Search for content in message boards

Descendants of Ekern

Descendants of Ekern

Posted: 19 Mar 2011 6:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ekern
I would like to visit with descendants of Peter, Even, Randine,Anton,Mark,Or Maria Ekern family from Trempealeau co,
Herman L Ekern (famous Wisc politician) is a descendant also.
I am related to this Ekern family. I am interested in any info on this family tree. I have Norwegian genealogy I can share...

Re: Descendants of Ekern

Posted: 19 Mar 2011 11:37PM GMT
Surnames: Ekern, Snausen, Johannssen, Johnson
My g grandfather’s patronymic was Mikal Johannssen, but he was an Ekern by birth, b. 1842 on the farm named Ekern in Verdal, North Trondheim, Norway. They often used the name Ekern. When his family moved to another farm in Verdal named Snausen, they sometimes used the name Snausen. On the Norwegian 1865 census, he is shown as Mikal Johannssen, "domicile" Snausen farm. On that census his father is Johann Jacobssen b. 1813 (or 1811--I haven't entered all this in my PAF file but I remember it as 1813). Mikal immigrated to the US in 1868, apparently alone. His American name was Charles Johnson (just to make my life difficult!). Two sisters ended up in or near La Crosse by 1889, using Snausen.

He became infamous in 1889 for leading a mob outside of Blair, Trempealeau Co, which lynched Hans Jacob Olson. Killing him was not Johnson's intent—Olson was dangerous, and Johnson and others wanted him to leave the county. But mobs, even Norwegian mobs, can get out of hand, and this one did. Johnson pleaded guilty. He and three others served just short of five years of a life sentence at Waupun. This was the only instance in US history of Norwegians lynching another Norwegian. Beside your point, of course, but interesting.

I've noticed in some Trempealeau Co. cemetery lists a few Ekerns, and presume they must be related to me somehow. I'd love to know exactly how.

I found a family tree on Ancestry which showed some of my ancestors using a variety of names, including Snausen, but none using Ekern, though it did show some besides “Charles Johnson” born at Ekern. This tree went back to the 1700s.

Hope we can make some connections.

Doris

Posted: 20 Mar 2011 12:22AM GMT
That was a fascinating story, I had not heard about that.
Unfortunately, your Ekern is not related to the Ekerns of
Trempealeau Co. My Ekern family comes from Oppland, Norway.
There were two unrelated Ekern families in Trempealeau Co and both were from Oppland Norway.
thank you for your reply!

Posted: 15 Jul 2011 10:54PM GMT
Do you know if your Ekern family lived in Ettrick or Gale Township in Trempealeau County, or did they settle in Pigeon Township Trempealeau County? I grew up in Trempealeau Co. and know a few Ekerns, but not sure if they would be relatives.
Mary

Posted: 16 Jul 2011 1:32AM GMT
They spread out. There were several Ekern men in the 1880s and some lived in LaCrosse also. I believe there was one Ekern that was not related, my Ekern came from Biri, Oppland, Norway. I don't have a complete tree for them, just the very older generations...
Some of them lived in Whitehall. Herman Ekern was in politics in Wisc.

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 7:58AM GMT
Edited: 14 Jan 2013 8:58AM GMT
Herman Lewis Ekern was my great grandfather.
He was the son of Even Ekern and Elizabeth Grimsrud Ekern.
Herman married Lily (Lilly or Lillie) Anderson, daughter of Judge HA Anderson and Oline Fristad Anderson.
Herman and Lily's daughter Lila Ekern was my maternal grandmother.
How are we related?

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 3:05PM GMT
Even Ekern and my grandmother were first cousins. Can we private message?

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 6:26PM GMT
Certainly, but I don't know how to private message. Can you help?

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 1:21PM GMT
If you have a sub to ancestry you should be able to click on my name to contact me privately(I thought I had it set to contact me that way?).....otherwise I can put it here for a short time......

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 3:54PM GMT
Surnames: Trempeleau
Why don't you two just email each other. Much simpler.

Linda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic