Search for content in message boards

1830 Carteret to Currituck County Census error on Ancestry.com

1830 Carteret to Currituck County Census error on Ancestry.com

Posted: 14 Aug 2011 1:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
In case you haven't noticed Ancestry has mislabeled at least some of the 1830 Census for Carteret Co. as being Beaufort in Currituck Co. and they don't take corrections. There are 18 images and Image #1 of these clearly states in the first column labeled County, Carteret County, City of Beaufort. The census contains the prominent Carteret Co. names including Benjamin Howland on p. 1. I believe I was searching p. 8 and saw Jechonias Piggott. I knew there was only 1 of him and he wasn't in Currituck Co.

I don't know if the correct Currituck Co. census for 1830 is also posted or not.

Nancy Smith

Re: 1830 Carteret to Currituck County Census error on Ancestry.com

Posted: 14 Aug 2011 1:30PM GMT
Surnames: Hancock, Jones, Loften, Dearham, Martin, Cummings
Ancestry does take corrections, but they are slow with this kind of correction. The had my grandparent home in AR listed as the town of Van Buren, AR when I was in Van Buren County, AR. Everytime I went there, I sent a correction and after a long time, they have the entire area corrected.

It is slow because it is not just one image but the entire county that is wrong.

So keep sending corrections, even if there doesn't seem to be a place for the corrections.

Posted: 14 Aug 2011 3:56PM GMT
I second that - I've sent in numerous corrections. They always answer them. My comments stay with the census record for others to see. Also, remember that the original transcriptions of census records were done by volunteers
that have been "trained" to some degree on handwriting spellings, etc. With the 1940 census coming out - they will need more folks to transcibe them!

Posted: 14 Aug 2011 5:08PM GMT
Thanks to your encouragement I sent a message to the "Help" board as well as making individual corrections at the 1st page of the Beaufort Census, for Benjamin T. Howland where is clearly states Carteret Co. next to his name, and several names down where it states, City of Beaufort. Both of the names were correct, but the only item on the drop down menu for correction is "Name".

Nancy

Posted: 16 Aug 2011 9:36PM GMT
After some encouragement from the Currituck message board I sent a message concerning this error to ancestry on Sunday Aug 14. By Monday Aug. 15 I had a polite answer from Ancestry requesting the citation for the page that was in error. Today, Aug. 16 I had another nice response:

We appreciate your message.Thank you for bringing this error to our attention. We will submit this to our programmers and they will correct it as soon as they are able. We strive to have accurate records, and we do have a 99% accuracy rate, however with over 4 billion records there are still a number of records that may have errors. It is a very complex and involved process to fix a record in error, as the entire database collection requires attention to fix even a small issue. In most cases, resolving census issues requires research, individual rescanning, and other time consuming processes. For this reason, the resolution may take longer than other website errors. Thank you for your patience.If there is anything else with which we might assist you, please let us know.

Needless to say I was very pleased with this response. I don't know if this will correct all the county problems, but I will be encouraged to try again if it doesn't.

Nancy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions