Search for content in message boards

Kerrs Of Scotland & Ireland

Kerrs Of Scotland & Ireland

Judy (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2003 8:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi there all

Well I thought it about time to post my Kerr family up again so would love to hear from anyone researching this family or even in the same area.

Thanks
Judy

John & Isobella (McBrairty) Kerr
1 Son known to date
James Kerr Born approx 1782 - 1793 in Ireland
Married Cecilia McLachlan/McLaughlin
James Died On: 17th May 1870 at 104 King Street, Tradeston, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland.

Children Of James & Cecilia Known to date.

1. John Kerr b.1811 in Ireland -
2. Mary Kerr born approx: 1825 in Ireland. Several Marriage possibilities known as
James Brown & Mary Kerr married 8 August 1852 in Glasgow.
James Graham 3 April 1853 to Mary Kerr in Barony.
Michael Docherty & Mary Kerr married 14May 1854 in Old Monkland.
James Lindsay & Mary Kerr Married: 25 June 1854 in Gorbals

3. Susan Kerr Born approx 1828-1836 in Ireland
Married James McNeil on the 25th January 1864 at St.Johns Chapel, Portugal Street, Hutchesontown, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
4. **BRIDGET KERR Born: 1830 in Killaghtee, Co. Donegal, Ireland. Married James Haughey On 10th June 1854 at Gorbals, Lanarkshire, Scotland. They had 11 children and immigrated to New Zealand in 1874 with 6 of their children. This is my Great Great Grandparents
5. Frances (Fanny) Kerr Born approx 1839-1843 in Ireland.
Married: William Samuel Parlett on the 12th September 1865 also at St.Johns Chapel, Portugal Street, Hutchesontown, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. They had 5 Children in Scotland and Immigrated to NZ around 1874 with 1 Child and had another 2 in NZ.
6. Ann Kerr Born approx 1841-1844 in Co.Donegal, Ireland. Married: Jeremiah McCartey On: 22nd July 1867 also at St.Johns Chapel, Portugal Street, Hutchesontown, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. They had 3 children in Glasgow and immigrated to NZ in mid 1874 and had another 5 children under the McCarthy Surname.

Re: Kerrs Of Scotland & Ireland

Posted: 3 Apr 2011 10:14PM GMT
Hi Judy,
Not sure if there is a connection, but I have a grandfather that was born in Holytown, Scotland and named Patrick A. Kerr and ironically he married a woman named Winifred Kerrs from Donegal, Ireland. Both were born 1888-1890s and immigrated to the US in the 1930s

Posted: 4 Apr 2011 12:23PM GMT
Surnames: Kerr, Henderson
Hello,

I just thought I'd add to this thread that my ancestor was a Patrick KERR. But, he had a different story. He was part of a family-group of 5 couples which left County Sligo, Ireland, in 1823. The other members were HENDERSON couples, possibly all were related somehow. The 9 people * were reported born in Sligotown in the 1780 - 1805 timeframe. They migrated to Canada and settled in the Province of Quebec. In Canada the then 5 couples had many children, and most survived. So, they had many descendants. And, for 20+ yrs. many people have researched them, and "none" of us can find out who the parents were back in Co. Sligo.

Since we know nothing about their parents and siblings back in Ireland, we also don't know if their parents originated in Scotland. But, in Canada, the men were referred to as "Irishmen."

Betty (near Lowell, MA, USA)

The 9 people born in Ireland were:
William and Mary (KERR) HENDERSON
Samuel and Catherine (?) HENDERSON
Patrick and Elizabeth (KERR?) KERR
Miss Elizabeth KERR (married in Canada)
John and Ann (HENDERSON) KERR

My great-great-grandparents were 2 of the children, Robert KERR and Elizabeth HENDERSON, b1827 in Canada, and reportedly cousins. They married there ~1850 and had 5 children. Between ~1872 and the 1880's, most of their family migrated down to Massachusetts. I am descended from their oldest son, William. The 4 children who came down to MA all married here.

Posted: 4 Apr 2011 1:18PM GMT
Very interesting because my ancestors all settled in MA as well and we are still here.

My grandmother was from Donegal, Ireland and met my grandfather there (Patrick Kerr) so he was in Ireland at some point, for some reason.

What I do know about him is that he was a singer on the radio back in those days and ended up settling in Norwood, MA until he died in 1982.

Since you are in Lowell, MA I wanted to mention that there is an Irish Cultrual Center here in Canton, MA and they have an ancestry library that might be worth checking out.

Cheers!

Posted: 4 Apr 2011 2:11PM GMT
Surnames: Kerr, Hannah
Hi again,

Thank you.

William KERR came down first and married Elizabeth HANNAH near Boston in 1876. She had arrived from Scotland as a 3-mos. old baby. Her parents had been born in County Donegal but married in Glasgow in 1854. They had 6 children, but William died unexpectedly in 1905. My great-grandmother had a 14 yr. old son and 10 yr. old daughter still with her. And her oldest daughter never married so lived with them to help out. I knew the 2 aunts as they lived in Lexington near us.

William's parents came down either in 1880's or 1890's, and the extended family lived in Malden and Everett, MA. The parents both died in 1904 and 1902. William's married sister lived in Medford and seems to have lived a long life. Their 2 younger brothers had gone out to Washington State shortly after marrying near Boston. They lived long lives, but their wives didn't. They never had children. When one brother died in 1950, his obituary stated that his brother had returned to Boston. I can't find that brother.

My gr-gr-grandparents are buried in Everett, and gr-grandparents are buried in Malden.

We don't get to the "South Shore" very often.

Betty

Posted: 22 Nov 2011 5:00PM GMT
I am trying to find out about my Kerr family my great-grandfather was Joseph Kerr from Massachusetts b. about 1847 It shows his mother and father were from Ireland I think his name was Marshal H. Kerr his wife not sure of her name. My great-grandfather Joseph married Mrs. Martha J Gillooly May 24, 1888 in Tennessee they had 1 daughter in Tenn. then moved to Missouri where they had 2 more girls my grandmother Catherine Kerr B. about 1889 and Martha Kerr b. about 1892. Can anybody help me i have been trying for years but still don't really know anything about that side of my family.
Catherine Kerr married my grand-father Elmer L. Green b. about 1894 in Missouri. they married about 1914 or 1915

Posted: 28 Nov 2011 3:32PM GMT
Hmmmm...not sure if this is helpful or not. My grandmother was Winifred Kerr (Kerrs was her maiden name) and married Patrick Kerr and came to the US around 1914 and resided in Norwood, MA. They were both from Donegal and were descendants of the family that built the O'Donnel castle....

Posted: 28 Nov 2011 3:59PM GMT
Surnames: Kerr, Green
Thank you for getting back to me so fast, I really can't say if it helps or not because i have no info on the Kerr side of my family Other than my great-grandfather was Joseph H. Kerr born 1847 in MA. My grandmother Catherine Kerr was born 1889 in missouri, Joseph Kerr list that both his parents were from Ireland, His wife Martha Maris born 1862 in Tn. both of her parents are listed as being from Ireland in the 1900 census, That is all I know about That side of my family, My dad really was know help by the time i found him he was in his mid 80's, he said he stayed with his aunts alot Elizabeth(Ellen) and Martha in Arkansas
Thank you again for your help
Diana
per page

Find a board about a specific topic