Search for content in message boards

looking for verification of info ref James Carter (1812 Vet) and his NA wife ? Deborah Newell

looking for verification of info ref James Carter (1812 Vet) and his NA wife ? Deborah Newell

Posted: 27 Mar 2009 11:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CARTER CLARK NEWELL
The quotes below was found on Rootsweb by searching Family Trees for James Carter born May 1765 in British Isles, spouse-Deborah Newell (indian ?)
3 submissions/results posted--THANKS-
June Ferguson, David James, Deborah

I'm hoping that anyone can find and then send attachments/ scans of military service records and other records that would verify the marriage or Indian heritage of Deborah Newell to James Carter.
this is all the info i have except for the names of many of James Carter's descendants

please contact

Dan

dadbrown_99@yahoo.com

"One of the original proprietors of Eastport, c1788 ["Vital Records from the Eastport Sentinel," p. 325]; later, a farmer at Pembroke.

Carter family tradition tells us James was an Englishman, a sailor who jumped ship and eventually married Deborah Newell, a member of the Passamaquoddy Tribe. The Passamaquoddy are now located principally at the Sipayiq [Pleasant Point] and Indian Township reservations in Washington County. The earliest records show James living in Eastport (then called Moose Island) in 1790, with a wife who was over 16 years of age. In 1796, he bought a lot on Moose Island from a Clark. In 1800, he had a wife and three daughters (Deborah, Hannah, and Nancy). Notes of Julia Taymon
NOTE by Dan Brown--the CLARK mentioned above may be related to Joanne Clark (dau of Manning Clark), who married Ezra W. Carter

Another family tradition says that James Carter was the son of a "wealthy" English family, who ran away and joined the American forces during the War of 1812 and married an Irish girl from Marblehead, Mass.

James Carter came to Pembroke c1810-15 and probably settled on Joseph Bridges' place [No 84a on Colby's Map].

Re: looking for verification of info ref James Carter (1812 Vet) and his NA wife ? Deborah Newell

Posted: 2 Nov 2009 12:45AM GMT
Dan:

Have you received any replies on James or Ezra Carter? I have some information on James, Debra, and some info. on a James Carter in the War of 1812.

Let me know what info. you need or the questions you have.

George
belfair081@msn.com

Re: looking for verification of info ref James Carter (1812 Vet) and his NA wife ? Deborah Newell

Posted: 2 Nov 2009 12:55AM GMT
George

all the info or questions is already in my original query

Thanks for your assistance

please just scan and email what you have

dadbrown_99@yahoo.com

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 2:01AM GMT
Surnames: Jones, McClellan, Cassidy
Ezra Carter Of Maine born 1830 married Johanna Clark in 1853 . He was my great,great,greatgrand father. My mane is Kathryn Jones from Atlanta , Georgia USA. My mother was Rose Marie Cassidy McClellan , Her mother was Cora Mary Carter Cassidy and John Carter was her father. She usto tell me about her favorite relative Her grand father Ezra Carterthe sea captain. Might this be the same person?

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 2:58AM GMT
Kathryn:
I pressed the wrong button and I was disconnected. Please email me at belfair081@msn.com and I will provide you with additional information.

All the best,

George

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 3:47PM GMT
Surnames: Carter
Hi Kathryn:
This is my second post on your email. Ezra is my 1st cousin, 4 times removed. I do have additional information on the Carter's of the Pembroke, Maine area. Let me know what you may need. I don't have any information on your grandfather Gregory and no information on your mother or her children, so any information that you can pass on for this line to present time would be appreciated.
My email is belfair081@msn.com. I'm located in Mass.

Thanks for writing,

George
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions