Search for content in message boards

How long to activate tree

How long to activate tree

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 3:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
I had a private tree online for at least 6 weeks. I recently made it "public". It still has not been activated either as a private or public tree. Can someone tell me how long it takes Ancestry.com to populate their data bases so that the tree can be seen by others?

Note: I have contacted Ancestry.com concerning this issue; the representative did not know. However, she was able to verify that the tree was not active.

Re: How long to activate tree

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 6:05AM GMT
What do you mean by not active?

Was your private tree indexed?

>>populate their data bases << huh?

The tree indexing occurs when Ancestry gets around to it. It's thought to be about every 6 weeks.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 6:08AM GMT
Your tree has to be indexed before showing up in a search on ACOM. The indexing has been fairly sketchy for a good while (weeks or months, take your pick). Hopefully, since its possibly in the hands of new owners, more effort will be put forth to take care of issues that have been unresolved for some time.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 8:14AM GMT
I uploaded one in around October last year and it took about 4-5 weeks before it began to appear in searches.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 1:24PM GMT
"Hopefully, since its possibly in the hands of new owners, more effort will be put forth to take care of issues that have been unresolved for some time."

New owners, SAME MANAGEMENT.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 2:04PM GMT
To test my tree I ran some obvious searches that should have brought the tree to the top or near the top of the search results. It never appeared. I suspected that Ancestry had not activated the tree or that they require some period of time to populate their databases and perform other procedural requirements in their systems for the tree to be visible in the system.

I apparently assume correctly based upon the replies that I have received to this posting.

I spent nearly 30 minutes with a “Help” desk representative discussing this issue. She was very nice and pleasant and tried to be helpful. However, she was not aware of the above or she was not allowed to inform the customer of the activation procedure and length of time it takes to integrate a new tree into their system.

My point: Ancestry should inform their customers that the customer’s trees will not appear active in their search routines until some time after the customer loads the tree to Ancestry.com which may be several weeks or a few months.

Thanks to all for your input.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 2:08PM GMT
To test my tree I ran some obvious searches that should have brought the tree to the top or near the top of the search results. It never appeared. I suspected that Ancestry had not activated the tree or that they require some period of time to populate their databases and perform other procedural requirements in their systems for the tree to be visible in the system.

I apparently assume correctly based upon the replies that I have received to this posting.

I spent nearly 30 minutes with a “Help” desk representative discussing this issue. She was very nice and pleasant and tried to be helpful. However, she was not aware of the above or she was not allowed to inform the customer of the activation procedure and length of time it takes to integrate a new tree into their system.

My point: Ancestry should inform their customers that the customer’s trees will not appear active in their search routines until some time after the customer loads the tree to Ancestry.com which may be several weeks or a few months.

Thanks to all for your input.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 4:17PM GMT
Maybe you spent 30 minutes on the phone because the CS didn't understand you. Your tree works, therefore it's "activated", what it's not is "indexed".

Ancestry doesn't "require some period of time to populate their databases". The member tree databases are plenty populated. The member tree database indexing is independent of all other ACOM collection db indexing.

You have two indexing choices with a private tree, it can be indexed or not indexed, which did you choose? If your private tree WAS indexed, go search private trees: http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1006

There is no indexing choice of a public tree, it's always indexed.

It's a couple/few weeks, not months for indexing.

Maybe you should make your point in feedback in the help section here: http://ancestry.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4549/kw...

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 6:36PM GMT
Thanks for your reply; I think we just have a terminology problem.

I found the following note in the private setup "Note: Although your privacy setting will change immediately to public or private, it usually takes about a month for this update to be reflected in the search index."

I would say at least a month. I ran a test tree and it was at least that long or longer before it appeared.

My present tree has been online for about three weeks.

My private tree is open to searches.

Bottom line: One just needs patience.

The CS was clueless, but nice.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 7:05PM GMT
There is no definitive indexing schedule. It happens when it happens, and how long it takes depends on when you upload your tree and when ancestry indexes. If you upload one today, and they index tomorrow, then you're lucky. If they index today, and you upload tomorrow, you may be waiting a week or two or eight before you see your tree in searches...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic