Search for content in message boards

Portuguese of Br. Guiana

Portuguese of Br. Guiana

Jennifer Sanchez (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nunes, de Franca Mendes
I forgot to add a few more details that would aid in identifying my father, Jose Nunes. He was married 3 times - the first was around 1907 to a Gomes, then around 1930 to Ivy Cabral who died in 1940 and finally to my mother, Elva D'Oliveira, who was also from British Guiana. I remember a sister of my father called Nelly Reis who had a grand-daughter called Patsy. Patsy married a Ferreira and immigrated to Canada when her husband died tragically in Guyana around 1959.

Re: Portuguese of Br. Guiana

Posted: 15 Jan 2003 10:57AM GMT
i was very curious when i read your email today . I was looking to get information on my grandparents the were from british guiana too . The last name is Reis . My grand father name was leon and mother was hursuela i think she was a twin .I don't know where to begin looking for info . Any tips will appreciate . Thanks

Posted: 2 Jul 2003 12:43AM GMT
Hello
When i saw the name Nunes i wanted to reply.
The greatgrandmother of my husband is also named Nunes.
Christina Louisa Nunes, born:4 July 1883, Georgetown,Brits Guyana.
She was marries to Matthias Lie Hap Po, born 27 June 1879 in Paramaribo, Suriname, and died: 28 July 1918.
The mother of Christina Nunes is : Joaquine de Freytas, and her father is Antonio Nunes.
Do these names say anything to you?

With best regards
nancy van Dijk

jenny Sanchez (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jul 2003 1:15AM GMT
Hi Nancy,

I don't think there's any connection as my grandmother, Luisa de Franca Mendes was born in 1859. She married my grandfather Joaquin Nunes, who was born in Madeira. He had only 1 brother who was also born in Madeira. They came to Guyana and never returned to Madeira. I don't know the name of his brother but I do know that his brother had one son called Ernesto so I don't think there could be a connection.

Angela (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2003 7:13PM GMT
Surnames: Loundes/Lounds
Sorry the name I am researching is Loundes/Lounds

Angela (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2003 7:16PM GMT
I think you are responding to the wrong person

Posted: 14 Jul 2003 7:28PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jul 2004 2:21PM GMT
Surnames: Sancho, Sanchez, Sanchey, Sankey
I am researching the surnames Sancho Sanchez, Sanchey, Sankey and other similar names. I understand my fore parents three of them Bentick, John and Lambert Tuckness Sancho, arrived in Guyana, around 1843. Now there are references in the Sancho family that they may have used the surname Sanchez, and or similar names.
I would like to know whether you have encountered references to those folks during your research?
Where, and how can I access the employee records of Enmore Estate during the 19th. Century?
Where would the records of the immigrants of the 19th. century Guyana be kept and accessed?

Reis (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jan 2004 9:37PM GMT
Surnames: Reis
Christine, we seem to have the same grand parents. My father (eldest son of 10 children) is Leon Reis, the same name as his father. His mother was Ursela. They both died when my dad was around 15. His siblings are Leila Chabrol, Joe Reis, Edward Reis, Patrick Reis, Bernie Reis, Faye Reis, Joan Reis, O' Neil Reis and Juneann Reis. All born in Bvee, Guyana. Their heritage is Portuges from Madeira. It truly sounds like was are related. Michelle

Michele Mew (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2006 11:12PM GMT
Surnames: Cabral, Fernandes (elsa & Ivy) British Guiana
Hi Jennifer,
My g'aunt was Ivy Cabral who was previously married to your father. Ivy died young from liver/kidney problems. My grandmother (Ivy's sister) was Elsa Fernandes (nee cabral) Elsa was an Opera singer and she passed away in Canada in 1982. Unfortunately I know little else about your father. Any photographs of Ivy and your father that my grandmother may have had were lost in a fire that burnt down my grandmother's Guyana home (house above DM Fernandes Ltd). Do you have any photos of Ivy and your father's wedding?

Posted: 21 Aug 2007 3:13PM GMT
Surnames: Cabral
Jenny,
My name is Daphne Ferreira Cabral. My father is John Ferreira Cabral born Aug 4, 1913 in Vergamageon, British Guiana. My grandfather was Antonio Ferreira Cabral on Nov 16, 1879 in Funchal, Madeira. Are you related or familiar with these people. Please reply by email to my new email address.
Daphfish@bellsouth.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions