Search for content in message boards

Mary Gregory

Posted: 22 Jul 2009 4:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gregory
Searching for information on my Aunt Mary Gregory. Her husband was Herman Gregory. The lived in Tyler, Texas.
Mary died in October 1918 and we cannot find any obituary or anything to lead us to where she was buried.

If you have any information which could help us find her grave site, please let me know.

Thank you and God bless you,

Bella McKenzie

Re: Mary Gregory

Posted: 23 Jul 2009 7:40PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Bella,
Do you have Mary's and Herman's full names, dates of birth and dates of death. Also Mary's maiden name and the names of their children. Are the parents of either buried in Smith Co. You stated they lived in Tyler. Do you know how long. Could they have had other family living in an outlying area of the county? If so, where?

A quick search of burials in Smith Co cemeteries did not show either name. Could they have been buried in an adjoining county? Also I did not find either by the names given on the Texas Death Index nor did I find a death certificate on familysearch.

Have you checked the newspaper archives at the Tyler Public Library for an obit?

Do you think their family had sufficient means to erect a monument or marker other than the usual funeral home marker? There are thousands of unmarked graves in Smith Co and unfortunately their graves may not be marked. Any of the information I have mentioned might be of help in locating their graves whether marked or not.

Rex Kirby

Posted: 23 Jul 2009 9:57PM GMT
Surnames: Gregory, Norris, Gilliland
Mr. Kirby,

Thank your for the quick response and interest. Here's what I have on my aunt and uncle.

Mary Goldy Norris (nicknamed "Tom") Gregory.
Born 19 October 1902, probably in Ad Hall or Thorndale, TX.
Died 12 October 1918, probably in Tyler or Thorndale, TX.
Father: James Oliver Norris; he died when she was young.
Mother: Angelina Gray Gilliland Norris.
Stepfather: Augustus Adolphus "Gus" Williamson of
Thorndale. He was a Justice of the Peace.
Married: Herman Arthur Gregory 11 July 1917 in Thorndale,
Milam County, TX.
No children.

Herman Arthur Gregory.
Born 08 September 1898 in Thorndale, Milam County, TX.
Father: Arthur J. Gregory of Thorndale, TX.
Mother: Mattie Pearl McKay Gregory of Limestone County, TX.
Married: 1) Mary Norris 11 July 1917 in Thorndale, TX.
No children.
2) Mona (Maiden name unknown) from Arkansas.
No children that we know of.
Died 11 July 1938 in Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio
while on a visit there. He was brought home and
buried in Pleasant Retreat Cemetery in Thorndale.

I learned that Mary and Herman were living in Tyler when I found his 1917-1918 Draft Registration Card with that information on it. The card was dated 09 September 1918 and he showed he and his wife living in Tyler. That was only 33 days before Mary died. Herman was a student in the Tyler Commercial College at that time. I am guessing they were in Tyler for Herman to attend the college. His draft card shows him only as a student - no employment given. His parents were quite well off and may have been supporting them or Mary could have been the breadwinner.

No, I have not checked the newspapers in the library there because I just found out about Mary and Herman being in Tyler when I found his draft card. That was the very same day that I posted my query for Smith County. Since I am no longer able to travel, I need to find a dependable "look up" to search the library for obits in the old newspapers. If you are one, I will be most happy to hire you. If you are not, perhaps you know someone who is. Thank you for that suggestion.

Mary is the last mystery to solve in my family history research. We have searched for her grave for years and this is the first glimpse of a possible location. I do understand that many bodies were simply buried where they dropped during the flu pandemic of 1918 and that may obliterate any way of finding Mary.

To e-mail me directly: jomac@grandecom.net

God bless you abundantly,

Bella

Posted: 24 Jul 2009 4:38AM GMT
Bella, With the additional information I will do some more searching. I will see if I can find an obit and/or death certificate and will let you know. There will be no charge.

Rex

Posted: 24 Jul 2009 4:52AM GMT
God bless you, Rex. You will never know how much you are appreciated for such generosity of effort and time. At my age, I have come to realize how very valuable time is. Even if there is nothing to find, at least my family and I will have the satisfaction of knowing that every avenue was explored. You will always have a top spot on my prayer list.

Bella

Posted: 24 Jul 2009 4:29PM GMT
Andy Leath is indexing the obits/death notiices of the Tyler Daily Courier Times for East Texas Genealogical Society's quarterly East Texas Family Records. This starts with 1916. 1918 was published in the Winter 2008 & Spring 2009 (taken to printer Wednesday, will be mailed out hopefully next week). The 1919 will be published in Summer & Fall issues that I should be out shortly.

From that I find a entry:

Gregory, Mary - died in Tyler, published on 12 Oct 1918 page 4.

Copies are available from the Tyler Public Library for a nominal fee. E-mail to localhistdesk@tylertexas.com or call (903) 593-7323.

Scott Fitzgerald
East Texas Genealogical Society
Editor East TExas Family Records

Posted: 24 Jul 2009 6:20PM GMT
Thanks Scott,
I have already contacted Barbara at the Library. Now I can tell her which page the obit is on.

Looking forward to the indexes. Great work Andy!

Rex

Posted: 24 Jul 2009 8:38PM GMT
My Dear Rex,

It is not possible for me to thank you enough for the miracle of finding my dear Aunt Mary "Tom" Gregory. You have done a most wonderful thing and God will surely bless you for your kind and generous heart and spirit.

In Christian Love from an old lady in Corpus Christi, Texas,
who will forever be grateful and indebted to you.

Bella

Posted: 24 Jul 2009 11:12PM GMT
Bella,
Thanks to Scott, Andy and the nice ladies at the Tyler Public Library I now have the article that appeared on page 4, October 12, 1918 in the Tyler Daily Courier Times.
If you would like you may send me your mail address privately and I will mail you the article. In the meantime since the article is very short I will type it here:

"Mrs. Mary Gregory Died Early This Morning"
Mrs. Mary Gregory, a young woman died at a boarding house on South Vine street at an early hour this morning. Mr. and Mrs. Gregory had been attending Tyler Commercial College. Their home is at Thorndale, Texas, where the remains were prepared for shipment by Burks-Walker Undertaking Co."

Since she was one week short of her 16th birthday when she died and had only been married 33 days and her dad had died a few years before she did my thoughts would be she is probably buried in Thorndale near her dad. Although we haven't located a death certificate and there might not be one, my thinking would be that she succumbed to the 1918 influenza epidemic that swept over the United States from the East Coast to the West Coast where some 600,000 or more people died from influenza.

I hope I have been of some help to you in your research.

Rex

Posted: 25 Jul 2009 12:53AM GMT
Rex,

You are so dear. This bit of information is so precious to the family of Mary Gregory.

My address is: Bella Joe Mckenzie
2129 Meadowpass Drive
Corpus Christi, TX 78414-2605

Thank you so very much. You have a really big heart.

Bella
per page

Find a board about a specific topic