Search for content in message boards

Albert P. Springstead

Albert P. Springstead

Posted: 19 Nov 2004 10:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for relatives of Albert P. Springstead (b:1881), married Maggie Mae Sessney (b:1881). They had 2 daughters, Elouise (1907-1987) and Yuma (1910-1078) both
born in Texas.

Re: Albert P. Springstead

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 7:02AM GMT
I'm Debbie Crawford Bertram. I can't help with the Springstead line but I am one of Elouise's grand daughters. My mother was Mildred Elaine Sylvester Crawford. Father was Don Rue Crawford. Are you in touch with any relatives in New Mexico?

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 1:50PM GMT
Hi Debbie,
No, I'm not in touch with anyone in New Mexico, but I am with your mom's niece, Sharon Sylvester, daughter of Everet. She is my maternal cousin, her mom Geraldean & my mother Jeanne were sisters. Sharon and I live in the same town in AZ. I'd be happy to put you in touch, to see what she might know about NM relatives. I'm sure there are relatives of Elouise's brother A.P. (Alfred) in NM but haven't really looked for them.

Looking forward to hearing from you & I know Sharon will be happy to hear from you as well.
Linda Riggs

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 10:31PM GMT
Hi Linda;
I would love it if you could tell Sharon about me. I haven't been in touch with her in years. I didn't know she had moved from Colorado. Have been out of contact since my mom Mildred (Mickie) and uncle Sonny (Everet) passed away.
I remember my grandmother (Elouise) saying that someone in Gallup NM was working on the Springstead family tree.
So good to hear from you!
Deb

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 10:57PM GMT
Hi Debbie,
I talked to Sharon yesterday after seeing your post & she'd love to hear from you, too. My email address is below if you what to send me your email, so I can give you her's.

I started working on Springstead/Sylvester research to help Sharon's niece, Sarah (Dale's daughter); she doesn't have as much time to devote to this as I do, but I'm happy to share what I do know.

Thanks, Linda desertpenguin355@yahoo.com

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 2:03AM GMT
Hiya Linda;
Thanks for telling Sharon about me. I remember growing up, Sharon, Donna, Susie, Alan and Dale didn't get to see much of eachother at all because we lived in Washington State and they were in Colorado. We kept in contact through my grandmother Elouise. She went to see them fairly often. When she did they (Yuma and Elouise) traveled to Gallup NM to visit their brother AP. and his wife Thelma. I never got to meet him or great aunt Thelma but I did meet their son Alan. He came to Washington to visit. My sister Kathy and I loved Sharon's "flipped up" hair.
My email is lady__emily@hotmail.com.
So good to hear from you!
Deb

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 2:42AM GMT
Whoo Hoo! I found something on "findagrave.com" in NM here is the link http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSln=S...;
It shows AP Springstead (b. Apr 8, 1963 d. Jan 8, 1922) and Maggie M. springstead (b. Oct 17, 1885 d. Feb 1, 1924. It also shows son Col AP Springstead and his wife Thelma Kirk.
At least it's a start.
Deb

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 3:57AM GMT
Hiya Linda;
I just found an obit for LoraLynn Springstead Dahl, sister of Bronson and Alan. Daughter of Alfred (AP) and Thelma Springstead. Lots of good info.:

Dahl -- LoraLynn Dahl, 62, a native of New Mexico and a resident of Albuquerque for most of her life, passed away peacefully at home on May 15, 2002. Lynn is preceded in death by her late beloved husband of 40 years, Foye; her daughter, Amanda; her mother and father, Thelma and Colonel Springstead; and her brother, Alan Springstead. Lynn is survived by her three sons, Rory and wife, Shari of Dallas, Stace of Cincinnati, Terry and wife, Heather of Albuquerque; her grandchildren, Rachel, Erin, Brad, Hannah, and Jackson; her two brothers, Dr. Bronson Springstead and wife, Karen and Terry Springstead and wife, Ginny; her first cousin, Darla Dollahon; her other son, Ronne and wife, Sonja; her best buddy, Judy Marchetti; Jayme Robino and Vicki Camerlingo; and special friends, Anna Mae and Bobby Lafferty; adopted grandchildren, Jordan and Jarred Mercer, Wyatt, Garrett, and Walker McDevitt, Leeann and Jacob Higgins. Lynn will join her precious husband, Foye, who passed away in 1998. Lynn dedicated her life to her family and helped run and keep the Hotel Circle Chevron service station serving customers for many years. Lynn was very active in her childrens' lives by volunteering in little league and being a booster club president (Del Norte High School) for baseball and football. She took care of Foye and anybody that needed help with anything. A dedicated mother, wife and precious lady, Lynn will be greatly missed and remembered for her heart the size of Texas. Cremation has taken place and Lynn's remains will be put next to Foye and Amanda in Gallup.

Published in the ABQ Journal Obits September 15, 2002

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 6:21AM GMT
Traced Alfred P. married to Maggie M. to New York.
Here is what I have so far:

George Springstead b. about 1836 – according to 1870 census in Skaneatles, Onondaga New York
m. Ellen (b. about 1836
c. Eugene b. about 1859
Alfred P. (see below)

Alfred P. Springstead b. April 8, 1867 NY d. Jan 8, 1922
Buried: Greenlawn Cemetery, Farmington, San Juan County NM
m. Maggie Mae Sessney b. Oct 17, 1985 Texas d. Feb 1, 1924 GREAT GRANDMOTHER
c. 1. Elouise Ellen (Aug 12, 1907 – July 1987)
2. Yuma Day (Dec 3, 1910 – Apr 1, 1978 Thorton CO)
m. Henry Spurgeon Hayes (b. Aug 22, 1915? Berrnet TX d. 1986? Brighton CO)
3. Ella L. (1 year older then Alan P.)
4. Alan P. (A.P.) (see below)

Col. Alan Philip (AP) Springstead Sr. b. 1908 d. 1970
Buried at Sunset Memorial Gardens, Gallup, McKinley County NM
m. Thelma Kirk (1906 – 1985)
married: Jan 3, 1930 in Gallup NM
c. 1. Alan Philip (b. Nov 17, 1933 Gallup NM d. Dec 19, 1991)
2. Bronson, wife Karen
3. Terry and wife Ginny
4. LoraLynn Dahl (b. Feb 15, 1940 d. May 15, 2002)
Death announcement in Albuquerque Journal May 7, 1976:
DAHL -- LoraLynn Dahl, 62, a native of New Mexico and a resident of Albuquerque for most of her life, passed away peacefully at home on May 15, 2002. Lynn is preceded in death by her late beloved husband of 40 years, Foye; her daughter, Amanda; her mother and father, Thelma and Colonel Springstead; and her brother, Alan Springstead. Lynn is survived by her three sons, Rory and wife, Shari of Dallas, Stace of Cincinnati, Terry and wife, Heather of Albuquerque; her grandchildren, Rachel, Erin, Brad, Hannah, and Jackson; her two brothers, Dr. Bronson Springstead and wife, Karen and Terry Springstead and wife, Ginny; her first cousin, Darla Dollahon; her other son, Ronne and wife, Sonja; her best buddy, Judy Marchetti; Jayme Robino and Vicki Camerlingo; and special friends, Anna Mae and Bobby Lafferty; adopted grandchildren, Jordan and Jarred Mercer, Wyatt, Garrett, and Walker McDevitt, Leeann and Jacob Higgins. Lynn will join her precious husband, Foye, who passed away in 1998. Lynn dedicated her life to her family and helped run and keep the Hotel Circle Chevron service station serving customers for many years. Lynn was very active in her childrens' lives by volunteering in little league and being a booster club president (Del Norte High School) for baseball and football. She took care of Foye and anybody that needed help with anything. A dedicated mother, wife and precious lady, Lynn will be greatly missed and remembered for her heart the size of Texas. Cremation has taken place and Lynn's remains will be put next to Foye and Amanda in Gallup.
m. Foye (b. March 20, 1937 d. apr 15, 1998)
married on Jan 14, 1950 in Gallup NM
c. Amanda (deceased)
Rory, wife Shari of Dallas
Stace of Cincinnati
Terry and wife Heather of Albuquerque
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
References:
Alfred P. & Maggie M. Springstead 1910 Census in Cerrillos, Sante Fe, New Mexico

George & Ellen Springstead 1870 Census in Skaneatles, Onondaga, New York

That's it for now still working on it. Just thought I would send you what I had so far.
Deb

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 9:39PM GMT
Sara Sylvester & I spent a while searching for Maggie Mae's correct maiden name & finally located a birth record for Yuma who was born in Maricopa County, AZ that says Maggie's maiden name was spelled Cessna & I then traced her to her parents in Texas:

Maggie Mae Cessna (b: 17 Oct 1885, Leon County Texas) youngest born of 7 to:

John D. Cessna (b: 1844 Nacogdoches, Texas; d: 29 Nov 1895 Centerville, Leon, Texas) and
Martha Jane (McDaniel) Cessna (b: 12 Sept 1845 Tennessee;d: 8 Jun 1889, Centerville, Leon, Texas)

The obit (Gallup Independent, 21 Dec 1970), "A.P (Col) Springstead, a native New Mexican & a long time Indian trader was orphaned early in life moved to Crown King Ranch & was raised by I.K. & D. Westbrook. He later moved with the Westbrooks to Mariano Lake & helped manage the Mariano Trading Post. After marrying Thelma Kirk in 1930, he opened his own business in Chaco Canyon & in 1937 they moved their Springstead Trading Post to current location (near Gallup) that still bears their name today. In 1952 he expanded by purchasing Wildcat Trading Post near Window Rock, AZ....."
Note: Alfred Sr. was living & working as a logger in AZ per the 1920 Census, but Maggie & the 3 childred do not show on any Census report. 4 years later, with Maggie having died, A.P. (age 15) goes to live with the Westbrooks, your grandmother Elouise married the year before & although Yuma was only 14, I can't find where she was until 1930 when she was working as a maid in Denver.

Only other fact, Sara & I have tried to determine is which Native American tribe your Grandmother Elouise descends from. Sharon said Elouise didn't admit to being NA until the last few years of her life & although they she spent much of her early life on the Navajo reservation, we believe it is Maggie's Cessna side who was NA and Navajos are not native to Texas, so more than likely she was from a small tribe who were disappeared from that part of Texas by 1850 and likely assimilated into the Cherokees. I think the Gallup area is just where Alfred & Maggie settled and that area is mostly Navajo.

I've done a lot of Native American research since I have Native American on both sides of my family & it's difficult to document unless you can trace back to 1 of the major tribal chiefs. Native American ancestry was mostly hidden by families until the last recently.

That's about it for now. I let you know if I or Sara find anymore on your family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions