Search for content in message boards

My Bankstons

My Bankstons

Posted: 14 Nov 2000 11:41AM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2001 12:47AM GMT
Jacob and Elinor Cox, Jacob b. 1731 Philadelphia, Pa. died Clarke co 1814'
CHILDREN: John jr b 1754 Phil, Pa my Grandfater. Judith, Johns twin sister b 1754.
Elijah b 1756.
Elinor
Jacob Jr b 1706

JOHN Bankston Sr b 2754, married Henretta Coates. John was a Rev soldier as was some of his sons. I will only highlight Elizabeth b 1800 Married Willaim Robertson, ( They were my grandparents) Johns son Spencer M Bankstonb 1802 Married Lousia Watson), they were my grandparents.

Peter Bankston b 1779, Stood as best man at the wedding of my grandfather Robert M Cooper and Mildred Robertson, dau of Willaim Robertson.Spencers daughter Mary became my grandmother when she married R W Cooper, thier son Henry sidney Cooper became the father of my Mother. There are many Bankstons descended from John Bankston Sr, he is buried in Tangiapohia Parish. His son levi and Henry served in the war of 1812 as well as Young Bankston. The Bennett's and Bankstons and Robertsons are all linked with marriages which has made things somewhat more less complex to find them. There are an awful lot of cousins I do not know out there so if you are related to the Bankstons or Robertsons I listed, then I am open to be more into detail over all of this, always room for a new cousin. Ted D Jones Utica, Ms
jutica@vicksburg or jutica2@vicksburg.com

looking for info on Bankstons

larry Bankston (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2001 4:44PM GMT
read your message and thought it interesting. I'm looking for a henry Bankston and the date are about right. his son was James m. bankston and his Amos (alonzo) Bankston was my Grandfather. thanks for info.

Bankstons

Posted: 23 Feb 2001 3:50PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2001 12:47AM GMT
Larry,
Please contact me at jutica@vicksburg.com and we will try and get a hold on Henry,there are several of them. Time frame and dates if you have this. We will try and
find your Henry Bankston. Ted

Re: looking for info on Bankstons

Posted: 23 Aug 2001 3:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Aug 2001 12:34AM GMT
I'm looking for anyone that would have information on a Henry Bankston He had a son James marion Bankston that was married to willie Ann Henry and they had 12 kids PLease if anyone has in info please let me know.

Posted: 10 Mar 2006 8:16AM GMT
Dear Larry,

My name is Brian Peter, and I live in Madisonville, Louisiana. I saw a post that you made back in November, 2000 about the Bankston family on Rootsweb.com, in particular a father and three sons who served in the War of 1812.

John Bankston (1753-1823) was my GGGG Grandfather. He married Henrietta Coates and had twelve children: Levi, Cecelia, Henry, Lesley, Young, Peter, Simeon, Howell, Rebecca, John, Eliza, and Spencer. John Bankston fought in the Georgia Militia in the Revolution, and in the Louisiana Militia in the War of 1812. Levi, Henry, and Young also served in the War of 1812. All three belonged to the general Louisiana Militia, 2nd Division, 3rd Brigade, 13th Regiment. Henry Harrison Bankston died during the New Orleans campaign. He was not killed in the "big" Battle of New Orleans in 1815, but of illness shortly before (December 1814). According to the records that I have, he was buried at Fort Chalmette.

Spencer Bankston (25 December 1802 - 12 January 1886) was my GGG Grandfather. He married Louisa Watson in 1829 and had eight children: George W., Willis W., Alsenith, Mary E., Marshall G., Francis M., and Ivy Byron.

George Bankston served as a private in Company C (Lemmon Guards), 9th Louisiana Battalion, C.S.A.

Wiilis W. Bankston was a lieutenant in Company D (Caruther's Sharpshooters), 9th Louisiana Battation, C.S.A. He later served in the Louisiana House of Representatives (1884 - 1888).

Spencer M. Bankston was a private first in the 3rd Louisiana Cavalry (Wingfield's Regiment), and then in Company D (Caruther's Sharpshooters), 9th Louisiana Battalion, C.S.A.

Frances Marion Bankston served as a Lieutenant in Miles' Legion, Louisiana Volunteers, C.S.A.

Ivy Byron Bankston (27 August 1850 - 5 May 1921) was my GG Grandfather. He married Mary Stevens (born 1854) and had eleven children: Nancy, John, Mary Bernice, Corine, Maude, Ella, Florence, Francis Marion, Lela, Willis B., and Ida.

Francis Marion Bankston (14 March 1891 - 25 August 1970) was my great-grandmother, who married Joseph Anthony Peter (14 July 1878 - 8 January 1964) on July 23, 1913. They had two children who survived birth: Karl Joseph and Louis Marion. They had a baby that was still born in 1918.

Louis M. Peter was my grandfather (7 February 1920 - 8 July 2001) who married Gloria Violet Lamping (18 December 1926 - 15 May 2004) on April 28, 1946. They had two sons, Stephen Louis and Keith Maurice.

Stephen Louis (b. 25 December 1949) is my father, and lives in Baton Rouge. He married Cheryl Lynn Carpenter (b. 10 April 1954) on July 8, 1972. They had two children - Katie Lynn (b. 1976) and me, Brian Stephen (b. 1979). I live in Madisonville and have two children: Brian Jr. born in Australia in 2003 and a daughter Gracie born here in Louisiana last year.

I hope that maybe this might fill in a gap or two in the research that you were doing. I will soon be diving into the Bankston family more myself, and would like to know if I can call on you for some help when that time comes if I am missing some information.

Your distant cousin,

Brian

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 3:20PM GMT
Surnames: Bankston, Henry,

Hi: My grandfather was James Marion Bankston b. @1860, GA or
Tenn. His father Henry b. @1837, GA Think his father
was Nathan.
James m. Willie Ann Henry b 1865, AR they married in AR
Henrys wife was Elizabeth ??
One of James dau. m. a Robertson this is my grandparents
James & Willie lived in Indian Terr. OK and had 12
children lived and lost 2 or 3. Anxious to hear from
you. Bansha72@hotmail.com

Posted: 22 Aug 2012 6:45PM GMT
Your line goes back to a BARKLEY line, the Rev. John BARKLEY who changed his surname to BANKSTON (legally) in South Carolina in 1805.

"The petition of John BANKSTON alias John BARKLEY of Spartanburgh District
and state aforesaid Humbly shewth, that your petitioner hath good cause to
believe and verlily does believe that in law his name is John BARKLEY, but
he is known by and hath retain the name of BANKSTON, and for certain good
causes he now petitions your Honorable body to take his case into
consideration and grant that his name be confirmed and that he be known in
law by the name of John BANKSTON and the anme of BANKSTON shall descend to
his posterity - and your humble petitioners as in duty bound will ever pray.----John BANKSTON - 28 Oct. 1805"

1. Nathaniel (Nathan) [nee "Barkley"] BANKSTON was born in 1793.

Nathanial "Nathan" Bankston was the son of Rev. John Bankston (nee BARKLEY) and Mary Lanier

He served in the military military list between 1812 and 1815 in South Carolina. South Carolinans in Wa of 1812

http://sciway3.net/proctor/state/1812/1812b.html
Bankston, Nathan
Private, Felder's Battalion Artillery SC Militia
He died in Nov 1850 at the age of 57 in Chattooga County, Georgia.

Nathanial Bankston born 1793/1799 in Spartanburg District, South Carolina.
Nathaniel married abt. 1819 in Gwinnett County, Georgia to Sarah Light.
They appeared in the census in 1850 in Chattooga County, Georgia.

Nathaniel (Nathan) BANKSTON and Sarah LIGHT had the following children:

+2 i. James M. BANKSTON, born abt 1825, Greene County, Georgia; married Mary Jane CROWDER, 6 Feb 1854, Chattooga County, Georgia; died bet 1866 and 1870, Georgia.
3 ii. M. A. "Martha Ann?" BANKSTON was born about 1828 in Greene County, Georgia.
4 iii. William R. BANKSTON was born about 1829 in Greene County, Georgia.
5 iv. Mary BANKSTON was born about 1835 in Greene County, Georgia.
+6 v. Henry M. BANKSTON, born abt 1836, Greene County, Georgia; married Elizabeth [--?--] PERHAPS SPANGLER, ca 1862, Georgia.
7 vi. John BANKSTON was born about 1839 in Greene County, Georgia.

Second Generation

2. James M. BANKSTON (Nathaniel (Nathan)-1) was born about 1825 in Greene County, Georgia. He died between 1866 and 1870 at the age of 41 in Georgia.

James M. BANKSTON and Mary Jane "Jane" CROWDER were married on 6 Feb 1854 in Chattooga County, Georgia. They appeared in the census in 1860 in Walker County, Georgia.

James M. BANKSTON and Mary Jane CROWDER had the following children:

8 i. William BANKSTON was born about 1855 in Alabama.
9 ii. Shelton BANKSTON was born about 1857 in Alabama.
10 iii. Louisiana BANKSTON was born about 1859 in Alabama.
11 iv. Missouri BANKSTON was born about 1862 in Georgia.
12 v. Texas BANKSTON was born about 1864 in Georgia.
13 vi. Melinda BANKSTON was born about 1866 in Georgia.

6. Henry M. BANKSTON (Nathaniel (Nathan)-1) was born about 1836 in Greene County, Georgia. He appeared in the census in 1860 in Walker County, Georgia. There's a 21-year-old Henry Bankston with his mother Sarah (widow) living next to James Bankston 35, and his family, which includes a 24-year-old William Bankston .... in Upper Cover, Walker County, GA in 1860 He served in the military private in Co. B, 41 Alabama Inf. enlisted 3 years or war between 1862 and 1865 in Fayette County, Alabama.

Henry M. BANKSTON and Elizabeth [--?--] PERHAPS_ SPANGLER_ were married circa 1862 in Georgia. They appeared in the census in 1870 in Washburn, Scott County, Arkansas.

[Source Citation: Year: 1870; Census Place: Washburn, Scott, Arkansas; Roll: M593_63; Page: 662B; Image: 490; Family History Library Film: 545562.]

They appeared in the census in 1880 in Charleston, Franklin County, Arkansas.

Source Citation: Year: 1880; Census Place: Charleston, Franklin, Arkansas; Roll: 44; Family History Film: 1254044; Page: 840D; Enumeration District: 064; Image: 0391.

Henry M. BANKSTON and Elizabeth [--?--] PERHAPS_ SPANGLER_ had the following children:

+14 i. James M. BANKSTON, born Jan 1863, Georgia; married Willie Ann HENRY, 13 Dec 1885, Sebastian County, Arkansas.
15 ii. William BANKSTON was born circa 1865 in Georgia.
16 iii. Lucinda BANKSTON was born circa 1869 in Tennessee.
17 iv. Charles BANKSTON was born circa 1873 in Arkansas.

Third Generation

14. James M. BANKSTON (Henry M.-2, Nathaniel (Nathan)-1) was born in Jan 1863 in Georgia.

James M. BANKSTON and Willie Ann HENRY were married on 13 Dec 1885 in Sebastian County,
[Source: Arkansas. Arkansas Marriages, 1779-1992 Arkansas Marriages, 1779-1992]
Hunting For Bears, comp.. Arkansas Marriages, 1779-1992 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.
Original data: Arkansas marriage information taken from county courthouse records. Please contact the appropriate county clerk for original source information.

They appeared in the census in 1900 in Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory.
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Township 12, Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory; Roll: 1846; Enumeration District: 46; FHL microfilm: 1241846.

James M. BANKSTON and Willie Ann HENRY had the following children (perhaps more):

18 i. Henry J. BANKSTON was born in Dec 1886 in Indian Territory.
19 ii. Lizzie BANKSTON was born in Dec 1888 in Indian Territory.
20 iii. Nancy E. BANKSTON was born in Mar 1894 in Indian Territory.
21 iv. Charles BANKSTON was born circa 1896 in Indian Territory.
22 v. Mary S. BANKSTON was born circa 1899 in Indian Territory.

===============
Myra

Posted: 23 Aug 2012 7:24PM GMT
Thanks Myra, A lot of us have an interest in Rev. John Bankston and his family. I was on the wrong road looking to help our cousin and was hung up on the wrong Henry.

I always have to put in my two cents on Rev. John’s wife Mary Lanier.. I hope the original inquiry [from Bansha72] will follow up and find a similar interest in his Lanier ancestors. Mary Lanier Is one of 11 children of James and Mary Cooke Lanier and is the Great Grandaunt of our great American Poet Sidney Clopton Lanier.

Mary6 Lanier (James5, Sampson4, John3, Clement2, Nicholas1) was born 23 Jun 1764 in Pitt County, NC, and died 1857 in Coosa County, AL. She married Rev. John Bankston 1782, He was born 08 May 1760 in Orange [Guilford] County, NC, and died 23 Feb 1838 in Gwinnett Co., GA.

So, Bansha72, you have hit pay dirt on some very interesting ancestors. Pay close attention to Myra. She is one of the best most talented researcher, Genealogist and helper for a lot of families.

Posted: 23 Aug 2012 8:15PM GMT
Thanks Myra, A lot of us have an interest in Rev. John Bankston and his family. I was on the wrong road looking to help our cousin and was hung up on the wrong Henry.

I always have to put in my two cents on Rev. John’s wife Mary Lanier.. I hope the original inquiry [from Bansha72] will follow up and find a similar interest in his Lanier ancestors. Mary Lanier Is one of 11 children of James and Mary Cooke Lanier and is the Great Grandaunt of our great American Poet Sidney Clopton Lanier.

Mary6 Lanier (James5, Sampson4, John3, Clement2, Nicholas1) was born 23 Jun 1764 in Pitt County, NC, and died 1857 in Coosa County, AL. She married Rev. John Bankston 1782, He was born 08 May 1760 in Orange [Guilford] County, NC, and died 23 Feb 1838 in Gwinnett Co., GA.

So, Bansha72, you have hit pay dirt on some very interesting ancestors. Pay close attention to Myra. She is one of the best most talented researcher, Genealogist and helper for a lot of families.

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 8:10PM GMT
Surnames: Henry and Bankston
Myra:
My line is Nathan, Henry and (James Marion b. 1863 in GA)
Him and Willie Henry were my ggrandparents. Am having
a lot of trouble finding anything out about Willie. Were
told she was Cherokee Indian. Found her on 1880Census living with Atkinsons in AR. Her and Marion were married 1885,Greenwood, AR. She died 1907 in Indian
Territory OK. They did have more children, after Virgie (not Marry) they had Cora, Amos and Stevie.
Do you know anything about the Henry's? They say she
was b. AR and on census says her mother b. Tenn. nothing
about dad. Would appreciate hearing from you.
Betty (Bansha72@hotmail.com)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic