Search for content in message boards

Homesteading Torrance Co. 1905

Homesteading Torrance Co. 1905

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 3:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Trying to find some info. My Great Aunt and Uncle went to the Estancia-Willard NM area in 1904-5 supposedly to homestead. They ended up staying about 4 years and upon my Great Aunt's death from Typhoid, my Uncle returned to Iowa. Would there have been homesteading records on where their land was? Or any other info. Thanks!

Re: Homesteading Torrance Co. 1905

Posted: 7 Mar 2012 3:53PM GMT
If they obtained a government homestead you can go here and search for the record. Most have images of the acutal patent loaded. If the mapping feature on the site is working,you can see where it was-otherwise you have to obtain a township and range map to find it.
http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/search/default.aspx#searchTabI...

Posted: 7 Mar 2012 6:24PM GMT
Wow, thank you soo much for that link...I found his name but as you said the mapping feature was not available. Also just wondering....this shows the info at the end of the 5 years. Would there be a place to find where he originally registered for the land or is it all combined into this document? Just wondering and thanks again so much!

Posted: 7 Mar 2012 7:15PM GMT
When you click on your name of interest, the "Patent Details" page tells you where he filed on the land-upper right under "miscellaneous details". They were to go to the "nearest land office", which most often was no where near the land itself! (We have one filed for in an eastern county, but the land was in the farthest south west corner)
The land had to be lived on and improved for five straight years for the patent to be issued-so he filed that many years before the document that you see. After the issue of the patent, he then would have had to register the land under his ownership with the county-must pay those taxes don't ya know, and from there the records exist in county files.
It is possible to obtain "the land entry file" from the National Archives-which has all the paperwork the person filled out to make his "claim" on the land; but I myself have never attempted to get one.

Posted: 7 Mar 2012 7:36PM GMT
Thats all very interesting. This is the first time we had any relatives homestead.
So if we want any further info., I would have to contact Torrance co.?
And the National Archives would have a website I'm sure. Will do some looking online.
Thanks so much for all your help and information! Family is just tickled to have found this!

Posted: 27 Mar 2012 11:52PM GMT
Janet, do you have any suggestions on a website to find the location of my Aunt and Uncles land. The mapping feature hasnt worked since we started this. Thanks.

Posted: 28 Mar 2012 1:51PM GMT
Well, you can either go to your local BLM office and purchase a township and range map OR:
Go here:
http://www.esg.montana.edu/gl/trs-data.html
Use the drop down menu to select NM; place the coordinates from the patent in the appropriate boxes and submit. BUT, sometimes this gives you a broad range of where the land is, and sometimes a more specific location--worth a shot.

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 5:14PM GMT
I did send for the entire land patent record from the BLM and was well worth the cost for the info we received. I have one more question... I have the township, range and section from the old records and have looked it up on a map online so know the location. But is there a way to get the modern day coordinates for the land and to find out what it is being used for and who owns it now? In the midwest we have plat books for the rural land but havent been able to find anything for New Mexico. Thanks.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 12:10AM GMT
Section,township and range will still be the same.
I would contact the Torrance county assessor
www.torrancecountynm.org
and inquire as to whether or not they will help you with present day occupancy of the land. Failing that, the nearest BLM office--but I can't tell you where THAT would be! Some counties have one and some do not.

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 8:15PM GMT
Thank you Janet! Will give it a try......
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions