Search for content in message boards

Alexander McCarter

Alexander McCarter

Posted: 18 May 2010 5:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCarty, McCarter
I am looking for any information on Alexander McCarter who was in Adams/York County in the mid to late 1700's. I am hoping that he is the Alexander McCarty that I have been searching for. I found Alexander McCarter in the 1790 Census in Mount Pleasant township. Also a couple of mentions in the History of Adams County book. The Alexander that I am searching was married to (possibly) a Margaret. They had 8 children that I know of - Amos,Aaron, Eli, Moses, Isaac, Hiram, Rebecca and Hannah. I have possible dates on a couple of them, but nothing for sure. Would appreciate any help or advice. Thanks!

Re: Alexander McCarter

Posted: 19 May 2010 5:54PM GMT
Surnames: McCarter
Have you checked with http://www.yorkcountyarchives.org/search.asp?

The only annoying this is that to search on names with "Mc" you can't use "McCarter" you have to search on "Carter" or "Mc Carter". It looks like there are quite a few mentions of him in "Clerk of Courts Quarter Session Dockets (1749-1877)" - looks like he was a public official.

Posted: 27 May 2010 2:26AM GMT
I had not looked. Thanks!

Posted: 10 Apr 2012 3:31PM GMT
I am looking for the parents of Aaron McCarter who married Lydia Musgrove in Lancaster County, PA in 1770. I think he was the same Aaron McCarter who mentioned his wife Lydia in his 1820 will in Stokes County.
Could he be the son of Alexander McCarter?
Any information you can share will be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Byron Bowman

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 12:04AM GMT
I do have an Aaron listed as a son of Alexander. The only information that I have on him is that (according to family history) he was a mathematician.

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 12:21PM GMT
Edited: 18 Mar 2013 12:22PM GMT
Thanks for your Information.
My Aaron McCarter was a farmer who travelled with a group of Quakers from PA to the New Garden community in NC, then to the Wrightsboro community in GA, before settling in the Westfield Community in Stokes County NC.
So he does not seem to have been the Mathematician son of Alexander.
Regards, Byron Bowman
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions