Search for content in message boards

Maiden name for Mary E. Stetzel (1872-1954)

Maiden name for Mary E. Stetzel (1872-1954)

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 1:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Jan 2013 1:38AM GMT
Surnames: Stetzel, Stetcel
I have been searching endlessly,and unsuccessfully, for information regarding the above named individual, who is my husband's great-grandmother. She is buried in Ontario County, Seneca Township, NY in what is referred to by the locals as the new section of NO. 9 Cemetery on NO. 9 Road. The information on her gravestone is exactly what I have listed above. She was married to and is buried next to Eli Stetzel (l872-1952). Their son, Howard Stetzel, and his wife, Florence, are buried in the same plot. I cannot find an obituary, a marriage license, or anything to give me a clue about Mary E. Stetzel's life before her marriage. They lived in Phelps, NY, Seneca, NY, and Geneva, NY during their marriage. Any information that anyone could provide will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments:

Re: Maiden name for Mary E. Stetzel (1872-1954)

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 2:00AM GMT
Edited: 17 Jan 2013 2:05AM GMT
I found a marriage license for Howard James Stetzel and Florence Marie Simmons, which lists his parents as Eli Stetzel and Mary Van Menanson. The last name is a bit hard to read, and the transcription may not be accurate, but that should give you a starting point.

It's available on familysearch.org in the NY County Marriages database.

A daughter's marriage license is also available on fs.org, and the transcription is slightly different - Mary Mananson
Attachments:

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 2:18AM GMT
This is a message board for users having problems with their member trees. You'll find more people reading your message if you post it on the New York message board and/or a Stetzel or Simmons board.

Good luck.

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 4:32AM GMT
Edited: 17 Jan 2013 4:37AM GMT
I found two obituaries for you. Unfortunately neither give the maiden name for Mary ... however her obituary does mention her growing up in the Town of Clarence and Lyons. Hopefully this information along with the maiden name possibility given to you by BurgessDonnelly will be helpful to you in your search. You may want to contact the church that is named, they may have all the information you are looking for.

I found these obituaries on this website, there are other articles about the family you may be interested in.

http://fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

Good Luck!
Attachments:

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 9:05AM GMT
Thank you,so much! Your help is greatly appreciated.

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 9:19AM GMT
Thank you, so much! What a wonderful wealth of information!!

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 11:16PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jan 2013 2:16AM GMT
In the 1892 New York Census, a Mary Menansen is a servant in Lyons, Wayne County, born about 1873.

In the Wayne County Directory for 1891-92, a Joseph Menanson is listed as a shoemaker. Page 66 http://www.libraryweb.org/~digitized/miscdir/Wayne_County_Di... Since he is the only Menanson in the directory, there is a likely connection.

There is a Lyons County Historical Souvenir Book on ancestry.com, with a photograph (poor quality) of Joseph Menanson. http://tinyurl.com/bjsqh7v

Joseph Menanson is also listed in the military history of Wayne County.

Joseph and his wife Elizabeth http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=10...

Attached is a marriage announcement for Joseph Menanson and Libbie Rohr.

I also saw a James Howard Menanson in the census - a possible brother to Mary Menanson. Since she named her son James Howard, that seems a very likely fit.
Attachments:

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 2:15AM GMT
Thank you very much for your kind assistance.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions