Search for content in message boards

Removing an unwanted Family Tree from Ancestry Home page

Removing an unwanted Family Tree from Ancestry Home page

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 5:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a family tree which appears on the Ancestry.co.uk Home page under the My Trees section. It also appears, with all the branches, on the Ancestry app front page on my Nexus tablet.

It's not a tree that I want any longer but I don't know how to remove it ! Help please.

Thanks

Re: Removing an unwanted Family Tree from Ancestry Home page

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 6:16PM GMT
If it is a tree you created and you want to delete it, hover your mouse over "Family Trees" then select "more" when it appears in the list that drops down.

Find the tree you want to delete in the next list that appears and then click on "manage tree" under the name of that tree.

At the bottom right of the next page that appears, is the option to "Delete your tree."

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 7:57PM GMT
Thanks but it is not a tree I created. It belongs to an Ancestry member and my status is down as Guest and I seem to have no control over it ! I've gone all over the place to find some way to delete it but no success.

I can't remember how it got onto my Home page in the first place. It has been no problem until now but I have just started to use a tablet and this tree has taken over the whole app.

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 8:08PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jan 2013 8:11PM GMT
Either hover over the family tree drop down, and click "more," or just click on the family tree drop down. On the next screen click the tab that says "trees shared with me." Click the red x to the far right of the tree you wish to remove from the list.

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 9:42PM GMT
I must be in the wrong place as the Family Tree drop down ( Home page, green bar across the top of the page, just under the Ancestry.com logo and my username, Upgrade button and Get Help button, buttons read Home, Family Trees, Search, DNA, Collaborate etc)only gives me these 3 options:

Birkinshaw/Young/Blamey tree (= the one I want rid of)
Start a New Tree
Upload a GEDCOM

When I click on the name of the tree I get it all displayed.
No red Xs that I can see.

Thanks

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 10:16PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jan 2013 10:18PM GMT
If you are trying to do this from the app, that may be the problem. I have seen comments that it does not have all the functionality of the web site (I tried it briefly and ended up uninstalling because I found it clunky and cluttered, although others like it). If you have easy access to a regular PC, I would suggest logging in and trying the same thing recommended above. I used that approach to remove some large trees that were shared with me because of a limited mutual interest, after I got tired of getting the constant update messages about things that were unrelated to my interests.

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 8:54AM GMT
I've tried deleting it from both the PC and the app but can't get it to go from either. The sticking point seems to be that the tab "Family Trees" on the top of my (PC) Ancestry Home page does not give the same drop down menu as per the instructions above.

I've not done anything with the app so far as I can't export my family tree( kept on my PC using the Family Tree Maker program) to the app and also want to remove the wretched interloper tree first as it gets in the way !

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 2:37PM GMT
Make sure you are using a web browser (either Internet Explorer, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc.), and not an "applet" (app) that will run on iPads, Smartphones and other tablets.

If you must use a smartphone or tablet, access Ancestry using the devices web browser, not the app.

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 3:54PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jan 2013 3:58PM GMT
If you don't see "more" as an option under "family trees," all I can think is that maybe the UK home page is different from the US one (I think all of us who have responded are in the US). If doing this with a browser through the web site does not work, I would suggest calling tech support and asking.

I don't know how you avoid the app once you have installed it, however, because my recollection is that I tried to do that after installing the app on my laptop and realizing I didn't like it, but it would force me into the app even if I tried to access Ancestry through the browser (that's why I just uninstalled it when I saw I was not going to be happy about using it). If nothing else works, you could uninstall the app, do what you need to do, and then reinstall.

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 4:11PM GMT
Thanks very much. I'd not thought of the websites being different but think you could be right. I'll write to Ancestry.

I have the app on a Nexus 7 tablet and want to put my in-progress tree on it so that I can work when not at home. It only opens when I click on it so is no problem usually but, when I do open it, the wretched Birkenshaw/Blamey/Young tree is there, all over the opening page. It's not so obvious on the PC computer and I've been able to ignore it for years !

Many thanks to all; even if I've not solved the problem at least I'm, not left thinking that it is just me missing something !
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions