Search for content in message boards

New Menus on Ancestry.com

New Menus on Ancestry.com

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 1:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
How can I add the entry for a City Directory in the same year as the Census to an individual's overview? The software wants to combine the entries into one and put two sources.

It seems I can no longer edit the fields for an entry of a person I'm adding to my tree. I like to enter an actual date for the census (Apr 15, 1910) and then it keeps things in chronolgical order. I like to add the word county for clarity (at least for me) and delete the sometimes automatic USA. I also haven't found a way to add a new spouse and edit the maiden name. I know there are work arounds for some of these problems but it seems that in an effort to dumb things down ancestry has punished the many for the problems of a few.

Re: New Menus on Ancestry.com

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 3:34PM GMT
Are you using the new Beta? "We’ve simplified the way you add new discoveries to your tree — and given it a new look and feel."

You can switch back to the old format if you don't like it - I tried it for about 5 minutes and switched back immediately.

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 4:05PM GMT
Garry-I also tried that new "beta" idea and switched back immediately. You do not have to use that-I hope we are not forced to in the future either. Like you, I prefer to add the actual date the census page was taken and enter the county and delete "country". If all the census decades were done the same way, perhaps I would let "country" stay there but it is not at all the same. Sometimes United States of America is there, sometimes USA and sometimes no country at all. It is just too erratic. I feel the same about the dates. Only the 1940 census uses 1 April 1940-the others only use the year. Again, if all were the same, maybe I would let the automatic date stay there but since no census decade is treated the same, I prefer to use my interpretation. Actually, the only time I use for example 1 April is in the 1840 census since that is the beginning date for that census and there are no dates associated with each page.

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 8:09PM GMT
Thanks Guys,

I haven't been adding to a tree recently and I don't know how I got the Beta Version turned on but I was happy to see that the older version was still available.

I hope ancesrty gets some more "USER" input before they make the older version unavailable.

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 11:03PM GMT
You can edit data before it is merged. Hover over the field you want to edit on the right hand side and click the little pencil that displays to right of the field. As for the combined entries, I haven't figured out how to prevent that...

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 12:54AM GMT
My problem came about when I tried to attach a second spouse from the census. The software tried to match it to the first spouse and I selected "not a match". I was still unable to edit any of the fields for the second spouse and I had to accept what was offered. I couldn't correct to the maiden name, edit the date or place or year born etc.

Of course there is a work around and I had to edit everything after retuning to the overview for the second spouse. In the current software I'm able to make all of the corrections when I add her to the tree through the census.

It's just more difficult.

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 12:55AM GMT
My problem came about when I tried to attach a second spouse from the census. The software tried to match it to the first spouse and I selected "not a match". I was still unable to edit any of the fields for the second spouse and I had to accept what was offered. I couldn't correct to the maiden name, edit the date or place or year born etc.

Of course there is a work around and I had to edit everything after retuning to the overview for the second spouse. In the current software I'm able to make all of the corrections when I add her to the tree through the census.

It's just more difficult.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic