Search for content in message boards

Gamble & Stalford of Belfast

Gamble & Stalford of Belfast

Posted: 26 May 2007 12:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gamble
Hi,
Hoping to make contact with researchers of these Belfast families. The info I have is pieced together from letters dated in the late 1800's and BDM Registry of Victoria, Australia.

Robert GAMBLE marr. Agnes STALFORD in 1827 Belfast.
Children were Mary, Edward, William and Frederick. Agnes and the children migrated to Australia in 1850 on the Lucy. Nothing is known of Robert's life except that he was a clerk and may have had a brother David GAMBLE who died 24 June 1884. The parents of Robert and David are David GAMBLE and Mary HALFORD(poss STALFORD) These Gambles are reputed to be cousins of the baronet Gambles.

Agnes had a sister Margaret HARKNESS who had at least one son named Alexander and resided at 105 Shankhill Rd at least during 1884. Another sister Mary Jane Murray lived in Glasgow and had 7 sons one of whom was Edward and another Alexander who was an engineer on a steamer in China. Agnes had at least two brothers John and David STALFORD.

Eager for info, look forward to hearing from some of you.

Regards,
Lu

Re: Gamble & Stalford of Belfast

Posted: 19 Apr 2012 8:19PM GMT
Surnames: Gamble
Hi Lu,

I have a connection to your Gamble family. Please get in contact if you see this though I realise the post is a few years old. My great grandmother's sister married the son of the David Gamble in your post and i can help you out with your Gamble relatives.

Martin

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 2:06PM GMT
Hello Martin,

Tried to connect with you through rootschat too.

we have since realised that the letters were actually about the Gamble family and not the Stalfords. There was much confusion originally! I have not been able to find out anything about the parents of Margaret and her siblings or Agnes but a few pieces of the puzzle have revealed themselves I gather.

Look forward to your info.

Cheers,
Luann

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 4:52PM GMT
Early Stalfords maybe more difficult to find. My quick searches suggest it was a very rare name in Ireland, before 1863. By 1911 there are 27 entries for Stalford in the irish census. Some are living near Taughblane alsospelt Toughblane in the civil parish of Hillsborough. Its very close to the Maze area See Ros Davies below for a townland map and her church records., . I mention that if you start going back before 1843 as civil records weren’t around and it is church records that will interest you.

From Ros Davies
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/...

Alexander STALFORD junior & senior Hillsborough of Toughblane townland, charity donation 1836 V12 p106 OSM One or other is probably father of Elizabeth below
Thomas STALFORD . Blaris of Middle Maze , charity donation in 1836
{There is also a William Stalford, father of Samuel and Susanna, Samual probably the father of Samantha b 1857.}
{There is also a Joseph Stalford}
All four are listed in 1863 as living in Taughblane.see http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml This site may be of extra importance as the old homesteads may be marked on a Griffith map!.
there are more entries in Ros davies which I have removed for Rootsweb policy
please do look it up.
Try http://www.ancestryireland.com has more records

The earliest Stalford I could find in street directories was 1908 which seems strange eg
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk gives Cluan Place 
off Mountpottinger Road
No 28. Stalford, Wm. H., labourer in
Try familysearch.com thoroughly
There are also burials recorded Belfast city council burials try Google
PRONI WEBSITE eg has under wills Letters of Administration of the personal estate of William John Stalford late of Lurganure County Antrim Labourer who died 25 February 1895 at same place were granted at Belfast to William Stalford of Lurganure Labourer the Son.
Sorry time has run out
Good luck, JimG
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions