are you related to Ida Hankins George? She was the wife of Jackson Marion George.

Thanks,
Judy

Posted: 1 Oct 2006 3:28AM GMT
I would like copies of the Yell townships, thank you
Darlene

Posted: 21 Feb 2007 6:41AM GMT
Surnames: JARNAGIN ROGERS JAMES INMAN
Hi Darlene,

I think we haved corresponded before but I forget. Are you related to my Jarnagins? My GG Grandparents were John Porter and Sarah Elizabeth Rogers Jarnagin. Porter's GG Grandparents were John and Mary Smith Jarnagin. John was Capt Thomas's Brother.

John Porter and Sarah Elizabeth were residents of Yell County. Porter loved it there. Now in our family, we haven't been able to locate Porter's grave. This has been something that various members of the Jarnagin line of my family has been interested in doing.

We don't live back there in ARK though. Is there a list of the main cemeteries? I was told once though that one of the cemeteries there was so neglected and vandalized meaning that many of the headstones were broken, that it would be next to impossible to identify where someone was buried.

Regards,
Debbie

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 3:30AM GMT
Do you know the parents of Marion Jackson George?

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 5:18AM GMT
Sorry I do not have any George names in my tree.
Darlene

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 5:40AM GMT
I'm sorry to be so slow in responding to your request. I have been really busy and forgot about this. I see that my name is associated to my old address. So email me at jgeorge1@suddenlink.net for a copy of the township map.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions