Search for content in message boards

Horsfall obit

Horsfall obit

Posted: 19 Aug 2012 7:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Would some one have a way of checking old newspapers for an obit? I want to find an obit for information on Florence I. Horsfall b 13 Oct. 1899 in Dubuque, Iowa. She died at 103 on 2 July 2003 in Albuquerque, Bernalillo, NM. I'm not sure when she moved there or why.

Thank you

Re: Horsfall obit*

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 1:47AM GMT
Edited: 15 Nov 2012 2:34PM GMT
Hi,

IF you're still looking for this obit, you can contact the Rio Grande Valley Library System. You'll find their contact info at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~obitl/voln...
Scroll down to Bernalillo Co.

If that doesn't work out, there is an obit volunteer at www.gengathering.com. You have to create an user ID and password but then you can access the volunteer info at no charge. Successful Searching!

Re: Horsfall obit

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 4:17AM GMT
You may have the below, the only "problem" is your concern over the "last residence," which could be her daughters versus hers. Her husband Ray died in 1955...per records. So, she "could" have remarried and the SSDI records reflected her previous married name. OR, she could have died in Albuquerque...but that does not mean that she was living there. So many possibilities due to problems in our record systems:

The Social Security Death Index:
Florence I. Horsfall, born 13 oct 1899, died 2 July 2003, "last residence" Albuquerque, NM.
--The "last residence" on the SSDI is NOT necessarily where a person actually
lived or died. The Social Security Administration calls it simply the "home
of record." It is not necessarily where any benefit was paid to the person,
survivor, or the lumpsum death benefit (in 1972 was paid to anyone paying
burial expenses, family member, funeral home, city/county, attorney). It is
sometimes the location where the notification of death was sent to the SSA,
sometimes where the lump sum death benefit was sent.

The Bernalillo County recorder had no documents in her name, indicating she did not own property, record any documents, power-of-attorney, estates, etc. There is a recorded marriage of a Sarah Beth Horsfall to a Carl Finely in 2007.

Posted family trees identify her as born as Florence Noonan. She married Raymond Horsfall on 8 May 1918 and lived in Dubuque Co, IA to at least 1960. Ray died in 1955. She had a daughter "private" and a son Robert Ray Horsfall, died 19 Nov 1944 in the Netherlands. (Betting a Battle of the Bulge war casualty...I've been doing a number of these and those in the Netherlands "adopting" cemetery stones and the hero's).

I did a number of other searches, without success.

Your answer might be in finding her daughter.

Re: Horsfall obit

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 5:31AM GMT
That's what I've been trying to do without success. Her daughter Nancy is the person I've been trying to locate.
I know Florence was in Dubuque in 1960 by city directories. They end there. I wonder what would get a woman over 60 to move across the country away from her birth place? My only answer that made sense is Nancy came and took her to NM to be near her. I've given up on it since I have no married name to go by and since there were no Grand children listed on Ray's death, There is no evidence before that of Nancy marring. With no record of an obit it would seem there was no one left to provide any information for memorial tribute to a 103 year old woman.

Thank you so much for your time and interest. You've backed up my decidion to drop the search. There's just no proof that Nancy Ann Horsfall evem married or worked any where. She'd need the Horsfall name to even marry.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions