Search for content in message boards

Direct Ancestor Designation

Direct Ancestor Designation

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 5:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Probably this info is already here somewhere but I am not very good at knowing how to search / narrow down this topic.

I keep seeing this "Direct Ancestor" symbol and I wonder what it means? I mean, we are all the direct ancestor of somebody?

Re: Direct Ancestor Designation

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 9:31PM GMT
I think it means that it is in your direct line, i.e. parent, grandparent, greatgrandparent and so on, as opposed to being an aunt or uncle or cousin

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 9:59PM GMT
I would interpret it the same way - that this is from the perspective of the home person of the tree, tracing backwards.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 11:21PM GMT
"I mean, we are all the direct ancestor of somebody?"

No, your direct ancestors are your forebears. We are all direct ~descendants~ of a whole lot of somebodies.

Many people, past and present, are not ancestors of anyone at all, whether due to early death, choice, or other factors.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 11:35PM GMT
Okay, thanks. I'm not sure than what the emphasis is or the big deal about the direct descendant sign. Not to be a smart @$$ I'm just saying it seems kind of silly to me, I mean everyone can tell looking in my tree that I am my father's daughter? Maybe I'm missing something or not, anyway thanks.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 11:37PM GMT
Thank you, it seems you two are correct.

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 5:45PM GMT
I thought the same thing, but I discovered that when you have a bunch of people in your tree, i.e. aunts, uncles, cousins, inlaws, like I do, it helps you navigate through which ones are your direct line.

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 6:08PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2013 3:32PM GMT
" but I discovered that when you have a bunch of people in your tree, i.e. aunts, uncles, cousins, inlaws"

Siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. are not direct ancestors.

Direct ancestral lines grow exponentially, the number of direct ancestors doubles (abt) every 25 years.

10 generations = 1012 direct ancestors
8 generations = 265 direct ancestors
7 generations = 128 direct ancestors
6 generations = 64 direct ancestors
5 generations = 32 direct ancestors
4 generations = 16 direct ancestors
3 generations = 8 = great grandparents
2 generations = 4 = grandparents
1 generations = 2 = parents

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 6:19PM GMT
exactly! And when you list all of those people's brothers and sisters, it gets hard to distinguish which person in the family is your direct ancestor.

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 8:38PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2013 8:39PM GMT
There's another current discussion of using "icons" (on Ancestry this requires a photograph/picture that serves as an icon) to designate direct lines, immigrants, any and everything that someone wants to highlight. The use of these "icons" generates hints to other trees (if your tree is public), some are of the opinion that it's a lot of clutter.

There is also the question of how these "icons" will transfer to a desk-top genealogy program, ie, downloading and creating a GED from your Ancestry.com tree. Unless you're using FTM, those pics/icons won't transfer.

The old and tried and true method to designate direct lines, is to CAP the surname of the direct ancestor. This translates well to all other programs, and most recognize the CAPPED surnames are the direct lines, without additional explanation. Keep it lean and mean.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic