Search for content in message boards

Dawson family

Dawson family

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 6:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Oct 2012 11:15PM GMT
Surnames: Dawson
I am looking for information regarding the Dawson family: siblings James Bradbury Dawson, Kathleen, Cecily Marian,Ruth Evelyn, Walter Edward and Margaret Ida who were living at
17 Broadley Terrace, Blandford Square, London with their parents Walter Henry and Marian Caroline Dawson in 1911.

Re: Dawson family

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 2:19PM GMT
Surnames: Dawson
Can you say what sort of info you are looking for?

Are you working backwards or forwards?

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 4:38PM GMT
I am working forwards. Researching the Dawson family for my aunt who is the daughter of Ruth Evelyn(Nee Dawson)who died in the 1930s, very soon after my aunt was born, after which contact with the other Dawsons was lost.
My aunt would be very interested to know if there are any children or grandchildren of the other siblings - James, Kathleen, Cecily, Walter or Margaret known in the UK and if so, whether they might contact her via me, in the first instance.
(Ruth Evelyn was my grandmother.)

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 11:41AM GMT
My name is Simon Healy, my mothers name prior to marriage was Ruth Dawson, her father was James Bradbury Dawson a civil engineer on the railway based in Sheffield prior to and during WW2. I know that he had at least three sisters Kathleen Margaret and Cecily and was originally from south London, possibly his birth was registered in Lewisham in 1895?

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 4:36PM GMT
Hi,

Address

Walter Henry Dawson 48 building surveyor born Norwood
Mariane Caroline 42 born Liverpool
James Bradbury 16 born Catford
Kathleen Marife 15 born Catford
Cecily Marian 13 born Catford
Ruth Evelyn 11 born Catford
Walter Edward 10 born Catford
Margaret Ida 2 born Marylebone

Regards

Sandra

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 5:21PM GMT
Message for Simon Healy
Hi Simon
It would appear that we are both descended from the same family (great grand children of Walter Henry Dawson and his wife Marian (nee Bradbury.)
Is your mother still alive?
Did she have any siblings?
Regards
Stephanie Haworth

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 3:59PM GMT
My mother had four siblings, my mother Ruth Mary Dawson who was the eldest and born 19 May 1926, her sister Cecily and brothers James, Walter and Patrick. My grandmother was married to James Bradbury Dawson and her name was Catherine Gray from Blairgowrie in Scotland. My aunt Cecily was married to John Mennel and lived in York, James also lived in York while Walter lived in Cheshire and Patrick in Coventry. None are alive, all having passed away since 2003.

Simon Healy

Posted: 17 Apr 2013 3:59PM GMT
Message for Simon Healy
Hi Simon
I recollect my mother telling me of visiting her Aunt Margaret in Sheffield in the 1920s and 30s and am wondering if this might have been Margaret Ida, the youngest of the Dawson children on the 1911 census.
Do you know anything about her;whether she married, had children, or, if you grew up in Sheffield you might even have met her?
Regards
Stephanie Haworth

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 3:21PM GMT
My great aunt Margaret never married, she lived in or near Taunton with a companion who if I remember correctly was called Lamorna Kineston. Margaret died in the early 90's, again my memory is a little unclear of the date but it was around then. What I recall of Margaret is that she trained for the stage and was a in class with Dame Sybil Thorndike, I only met her once and that was the time of my Grandfathers funeral (James Bradbury Dawson).Catherine her elder sister didn't marry either, and all that I recall is that she was a very talented needle worker and completed some work for the Altar in Coventry Cathedral. I hope that this is of some help to you. Simon Healy

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 6:14PM GMT
Message for Simon Healy
Hi Simon
My aunt Ruth (born 1931) is the niece and god-daughter of James Bradbury Dawson. Her mother, also Ruth, sister of James, died quite soon after my aunt was born and the family lost contact with other Dawson relatives soon after that. My aunt is very interested to know of the possible existence of any cousins she might still have from the Dawson family (for example, did James' younger brother, Walter, marry and have children) and we are wondering if you might be able to be of any assistance in this.My aunt spent her working life as a nurse and was awarded the MBE for her services to nursing.
Very many thanks for all your information and help so far.
Regards
Stephanie Haworth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions