Search for content in message boards

Powers Family from Kentucky

Powers Family from Kentucky

Kristen Powers (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2001 9:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 May 2002 3:00AM GMT
Surnames: Powers
looking for any information regarding the Powers family in KY. I am stuck with this little bit of information....My grandfather was Charles Caleb Powers. Married Mary and had a son John Wayne. I was told that my grandfather's ancestors came from Ireland but have no idea where or what happened afterwards. Any information would be appreciated. email me at krislynn90@hotmail.com thank you.
Posted: 11 May 2001 8:29PM GMT
Edited: 28 Apr 2002 2:15PM GMT
My great great- gran father was John Henry Powers some of his family came from Kentucky north Carolina. Shipped in from England.
Posted: 10 Jun 2001 11:26AM GMT
Edited: 18 Apr 2002 9:15PM GMT
I'm also looking for Powers from Ky. My G.G. Grandfather was Calvin Powers died 1896 in Cunningham Ky.

Re: Powers Family from Kentucky

Posted: 13 Jul 2002 6:24AM GMT
Edited: 14 Jul 2002 12:38PM GMT
Surnames: Powers, Hunter
I have a charles powers b.1824 in ohio co.ky. parents were john powers and nancy hunter. johns father was charles and came from enniskillen ireland. don't know if this is the same charles or not.

Phyllis Hall (View posts)
Posted: 11 Oct 2002 10:44PM GMT
Edited: 12 Oct 2002 12:11PM GMT
Surnames: Powers, Swift
Do you have a Rubin Powers in your line? We are looking for our GreatGrandfather His wife was Mattie Margaret SwiftPowers ,if you have a name email me at pnbhall04@aol.com thank you Phyllis Hall

Posted: 7 Aug 2011 6:45PM GMT
I've just started to look for my mothers family. I know her mother was Cute Powers Shafer, born 1890 near Avery, Tx and that her father (not sure of his first name) was born in 1854, somewhere SE of Corbin Ky. His wife Anne Powers was born in TN. Anything you can tell me would be of interest, and I can share some information on my grandmothers brothers and sisters and their Indian Territory/ Oklahoma kin. My understanding is that this branch of the Powers Family first came into KY, from Ireland by way of SC in the mid 1700's.

Posted: 2 Oct 2011 6:56PM GMT
Kristen,
I know of one Powers family of Kentucky that came here from Ireland before the American Revolution. There are some who claim that a Powers was on the Mayflower. There were two brothers named Jesse and Eliakim born in Virginia that later moved to Kentucky when the elder, Jesse, was granted land for his participation in the Rev. war. They settled in what was then Knox Co. that became Whitley Co. in 1818. In 1869 there was born a Caleb Powers who, as the newly appointed Sec. of State was convicted and sentenced to die for complicity in the killed of Gov. Wm. Goebel. On his 3rd appeal, 8 yrs later, he was acquitted and went on to spend 19 yrs in Congress as the Representative from Ky. He is buried in the Barbourville Cemetery. because of his notoriety in that part of Ky, many folk named their children after him. Perhaps your Grandfather is one of them. Can we assume the John Wayne Powers is/was your father? Do you have any dates and places that might point a researcher in the right direction? This Powers family just mentioned is only one of many that took up roots in Ky.

Posted: 30 Dec 2011 6:21PM GMT
Surnames: powers
What part of ky? My family is all over graves county and mccracken county. Still trying to hunt down the parents of William Powers that was married to Fannie Hunter Powers. His son was john Calvin powers who was married to Carrie mae Curtis powers and his son john Curtis powers that was married to thelma Lurline Hodges powers was my grandfather. One thing for sure, originality in names is not a powers strong point. I've searched 113 William powers and still haven't found the right one

Posted: 5 Apr 2012 8:09PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 17 Oct 2012 3:47AM GMT

Posted: 22 Jul 2012 11:54PM GMT
Yes I've looked. Although William was brother to Caleb powers, politician accused of murder, I have yet to find a Jesse in our powers line.
William "Bill" and Fannie Hunter had 2 boys that I am aware of. John Calvin and William Lawrence "Larry" I'm unsure if there were any daughters. John Calvin fathered 2 boys and 2 girls with his wife Carrie Curtis Powers : John Curtis Powers, Lawrence "Buddy" Powers, Bonnie, and Ruenelle.
Larry had 2 girls and 1 boy that I am aware of but I do not have their names currently in front of me.
John Calvin and his children stayed close to melber Kentucky and are burie in graves county Kentucky.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions