Search for content in message boards

DOWDY

DOWDY

Michelle Roberts (View posts)
Posted: 13 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DOWDY
Looking for information on Dowdy family that lived in Currituck in the early 1800s.

Re: DOWDY

Posted: 7 Jul 2011 6:19PM GMT
Surnames: Dowdy / O'Dowdy
I am also looking for information on the Dowdy family line in Currituck County in the early 1800's there are many Dowdy's in the area. I see the earliest Dowdy's / O'Dowdy's are from a juryman list in the early 1700's. Also, Currituck County in the 1600's was Albemare County of Virgina.

Source:
www.scislaw.com/genealogy/dowdy/.../Currituck_tax.html - Cached1723 JURY LIST William O'Dowdy Richard O'Dowdy Daniel O'Dowdy. 1740 JURY LIST ... James O'Dowdy 1. Daniel O'Dowdy 1. 1754

I am looking specifically looking for information on a Thomas Dowdy death: abt 1820 in Curritcuck County his son is Edmund or Edmond Dowdy.
Posted: 9 Jul 2011 10:56PM GMT
You are mixing up Albemarle Precinct of NC with Albemarle Co., VA. They are two completely different places, hundreds of miles apart.

NC was founded about 1653. In 1664, there were three counties erected in the entire colony of Carolina - Albemarle, Clarendon, and Craven. I won't go into detail about the changes but Currituck was eventually carved out of Albemarle.

From 1663 to 1696, there were only four "precincts" in the Albemarle region - Chowan, Currituck, Pasquotank, and Perquimans - all established in 1668.

Googling Albemarle Co., VA, it appears it was founded in 1744.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions